WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

BobS has it right. The relo completed early last fall 2007 (going southbound) is from the junction on the left of a blue trail going to the Waywayanda Park HQ and for approximately 1/2 mile beyond where the AT makes a left turn on a dirt road. It has been moved off an old eroded woods road to a parallel route in the woods to the left going southbound. As a result when going northbound, where the shelter was once to the right of the AT on a 100 yard spur path uphill it is now when going northbound about 50 yards to the left on a spur which is mostly level. The shelter has not been moved, the AT and its spur has!
    Aaron

So the AT is no longer the dirt road just N of the shelter... How does the relo deal with that swamp? Seems it would have to pass south of it, and loop back up to the shelter.

Default Wawayanda St. Park parking / HQ access

I am heading north for a backpacking trip later this week. I need a place to stay on Thursday night in/around northern NJ. I remember that the Wawayanda shelter is really close to the ranger station; but it has been about 3 years since I was there. Thanks to all who posted about the trail rerouting.
    My question is whether the road into the ranger station is gated off at night during weekdays (especially now when the campgrounds probably aren't open yet). I would just like to drive in sometime in the evening, walk the short distance into the shelter and stay for the night, then walk out in the morning. I figure it won't be very crowded at this time of year. If you know anything about the parking / gate situation there, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    daveo

Images

I grew up near Wawayanda, and I believe the main park gate closes to vehicles after dark and the ranger station gate is closed after working hours. Sorry I can't be of more help, but here's a picture of the shelter instead!

http://people.alfred.edu/~rwt2/3.JPG

I have some more pictures from Wawayanda if you are interested.
    "Measure Four Times, Cut Twice"

Images

Be warned, the rangers won't let you park overnight, or at least they wouldn't let me and the wife a couple of years ago, around this time of year. We drove around and found a different road that that dead-ended at the park land and left our car there. A day and a half later when we got back to the car the rangers were there checking out the car and getting ready to leave a summons on our windshield. I got a 30 minute lecture about why I shouldn't have parked there and they never did write the summons. As it turns out one of them was the same ranger that told us we couldn't leave the car in the parking lot, oh well.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Stayed at the Wawayanda Hilton overnight into 10/13/2008.

Northbounders do hang a right onto the Shelter Trail.

The ranger station has a 2-way butterfly-valve spigot right outside of the visitor center. The bathroom next to it generally opens at 8am. It was closed by 6:30pm.

Privy is a poop box about 100 feet from the Picnic Table. I got to wave hello to my still-eating friends while doing #2. I guess when there's more leaves on the tree it's less visible.

2 bear boxes still in good condition near the picnic table. Some good tenting sites down behind the shelter.

Cut my leg up on that rock right out front goin out to pee at night.

In mid-october, there were plenty of Cicadas, distant ATVs and off-season shotgun blasts to lull me to sleep.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    ..... I was there on Tuesday night 6/8 and the mosquitos were out in full force. Tented it for a good night rest.
    Cin
    I was there 8 days after you and had the exact same experience. Along with the 'squitos, the humidity was overpowering - my bandana had dried in the sun but after leaving it hanging in the shelter rafters overnight, it was wet the next morning. Laying on top of my sleeping bag, I never stopped sweating all night.

The following day produced a drenching thunderstorm after which I decided to come back to hike at a nicer time of year.

I liked the shelter though and I didn't find the walk to the water inconvenient.

Images

Hammocked behind this shelter over the weekend. Walk to the water was no problem. I parked on Warwick Turnpike at the AT crossing and my car's rear window got smashed by a drive-by rock throw. $800 - sucks.

BEWARE - DON'T PARK HERE OVERNIGHT!!!

Happy hiking!!

TTF

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Northbounders do NOT hang a right onto the Shelter Trail, despite what I just said.

Crap, I need to Donate so I can edit my post!

Northbounders turn Left.
    Soutbounders turn Right

I NoBo 95% of the time... The one time I came by this I was going SoBo.

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Camped here in early May while doing a weekend section from State Line Trail (Greenwood Lake) to NJ94 in Vernon. Please note that this is the only legal camping spot on the trail between Wildcat Shelter (first shelter in NY NOBO) and Pochuck Mountain Shelter, which are 23.6 miles apart; people doing long hikes in the area should plan accordingly. Shelter was nice, although small; probably sleeps about 5 max. Has a good picnic table out front and a shelf around the outside for parking stuff. The walk to the park office for water is a bit long, but flat, so not too much of a problem. Be careful with the spigot outside the bathrooms; it goes from trickle to torrent in a short distance. The privy is uncovered and within a fairly short distance of the shelter. I was fortunate and was able to sneak in #2 early in the morning before most of the Boy Scouts who were sharing the place with us woke up. If you go to the office for water, try to go there if the bathrooms are open. Speaking of Boy Scouts, the available tent spaces around the shelter fill up pretty quick if there are a lot of people. We got pretty much the last reasonable one close to the shelter, and had to place the tent carefully to avoid both rocks and being too close to a bush to get out. If the area around the shelter is full, you might want to check alongside the access path closer to the main trail; it seemed like there were some more spots back there. There are two bear boxes. The one was secured with a "clip" much like those people use to attach key chains to their belts; that seemed OK. The other one was closed only with a hairpin-like thing, which frankly, a bear probably could dislodge if it whacked at it with its paw for a while. Since the Boy Scouts had already taken up most of the first box, I had to stick some stuff in the second; fortunately, we didn't have any incidents during the night. For being fairly close to the road and other civilized areas, it was a pretty quiet night. The relocation of the trail in the area of the shelter is quite a nice path through the hemlocks, and probably an improvement over the old road.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Images

