WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Oops, wrong three forks road
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    It was also recommended to take 400 to 136 and cut over to 183 that way. Any advice/comments?
    This is the most efficient way to go. You will have no traffic lights if you take the 136 to 183 route. I drive it all the time while shuttling to Springer.
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Yes, the road is open. They had it open last year below 3 forks where it had washed out about 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Yes, the road is open. They had it open last year below 3 forks where it had washed out about 5 years ago.
    Good to know; thanks.

Images

Thanks everyone for all the help! I'm very familiar with the logistics of getting to Springer....just not from the airport. Everyones suggestions were very helpful.

Hey Ox, I have lived in Knoxville 38 years until early last year AND we share the same first name. I will tell "Many Sleeps?" hello if I see him/her.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    This is the most efficient way to go. You will have no traffic lights if you take the 136 to 183 route. I drive it all the time while shuttling to Springer.
    Thanks, this is what I think I may do because I know of a few good places for lunch on the way and I'm very familiar with this route. I have made Buckhead to Cumming in just over 30 minutes many times (not at 9am Monday morning though!). It's good to have a couple of options though

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    Thanks, this is what I think I may do because I know of a few good places for lunch on the way and I'm very familiar with this route. I have made Buckhead to Cumming in just over 30 minutes many times (not at 9am Monday morning though!). It's good to have a couple of options though
    I know you said you are familiar, but just a reminder. When you are driving on Roy Road, there are 2 VERY SHARP curves(to the left). Roy Road on a GPS changes names 2 times, but it's still Roy Road.

The landmark for the right turn on Roy Road, along with the sign, is a power station on the left. RR comes up quick on the right. Stanleys grocery is on the corner, this is the last opportunity for food until you get to Neel Gap or the Hiker Hostel.

efficient = less traffic lights? what about traffic?

Anyway according to Mapquest, it's 1hr 42 minutes, 97 miles to Cartecay (Roy Rd) via E Ellijay and 1 hr 55 minutes, 95 miles to Cartecay via Dawsonville.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    efficient = less traffic lights? what about traffic?

Anyway according to Mapquest, it's 1hr 42 minutes, 97 miles to Cartecay (Roy Rd) via E Ellijay and 1 hr 55 minutes, 95 miles to Cartecay via Dawsonville.
    For me, there is less traffic on 136 than 53, lights or not. You avoid Dawsonville completely. Yeah, it a couple more miles, but the view is better!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    I know you said you are familiar, but just a reminder. When you are driving on Roy Road, there are 2 VERY SHARP curves(to the left). Roy Road on a GPS changes names 2 times, but it's still Roy Road.

The landmark for the right turn on Roy Road, along with the sign, is a power station on the left. RR comes up quick on the right. Stanleys grocery is on the corner, this is the last opportunity for food until you get to Neel Gap or the Hiker Hostel.
    Thanks, I have done this route a handfull of times in the past & now that I'm still unemployeed I have been up there another handfull of times. I still sometimes have to pull the trottle back though or I'll zip by at light speed...

Images

OK what is the best route from Marietta?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

From Marietta:
    if you are going to Springer, then take 575 to 53 to Big Creek route.
    if you are going to Visitor Center, then take 575 to 136 (Jasper) to 53

in my earlier post, when I said more efficient, I was referring to the fact that it has less turns, meaning less chances for getting lost or back tracking. For those that posted, and are familiar with the routes, perhaps one way is your preference over another. For someone not familiar with an area, the best way to send them is the one that is least number of turns and least complicated to understand.

Example... saying that Roy road has a convient store on the corner is typical 'southern' directions. There are a few stores on 53. And with the route through Dawsonville, the driver takes a series of right turns, left turns, and veer lefts. And the route up Ga400 means contending with the toll booths.

And.. as Sly pointed out, there is approximately 2 miles difference in driving distance. No need to start the thru hike with a speed drive session TO the trail. Kick back, enjoy the views and visit with your friend on the drive up.

And for the A**hole the PMed me telling me shut up since I lived in TN........ I WAS the maintainer for that first mile and the parking lot for 3.5 years and a 7 year GATC maintainer. Have lived in both Marietta and Alpharetta. Have been there both ways.. could drive it in my sleep. Actually.. could say that about all of the trail crossings in GA and half the ones in NC and TN. I REALLY hate hypocrates.

Images

Thanks Ox, my plans have changed slightly because my friend is arriving from NY so his flight was cancelled today (this morning). He is flying in tomorrow and I'm picking him up at North Springs Marta because I have an interview in that area just before he arrives. I'm now definately taking 400 because of this but I appreciate your info. As for whoever PMed you tell them you are in a MUCH better place (TN ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++