WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to hike in WI to prep for AT????

Ok, so i just moved back to Wisconsin after living in Ohio for 8 years. I didn't realize how many different hiking opprotunities I had down there until I moved back here.

So anyway, I want to get some miles in for my brother and I before our section hike on the AT in late April. I am in Green Bay, WI and the closer the better.

But I'd like to find something where we can hike 7-10 miles a day camp overnight to get him used to the gear setup, etc, and then hike another 7-10 miles out.

I bought the 50 Hikes in WI book, but those are mostly 5mi or less hikes. Can someone please reco either a stretch on the IAT or other places in WI????

Last october i hiked the south kettle moraine section, if i remember right it had 30 miles of continous trail, the hiking was realitively easy so expect to hike long distances. Also there is north kettle moraine, or i think the ice age east terminus is near green bay.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Northern Kettle Moraine

For a fairly long trail section, try the Northern Kettle Moraine. You need to call 888-947-2757 to reserve the shelters along the way if you want to do overnight camping.
    Start at the trailhead just east of Glenbeulah, WI (off Hwy P in Sheboygan County). There is parking there, just make sure you can park for extended lengths of time. I used the Ice Age Trail maps and made rough estimates of mileage between shelters so these may be off a little. A bogger on this site named "Ice Age" may have more precise figures for you.
    The first shelter south of the trailhead is 6+ miles at Greenbush Kettle (shelter no. 5). The next shelter is about 3 1/2 miles (shelter no. 4 near Parnell Tower) while the next one is shelter no. 3 about 5 1/2 miles south near Reuss Ice Age Interpretive Center. The center is worth definitely worth the stop.
    Shelter no. 2 is 5+ miles from there north of New Fane. South of New Fane, near Kewauskum, is the last shelter, no. 1, which is about 7 miles from shelter no. 2. If you decide to go and end up at shelters no. 2 or 1, let me know: me and my boys will meet you there and help share the cost of the shelter (if its a weekend).
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Journal Entries
    Images

I mean "blogger"

Do you still need reservations if you pitch tents each night?

Is it safe to say you can do 20mile days? The north section looks like 32 miles as well as the southern. So could we do start to finish in 3 days?

The IAT also does a loop through Devil's Lake State Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    The IAT also does a loop through Devil's Lake State Park.
    Is that a special area or something??

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

IAT=Ice Age Trail

its a 1100 mile trail thru WI

http://www.iceagetrail.org/index.htm
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

But not all strung together. A lot of gaps.

FWIW I did some hiking out there summer 2007 - trails listed as the most dificult would be rated as flat on the AT. Just so you know.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by webejpn01 View Post
    Ok, so i just moved back to Wisconsin after living in Ohio for 8 years. I didn't realize how many different hiking opprotunities I had down there until I moved back here.

So anyway, I want to get some miles in for my brother and I before our section hike on the AT in late April. I am in Green Bay, WI and the closer the better.
    You're not far from the UP of Michigan, and there are excellent trails there. You could hit the Porcupine Mountains, or do my favorite trail section in the world: the North Country Trail through Pictured Rocks, between Grand Marais and Munising.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

I would say the closest thing I've seen was Devils Lake. It's all pretty much dayhiking, but you can camp there. I hiked there a few times to get ready for the AT. You can pretty much hike the whole park in a day. Potholes and CCC are the most rugged trails Ive encountered in the area. They are kinda like the AT only much shorter.

Images

Join the IAPTF for sure. Cool people and a wealth of info. Nothing close to Green Bay that sticks out in my mind as far as training. Fill your pack with Old Style and walk to the Mars Cheese Castle. Devil's Lake is sweet, but avoid it on the weekends!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Definitely join the foundation. They can use help connecting pieces of the trail together. In fact, there's a large gap between Casco near Green Bay and Glenbeulah. I still think you can get a good hike in starting at Glenbeulah which is only 56 miles from Green Bay.

-

I will second pictured rocks lakeshore

check out the north country trail I believe it runs thru there.

My wife and I hiked Devils Lake for a shakedown of our gear for the AT in 2007. After hiking half the AT in 08 I see that this was possibly the closest to the terrain. I would add hiking the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is fairly close too. So if looking to where to do a shakedown hike for the AT in the upper midwest check those spots out. ....then there is the Greenstone on Isle Royale or the Superior hiking trail...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    But not all strung together. A lot of gaps.

FWIW I did some hiking out there summer 2007 - trails listed as the most dificult would be rated as flat on the AT. Just so you know.
    Ya, I pretty much like going to other trails to report on how much they suck, too.

Images

Stair stepper with a 30-35 pound pack. Up & down as steep a hill as you can find is best, take it easy when starting the AT - NOT too many miles early on!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    Ya, I pretty much like going to other trails to report on how much they suck, too.
    I think Sarge was just being honest. There are a lot of gaps, and a lot of flat spots. The gaps we are working on, the terrain is hard to change.

I would say try Isle Royale a hike to Lane Cove then to Daisy Farm for a long weekend, or in the U.P. the "Porky's" or Pictured Rocks is very scenic but quite flat, great for a gear shakedown, some exercise, and lots of wildlife.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++