WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pack/Tent combo ?

I am undecided about which pack/tent combo to get. I am asking for help. I don't have alot of money to spend so I am picking some not so pricey items. I am not into the ultra lite when it comes to shelters, so keep that in mind. The packs and tents that I have listed are ones that I like. Which pack/tent combo would you recommend?

Vapor Trail, Nimbus Ozone, Golite Pinnacle

Clip Flashlight or Lightyear or Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1

Thanks

Hike smarter, not harder.

I like my Pinnacle, and it's huge, but don't overload it. The tents don't do a thing for me, so I can't help you there. Watch long enough and be patient, you could probably find a ULA pack used.

Images

The Granite Gear packs are well made. You might also look at ULA and Six Moons Designs, as well as the Osprey Atmos and Exos packs.

Those tents don't do anything for me, either. The SL1 is tiny, the Flashlight is heavy. I have been using tarps and tarptents for so long that I just couldn't go back to a double wall tent.

Where in NC are you? If you can manage a day trip to the mountains, there are several terrific outfitters where you can get a look at gear that the local places don't carry.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I use the Vapor Trail and Cloudburst II tarptent combo, 5 lbs total but a little pricey. Worth it if you are going the extra miles.

Garlic
    Images

ULA packs are really popular, on the heavy end of lightweight, and they last. Tarptents are also very popular, a compromise between ultralight tarps and double wall tents, and are well made and last many miles.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I don't think you have to look at it as a "combo". You are looking at items that all play well with each other. As long as you don't get silly with a huge tent you are fine.

I have the GG Vapor Trail pack and it is amazingly comfortable. I hate the way it loads but have learned to live with it.

I just put my Osprey Aether 60 on this weekend, in planning for a long trip (needed the space and the 60 holds a bearikade nicely), and realized again how comfortable the Vapor Trail is. I now almost hate the feel of my Osprey.

Re tents: Do take a look at the Six Moon Designs products. I personally would consider the Lunar Duo for a thru. I've had buddies switch from the Solo to the Duo and have not looked back. For an extra pound and a half you get an amazing amount of space. Four people can play cards in the thing. If you are going to be living in a tent for half a year I think it would be nice to have the room.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Default pack\tent combo?

good old trusty Kelty products.ky

Of the options you listed, I believe your best choices are the Vapor Trail and Seedhouse SL1. They give you the best value of weight to durability.

Of the packs, unless you are carrying over 35 lbs on a regular basis, the Nimbus Ozone is probably more pack than you will need. If you are relatively inexperienced and aren't used to going pretty light, the Pinnacle may not be enough pack.

I have no experience with any of the tents you listed but based on what I've read the weights of the tents are very comparable, but the Seedhouse appears to me to afford a bit more durability and weather protection than the other two.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Default Sl 1

I'm not a fan of one man tents myself. But the SL 1 is on sale for $187 here http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=bag0037

Thanks for all the advice. Heard some things that I needed to hear.

Images

Personally I like the ULA Ohm and Tarptent SubliteSil. Planning on rocking this setup on my thru in 2011.

mtnkngxt...2011 is a long way away. If you are a gear-a-holic like many of us, you'll probably change your mind about 20 times before you leave Springer (or Katahdin).

Hike smarter, not harder.

2011? No telling how many tents I will have gone thru by then. But one of them will be a Sublite; that tyvek would be perfect for where I live. And a new 2 and 4 person Tarptent are coming out in the next week or so, we I'll have to see what those look like.

The feature, or lack thereof, that I don't like about the Seedhouse is the lack of a vestibule. I got an MSR Hubba last year and I love it. Lots of room for wet gear under the vestibule, but not in with me. The least condensation of any tent I've used (The SD Clip Flashlight and Lightyear, Eureka Spitfire and TT Contrail). Please note, however, that my version of the Hubba has mostly mesh inner walls. The newer version with more fabric than mesh will probably not ventilate as well.

I'm really, really happy with both my Six Moon Designs packs.

Images

I have both the Clip Flashlight and the Vapor trail. The Vapor trail is awesome but the Clip Flashlight not so much. It is cramped for 2 people and much too heavy for just one person. There are tents which are as much lighter and more spacious for not much more money.

If you do decide on the Vapor Trail, be certain you get a pack with a belt in your size. I needed a large to fit my torso and forgot to specify a medium waist belt. The large waist belt was way too big and it is a pain to swap it out...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Manventureoutpost.com has the BA Seedhouse SL1 for $161.28

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rickosovitch View Post
    The feature, or lack thereof, that I don't like about the Seedhouse is the lack of a vestibule. I got an MSR Hubba last year and I love it. Lots of room for wet gear under the vestibule, but not in with me. The least condensation of any tent I've used (The SD Clip Flashlight and Lightyear, Eureka Spitfire and TT Contrail). Please note, however, that my version of the Hubba has mostly mesh inner walls. The newer version with more fabric than mesh will probably not ventilate as well.

I'm really, really happy with both my Six Moon Designs packs.
    The Big Agnes SL1 has a vestibule.

The MSR Hubba comes in two flavors - one with a mesh inner and one with a fabric inner for cooler conditions. MSR also produces the Carbon Reflex 1 which is essentially a Hubba that has a carbon fibre pole and is not freestanding (but about 1 pound less in weight). This model only has a mesh inner.

Go with the 2 lightest as the gear you listed is all good quality.

The new Clip Flashlights have a mesh body, different and lighter than the old ones. Used ones come up used pretty often if you are out to save a buck.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    MSR also produces the Carbon Reflex 1 which is essentially a Hubba that has a carbon fibre pole and is not freestanding (but about 1 pound less in weight).
    That's exactly what it is. For $449 too!

For $144, you can get CF replacement poles for the Hubba and save 6 oz.

http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles2B.asp

My Hubba weighs 3.5 lbs packed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++