WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Weird, funky shelter. Cinder block structure. Smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood. You can have pizzas delivered there. Not quite the "wilderness experience."

Not really any wilderness in this (that) part of NY, just some trees in between the neighborhoods.

Images

Default Seasonal

Quote Originally Posted by kritter View Post
    is this shelter closed in the winter. i went backpacking in january last year and it was all locked up, i hate having to carry a tent along with my winter gear so i rely on shelters for the most part, and RPH is super nice inside i'd be great to sleep their to get out of the elements this time around
    they do say that the shelter is seasonal but not really sure I know that they try to have it closed for the hunting season but not sure if they open it after that. I can ask one of the local supervisors for you if you know exactly when you were planning on being in the area to see if it would be open then.

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

The AT is a thin strip of federal and state lands in this area from east shore of the Hudson to the CT border. That includes the following shelters: RPH, Morgan Stewart, Telephone Pioneers. The above stretch of AT is arguably the most boring hike on the AT. It's about 50 miles of hiking between trees with perhaps 3 tree-blocked vistas and 2 lake views.

Someone should post the number of that pizza delivery place @ RPH.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vipahman View Post
    The AT is a thin strip of federal and state lands in this area from east shore of the Hudson to the CT border. That includes the following shelters: RPH, Morgan Stewart, Telephone Pioneers. The above stretch of AT is arguably the most boring hike on the AT. It's about 50 miles of hiking between trees with perhaps 3 tree-blocked vistas and 2 lake views.

Maybe you should hike it again. I agree that there are parts that are the typical mundane stuff you see. They do call it the green tunnel for a reason. As for the views. I know from just south of the RPH to just North of the Dover oak of at least 5 views where on clear days you will see a minimum of 25 miles. On three of these views you can see the Catskills on the west side of the Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Maybe you should hike it again. I agree that there are parts that are the typical mundane stuff you see. They do call it the green tunnel for a reason. As for the views. I know from just south of the RPH to just North of the Dover oak of at least 5 views where on clear days you will see a minimum of 25 miles. On three of these views you can see the Catskills on the west side of the Hudson.
    Nuclear Lake is kind of cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by vipahman View Post
    Indeed, pizza at RPH was a strange and unique experience. .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Weird, funky shelter. Cinder block structure. Smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood. You can have pizzas delivered there. Not quite the "wilderness experience."
    As I understand it the RPH used to be part of that residential neighborhood. It was a home on that track of land when the National Park Service bought it. The wooden part of the structure was taken down and the cabin is all that remains. There used to be a garage there too, up near the road.

II Cat and I hiked through there last year and the Nuclear Lake was as blue as you can imagine, and as much as I like wilderness travel I never turn down pizza delivered to a shelter. It was a cool and quiet night as I recall, we were the only residents.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

If anyone wants there is a house with about 51 acres for sale just down the road from the shelter. I think it is on for like $700,000.

Images

i swam in nuclear lake **GULP***

Images

Quote Originally Posted by High Life View Post
    i swam in nuclear lake **GULP***
    Did you notice the two headed fish that glow in the dark ?

Images

I don't know but i think that I would rather take water from Nuclear lake than the pump at the the RPH shelter. That is just some nasty looking water there. Tons of iron. I know it tests ok but still it just looks so nasty

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

:banana The 9th annual RPH Cabin Volunteers Workparty, July 11,12,13

The 9th Annual RPH Cabin Volunteers Workparty
    RPH Shelter July 11,12,13, 2008

This years projects:
    Heavy rains these past three years have caused erosion on the Appalachian trail near the RPH Cabin.

This years projects will include building treadways and water bars and installing stone steps to protect the trail from further damage. We'll also be adding some supports to the newly built bridge behind the cabin. We'll also be adding a wind vent to the outhouse. (ahhh...finally)

As always we'll be camping out and cooking breakfast lunch and dinner for the workers and hikers Fri, Sat & Sun, Bring your enthusiasm & appetite!
    You will be well fed!

Contact Tim: [email protected] for more info!

Kevin's note... This is a great weekend event that gets current thrus, past thrus, day dreamers and weekend warriors out for some fun, talking trail trash, and giving back to the trail. Tim has grown this event on his own and has made it a great time... It is all volunteer run!

edia Copyright © 2003-2008 Tim Messerich Updated: May 18, 2008

Images

Default It's This Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A. Boyce View Post
    The 9th Annual RPH Cabin Volunteers Workparty

RPH Shelter July 11,12,13, 2008

This years projects:
    Heavy rains these past three years have caused erosion on the Appalachian trail near the RPH Cabin.

This years projects will include building treadways and water bars and installing stone steps to protect the trail from further damage. We'll also be adding some supports to the newly built bridge behind the cabin. We'll also be adding a wind vent to the outhouse. (ahhh...finally)

As always we'll be camping out and cooking breakfast lunch and dinner for the workers and hikers Fri, Sat & Sun, Bring your enthusiasm & appetite!
    You will be well fed!

Contact Tim: [email protected] for more info!

Kevin's note... This is a great weekend event that gets current thrus, past thrus, day dreamers and weekend warriors out for some fun, talking trail trash, and giving back to the trail. Tim has grown this event on his own and has made it a great time... It is all volunteer run!

edDiDon't miss out if you are in the areaa Copyright © 2003-2008 Tim Messerich Updated: May 18, 2008

Don't miss out if you are in the area this weekend it will be a great time and a lot of great work gets done as well. I am going to try to get there on Sat. But have to head out of town leaving Sun AM at 2:30!!!! Yikes. Hope to get there though. It would be awsome to see some fellow WB folks there.

Images

Hoping to be there for Saturday
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

I expect to be there Sunday.

So does anyone have the # for this pizza place? and how late do they deliver? I am planing a SOBO section in november
    ~Christy

Images

Not sure but a few posts below this you will see a big picture and in the text is the Email for Tim drop him a lie and he may know off the top of his head.

I didn't make the call, when I was there... but I vaguely recall that there was a menu from the pizza place taped to the wall inside the shelter. That was in 2005, so who knows if it's still there...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++