[quote=Totem;710196]

...Cut my leg up on that rock right out front goin out to pee at night. .../quote]

I hate that rock.

Panzer

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

Default New privy

You now have an enclosed and covered privy to do your business in. So no more grunting and looking out and exposing yourself. I don't know when this new outhouse was installed but it is located about 50 yards down the old spur trail going north from the shelter. This used to connect to the AT.
    Aaron

Thru-hiker in planning, 2013 GalHikingTheGap's Avatar

Wondering what the 'skeeters are going to be like near Wawayanda Shelter, tossing up whether it's worth bringing the tent for. Opinions?

L

Images

Keep in mind that between there and the next shelter is a detour due to the bridge over one of the streams being out. I saw that on the NYNJ trail conference website.

I don't know who it is up there I just got back from 2 days down by the Water Gap and the black gnats or black flies are out so bring deet.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

In some ways it seems unconsionable to take up this much space, but I've decided to do the unconsionable, especially after looking at those wonderful pictures of Waywayanda Shelter. I feel as though I am sitting right there, chatting with the students and later with the young couple.

One of the students BTW came over and sat beside me, hanging his long legs from the shelter floor as I did. He asked if it were really true that there are people all up and down the AT who come out and paint those white blazes. He was astonished to have me confirm what his leader had apparently told them.

Anyway, I was hiking sporatically on the AT with the intention of helping people become aware of myasthenia gravis, a disease which had taken a childhood friend that winter. Griz is my big brown Standard Poodle. She was along because no one would take care of her for me. The fact that it was 2003 should tell you why we were constantly seeking higher ground.

MG's 2003
    Appalachian Trail Journal

Tuesday, May 20, 2003
    Destination: Wawayanda Shelter
    Starting Location:
    Today's Miles: 5.50
    Trip Miles: 12.80

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughters would give anything for me to be the way I am on the trail when I am at home. There, I save everything - and eventually do need much of it. Here, I get rid of, get rid of, often to my detriment.
    This morning I was down to bare bones with the condemned excess either on its way to Boulder or left for my host and their guests. Still, my pack was clearly a 900-pound stone on my back. During this extended unfortunate layover, both my pack and I had gained weight.
    We arrived at the Enterprize office about 8:15 am. Chris who works there, kindly took me to the Highway 94 trailhead, helped me get my pack "just right," and saw me off at 9:00.
    It was sunny and warm. Griz and I enjoyed disappearing into the deep, dark forest of boulders that form the floor of the base of Wawayanda Mountain. Chris explained that Wah-wah-yahn-dah Mountain is pronounced "Way-way-yonder." (Hmmm.)
    We climbed and climbed the boulder-strewn path upwards for about three hours. It was as I like it - cool, verdant, challenging.
    Then we were at the top. We signed the register which is within an old rural mailbox, hanging from a tree.
    'Walk On' from Alabama appeared suddenly - quietly. We chatted about the southern hospitality of the northerners whom we have encountered. He said that he'd heard that The Flying Scotsman is off trail with giardia. So goes the trail grapevine.
    We continue. It became hot. The trail was rocky. We found a boulder that was most pleasing - flat, with a tree next to it on which I could prop my swelling feet above my thumping heart.
    After a while we moved on, but the hot was turning to warm, so it was better hiking.
    Lunchbox appeared about 3:30. He rushed on, saying that he had 10 more miles to go today.
    We finally found Wawayanda Shelter but not before my feet had just about reduced me to tears. Such pain. I felt like I could not take another step when we finally were at its front.
    There was a man there. He was about to leave. He had been there, checking out the shelter. It was Desperado!
    We had a fine chat, during which I told him again and again how great his shelters are, thanks to his efforts.
    Then he paled as he looked down the trail. In dismay he said "Look at that!"
    I did. There must have been 20 inner city boys walking up the trail towards "my shelter." The numbers reduced to 10 or so when I saw the two leaders. Someone was there to keep things in hand - hopefully.
    Griz growled and barked, but she soon got over it.
    All evening they were all over the place. My tent seemed to be dead center.
    When they went for water though, they took my empty bottles and filled them. There is no greater gift than water.

