WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

One of the pizza joints closed but a new one delivers but not sure the name or number for it. It is most likely posted somewhere in the shelter or the shelter log. Keep in mind that this is one of the few shelters that gets closed in the fall. They claim that it is due to issues with Hunting season.

Default Pizza

As of 2006 there was a menu at the shelter. Get the total price and delivery fee read back to you before hanging -up. Good pizza and real big slices but the drivers will up the price a couple bucks when they arrive-call them on their own scam-most are affraid the hikers won't tip. Order a 2-liter soda too because the well water is cold but real rusty.

Images

Very lovely shelter. More like a house missing one wall than the usual rough-hewn designs. Bunks inside. Several menus from local food outlets that deliver.

The shelter is at a low point, actually on a local road with a couple of houses nearby. This must make it convenient for the maintainer. The nearby Shenandoah Tenting Area is also very nicely kept up.

Somebody left a pair of Bass leather hiking boots that were there this past Labor Day weekend. A zip-lock bag inside one of the boots contained a SASE, a sheet of writing paper, and a note requesting the new owner of the boots to write the old owner and update him on how the shoes ended up.

Images

So I was one of the dubes foolish enough to drink RPH's water (with the help of instant lemonade powder), and boy way that a mistake. I was there early July, 2008, and have had intestinal problems ever since. I thought it would go away with time, but it didn't, so I went to a doctor, took meds, nothing. Stool samples were all negative. Since then have been to 3 other doctors, taken a few more meds, and still nothing results. I know some other '08 thru-hikers got sick here. Was anyone actually diagnosed with something they got from RPH water?

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toad '08 View Post
    So I was one of the dubes foolish enough to drink RPH's water (with the help of instant lemonade powder), and boy way that a mistake. I was there early July, 2008, and have had intestinal problems ever since. I thought it would go away with time, but it didn't, so I went to a doctor, took meds, nothing. Stool samples were all negative. Since then have been to 3 other doctors, taken a few more meds, and still nothing results. I know some other '08 thru-hikers got sick here. Was anyone actually diagnosed with something they got from RPH water?

I musta drank 2 liters of water straight from that pump in June 09.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

I've had water from that pump a bunch of times, with no ill effects.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    Very lovely shelter. More like a house missing one wall than the usual rough-hewn designs. Bunks inside. Several menus from local food outlets that deliver.

The shelter is at a low point, actually on a local road with a couple of houses nearby. .......
    My understanding is that the RPH shelter is what's left of a house that was on the property when the National Park Service got it. The wooden part of the house was removed and the part made out of cement blocks was left as the shelter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    I musta drank 2 liters of water straight from that pump in June 09.
    They do test the water a few times a year and there have been times that it has tested for low levels of Ecoli. There is a note at the shelter saying that you should filter or treat all water. I am not sure what the latest test results are but you can ask. Contact the NYNJ Trail Conference. I did hear of some hikers who were having water issues from water earlier this year. One of them actually believes that the bad water that they got was just before they got into NY and that it just didn't really begin to effect them until a few days later.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    They do test the water a few times a year and there have been times that it has tested for low levels of Ecoli. There is a note at the shelter saying that you should filter or treat all water. I am not sure what the latest test results are but you can ask. Contact the NYNJ Trail Conference. I did hear of some hikers who were having water issues from water earlier this year. One of them actually believes that the bad water that they got was just before they got into NY and that it just didn't really begin to effect them until a few days later.
    Ah Sasquatch, You had breakfast with me and my group at the inn at the long trail at the beginning of August.

Different strokes for different folks. I've had tonnes of NJ/NY/CT water without issue. Then I've had the schlitz from filtering spring water in the catskills
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

I had lunch there on Wednesday, August 10th, 2011. I think it's very nice - four walls but no doors, nice covered area to eat and a pump within 30 feet - needs to be filtered. Privy is close by but if you cannot do the privy, your options are limited as it is 1/3 mile from a road and there are homes nearby. Shenandoah tenting area is just 1.3 further south, but if you have inclement weather threatening, hunker down because the next shelter south is 32 miles. Camping on "the unmarked trail" to Clarence Fahnestock North Campground is a joke - 1/5 of a mile straight downhill and then another mile to the campground.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++