WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gortex or no gortex?!??

Getting ready to leave in april, and one of my last purchases is the boots. I have been trying ones on and bought a pair and took them back over the last few weeks. My major concern is the gortex lining offered in the boots, I cannot come to the decision on whether I want the waterproof layer at the expensive of potentially longer drying heavier gortex.

The pair of asolo's I bought had gortex but I just took them back, for possibly buying the others that fit better and have no gortex and are simply "water resistant".

Any thoughts would help.

Saw Lion King this past weekend at H. Ferry. Great help, completetly stoked our fires for the upcoming hike. Great to meet, cool trail hiker.

Images

No Goretex.

Imagine hiking in hot weather. Now imagine hiking in hot weather with a goretex jacket on.

Same thing for your feet.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I've worn gortex boots only once (during my 2008 trip) and I can't tell the difference between those boots and my leather boots (as far as sweat goes). And when it rains you may be able to step in a puddle and keep your feet dry, but what's the point when the rain runs down your leg.

I got a wicked case of Jungle Rot with Gortex boots.....I would vote no, but everyone is different I suppose.

Default A footbath in the wilderness

Skip it.

If you go for it, you'll STILL have wet feet, but it'll be from sweat.

And don't worry about keeping the rain out. There's no such thing as a waterproof shoe on the Appalachian Trail. If it rains hard enough or often enough, or long enough, your feet are gonna get wet, period.

Images

That's easy: no goretex.

Unless, of course, you don't like the skin on your feet. Then, goretex all the way.

(Says the girl who soaked her goretex boots on the first day of a three day backpacking trip, could never get them dry, and lost a significant portion of foot skin as a result.)

Images

There is a equasion that shows the longer it takes boots to get wet on the inside, the longer it takes to dry them out. So Goretex takes about 3 days to get soaked on the inside and 9 to dry.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Non Goretex Asolo FSN 85's work for me.

Gore Tex definitely has limited uses, and there has been a shift over the years to get away from it, especially with cheaper, more breathable fabrics that have been developed with slightly less waterproof levels, yet still good enough to repel the hardest rain.

Gore Tex in footwear is something I never really understood. It's kinda like having a Gore Tex jacked with no hood, because you can't stop the water from running down your legs and into your boots/shoes.

I've found lighter, more breathable footwear is much better for me atleast, cause it can dry out in a matter of hours with a good breeze and decent sun. A water logged Gore Tex boot will take days to dry out, and considering you lift you foot over 1000 times per mile, that's a clear weight issue, and cost.

Images

My Rocky boots are lined with Gortex and found out first hand that after hiking 8 miles in the pouring rain in the Smokies my feet still got soaked. It was on day 3 of 6 and by day 6 when I arrived at Fontana they were still wet inside somewhat. I have since waterproofed them with Nikwax, the salesman at REI reminded me that Gortex is on the inside of the boot and you need to protect the outside to prevent water getting inside to where the Gortex is. I don't think there any hotter on my feet in the summer, but I assume everyones feet reacts differently when it comes to sweating and foot odor.

Journal Entries
    Images

Gortex is somewhat heavy, overrated, and uneeded on the AT.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

This discussion about footware should always be predicated on the time of year you are talking about hiking.

I agree Gortex is not advisable for warm weather hiking. But I would never hike without waterproof breathable boots in cold weather. I do most of my hiking late fall to early spring and except for rare, extremely prolonged periods of rain, my feet stay dry. On those very rare occassions when my boots do get wet inside, they always dry out after a few hours walking in them in dry weather.

Just last week I did a 6 day section hike. Several of those days I was walking in wet, slushy snow with temps in the low to mid 30s. I was wearing a pair of Keen waterproof boots and not once did my socks get wet. I did not even have to change socks when I arrived in camp. I would have been extremely uncomfortable in non-waterproof boot.

For me there is nothing worse than walking all day with wet cold feet.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Totally agree with Bulldog. Goretex trail runners are awesome in winter hiking and in prolonged cold rain (when worn properly with gaiters and w/b pants). Mesh trail runners are awesome the rest of the year.

