WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Sorry to have missed you maybe on the next pass we will meet. How were the rocks around the fire pit holding up? i keep meaning to concrete them into place but just have a hard time motivating myself to haul it up the hill.
    Not so great, when we got there we were alone and there was a huge stump (probably had been a chair) smouldering in the fire pit. and a bunch of stones were off to the side. We moved stump and tried to better wall in the embers since we weren't at fire side the whole time (setting up camp etc.)

welllll the kids were not pleased with us since it had been their doing. Never the less after I pointed out that it was very windy and the sparks could start a fire - they didn't leave it alone again....but that stump got burned over night.
    ~Christy

the one weekend i had free this month and no heads up? what's up with that? jk sounds like you had fun in my backyard

TinMan - I totaly sent you a PM! LOL becasue we were in your backyard and I figured hey maybe I will get to meet Tin Man or Sasquatch, instead I met MedicinMan and Painted Turtle
    ~Christy

August 8th, 2011 - decent shelter with tenting sites downhill which are downhill. "Unreliable stream" is unreliable, dry when we got there last week. It is .7 miles from the Champion residence, a purple house north of the shelter on Dover Road/County 20. I found the tap in the driveway to be a real luxury. If southbound, turn left on Dover Rd. and the first house on the right is the Champion's - you cannot see the tap from the road, so walk down the gravel driveway and the tap is clearly marked on the right of the gate. Short but tough hill to the Telephone Pioneers shelter heading south. Easy 3 miles to county road 22 heading north, hot dog stand on the right hand side of 22 if you are so inclined. Beer store 2.8 miles north on 22.

Images

My wife and I spent the night of 11/29/13 tenting at the shelter site. There are a few tent sites up hill from the shelter. The shelter was in good repair with a picnic table and a stone fire place out front. The stream had water as did a number of small streams between the shelter and route 55.

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I went by yesterday, I didn't go to the shelter, but the stream was dried up so bring water up with you.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I went by yesterday, I didn't go to the shelter, but the stream was dried up so bring water up with you.
    It was still dry after all the rain on Saturday? Ouch.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

has anyone been out to the shelter in the last couple days/weeks? will be out there soon and am curious about the stream - is it reliable at the moment?
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries

Planning to hike there on Sat, Post a reminder if I forget.

Images

depending on when you're out there, you may run into us at the shelter or on the trail! headed sobo from 22 friday for an overnight section hike. if you see a blue camp towel on a black pack, that's your new buddy linus! (that blue towel alas got me my trail name)

Images

was up there last night. IMPORTANT NOTE - the Champion residence - the pink house on dover rd north of the shelter and quoted as a water source in AWOL's guide - is for sale and the water spigot in the driveway was NOT on. However there was a small stream just west of the road on the trail in a boggy area that we filled up at, and the stream by the shelter was running. After a deluge overnight, this stream was running much more, and all sources from the shelter southwest to RT 55 were running high this morning on the hike out. This could change but as of today there's a lot of water to be had. I will update AWOL in his guide about the champion house if its not already on there or on his website.

anyone been up by the Telephone pioneers shelter lately? We are doing a section over there in 2 weeks and I have read that the water isn't reliable. Any word? Also, according to my Guthooks app, it says the purple house has a spigot available, does that still hold true?
    Thanks in advance
    check out my blog - Hilltackler...answering the call of the trail.
    hilltackler.com

Glad I stashed water near the Dover Oak...the water source near and at the Telephone Pioneers shelter is dry, dry, dry!
    check out my blog - Hilltackler...answering the call of the trail.
    hilltackler.com

Images

My wife and I were there a week or so ago.
    The shelter and privy were in good shape, the stream was running because of snow melt, there's an enclosed box on the front of the shelter with books for a book exchange library. The natural surrounding were in good shape too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Spent the night during my "01" thru. It was well maintained but you could see evidence of being use by a lot of locals to party. As I remember it was quite close to the road.
    Grampie-N->2001

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++