Sawnie Robertson

Wednesday, May 21, 2003
    Destination: Wawayander Shelter
    Starting Location:
    Today's Miles: 0.00
    Trip Miles: 12.80

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been awake since 6:30. It rained consistently all night. How I missed some of the things that were on their way to Boulder! My puffball jacket, my warmer sleeping bag, the Ridgerest that didn't come.
    My summer 40 degree bag has lost its zipper. I found that out as I lay on the ground only one layer of silnylon between me and it. Griz was in the same predicament and was shivering. I dozed off.
    When I woke up, Griz was not shivering. She had moved on to my sleeping bag, leaving me some to do with as best as I could.
    We worked it out. Sometimes I shivered, but most of the time neither of us did. Sleep was pretty hard to get. Then one of the freshmen all around me must have decided to get up and pee. Everyone followed, flashlights shining every which way, sometimes directly at our tent. At first I thought it was lightning.
    At 6:30 I was awake and thinking I'd like to get going, but the rain was pounding down. Maybe it would clear up in an hour or so. At any rate one of the leaders had told me that they'd be leaving at 9:00. I decided to wait until they were gone to pack up.
    Once up, they were all over the place, but they didn't get off until 10:30. It was still raining. The tent was soaked. We decided to stay over until this afternoon, but the weather has never cleared.
    A young couple from Minnesota named Christine and Eric came through. I told her where the privy and the bear box were and how Desperado had left food in there for thru-hikers.
    Apparently, she thought that the silnylon gray bag on the box was a part of the offering. She and Eric took all of my food for the next day but did leave Griz's dog food. Such needy people. Or should I think greedy?
    I guess we won't be hiking to nearly Bellvale tomorrow. There are some food places up a nearby highway that may be open.

Sawnie Robertson

Thursday, May 22, 2003
    Destination: Warwick, NY
    Starting Location:
    Today's Miles: 0.30
    Trip Miles: 13.10

Did you know that MG affects around 10,000 people? It is, therefore, a rare but not exceptional disease. What kind of luck would cause a person to be one of the 10,000? Sometimes I almost forget to say "Thank you" for being able to wake up with choices about how I will spend my day.
    This morning, however, the choices seemed few. We would have to leave the trail AGAIN.
    The weather has turned completely. All night Claire and I shivered with our summer gear. I'm talking shake-shake-shake, the body's method for trying to stay warm. The temperature dropped to 35 degrees. I cannot in good conscience keep her out in this without more protection.
    It is cold, overcast, and drizzling. We were told that this is forecast for the next four days too. So, we hiked in to Wawayanda State Park headquarters.
    They generously provided us with a phone. (The public one outside does not work.) After so many calls, we finally were able to make arrangements to go in to Warwick. Josie's Taxi picked us up. Critter Cab took Griz to Affordable Kennel.
    I also was concerned about the trail after the next four miles, since Spanky and others had warned about the footing when it is wet.
    Believe me, it is wet.
    I thought about the broken legs that Jean Deeds and Jan Kerns got from slippery wet rocks. I thought about having no food. I thought about the writing on the wall, for gosh sakes.
    Sawnie Robertson
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Thru-hiker in planning, 2013 GalHikingTheGap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Keep in mind that between there and the next shelter is a detour due to the bridge over one of the streams being out. I saw that on the NYNJ trail conference website.

I don't know who it is up there I just got back from 2 days down by the Water Gap and the black gnats or black flies are out so bring deet.
    I'm right there off Millbrook Road just south of the Delaware Water Gap NRA, and my kids from Harlem today were being driven mad by those flies as soon as the sun came out. My mate's bringing the mosquito net and I've pretreated my clothes with some pyrmethrin and pyrethrin. We'll see if that does it.

Luckily, we're heading north so the reroute won't be affecting us. Thanks dearly for the heads up! I recall that bridge being nearly out when I hiked on it last fall, it was a matter of time

L

Images

Default NJ section

I'm going to be hiking the NJ section and then north to Bear Mtn. next month (Aug.) any info would help...

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emv081649 View Post
    I'm going to be hiking the NJ section and then north to Bear Mtn. next month (Aug.) any info would help...
    There's a shelter called wawayanda lean-to in the middle of the woods. it's got 3 sides, a roof and a floor.

Great weather this sunday, near 50° F. Parked at the Wawayanda maintenance building area (same area for h2o). Less than 1/2 mile into my hike, i stopped at the shelter to fuel up on some lunch. Shelter was nice & clean. Bear box looked to be in good shape and the privy looked fine. Here's a few pics to prove it...

Stayed their last year . Little Prince and little Princess stayed in the shelter. I tarp out back with Disco,
    Caboose, and a hanger cant remember his name. The caretaker came by while we were their.

Thom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++