The tricky part is deciding when to make the switch. March and April can throw some serious snow, deep muddy trails, and cold rain at hikers in the South.

If you are going to use leather boots for a thru-hike, I would strongly vote in favor of non-Goretex.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

But you don't ned goretex to be built into the shoe to get the benifit of Goretex. Get socks made out of goretex and you can wear it when you need it and take it off when you don't. Sort of like a rain jacket for your toes.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Every review I've read about Gore-Tex socks has been negative. The Gore-Tex boots work just fine in cooler weather, wet or dry conditions.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Sgt. Rock's idea is probably the best by far. One of the problems with Gore-tex boots is that, the more the Gore-tex is flexed, the sooner it develops leaks - then it's useless.

I hiked through Vermont one year (many years ago) during one of the wettest summers on record. My boots were Gore-tex. They got wet around day 2 from water running down my legs, and stayed wet for the rest of the trip (9 days total). IMPOSSIBLE to dry out on the trail (although, if I had been home, I could have dried them out in 24 hours by stuffing them with dry newspaper, and changing the newspaper when it got soaked).

I vote for non-Gore-tex.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Every review I've read about Gore-Tex socks has been negative. The Gore-Tex boots work just fine in cooler weather, wet or dry conditions.
    I haven't read any reviews of goretex socks. But I have used them. I ain't going off reviews but first hand knowledge.

Rocky Goretex - just a Goretex shell. If it gets wet, then it dries out quick. Won't keep your feet waterproof like a vault when walking in creeks - water can still get in over the top. But when hiking in snow with shoes they keep the snow and slush out. Wear socks under them and they do find - in fact if you can wear socks that extend over the top of them they breath better (more like boots). Don't wear them when you don't need them. They do what they are supposed to do. If you hike in them all the time you will regret it because they are likely to keep in more sweat than a boot.

Seal Skinz - Feel much more lilke a sock.They have wool or something inside them. You don't need a sock with them when you wear them. But they also are not waterproof when crossing streams -water can also still go in over the top just like with Goretex boots. Since they have wool (or something) in them, they get heavy as heck when they do get wet - sort of like walking in sponges. They also will never dry in camp (just like goretex boots) and take forever to dry in town even using a dryer (I don't use hot when drying hiking gear for obvious reasons) so in that regard they are VERY like Goretex boots. You should also not wear these unless you need them.

I had Rockys for years. I decided to try Sealskinz during my thru-hike. I encountered the issues with them getting wet and staying wet finding out the hard way deep water ain't a good thing for 'em. But they did EXACTLY what I wanted them to do when hiking in snow or heavy rain with trail runners. Since I got off, I have switched back to my Rocky socks.

And for the record I own about 3 or 4 pair of Goretex boots. One hiking - the rest work. I prefer the socks.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 02-27-2009 at 10:06.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Goretex is great for a one or two day hike but for distance I wouldn't ever use it. . . simply takes to long for them to dry out. . .

I'm in an extreme minority on this one. Unless it is very hot my feet don't sweat much. Most of the time Goretex works well for me. I hate to tippy toe around puddles. With Goretex, as long as it's not over the top, I can walk right thru. I've also never had a problem once they get wet with drying them out while walking. Again my feet must be warm enough to push the moisture out, but not too warm to sweat. I'm so glad they designed a product just for me.

Images

There are those people. I'm on the other extreme - I don't want anything to block my feet breathing. I wear ankle running socks and trail runners all year long. I walk through creeks and keep going because I know I will walk my feet dry within 0.1 miles of the crossing with this sort of system. I hike in rain the same way - I only put on Goretex socks when it is a long cold rain, or when hiking in snow/slush. I didn't put my socks on once during my trip because I figured I could keep moving fast enough to keep my feet warm and dry - but I screwed up and ended up stopping early to let my feet warm up and dry out. The next day I hiked out in the same crap with my Goretex socks on and was a happy hiker again.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++