WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOBOs leaving mid-April

I'll be starting my thru hike around April 15-20 and I'm trying to get an idea of how many fellow NOBOs I should expect to meet at the shelters for the first few weeks.
    I know it is a bit late for thru hikers but I also know that some plan on leaving as late as May.
    Feel free to post here if you plan on leaving around the same time as me.
    Thanks, B Rock

Images

My friend Colin and myself should be leaving april 15th/16th if all goes to plan. We're flying in from the UK on the 14th and i am actually dripping with excitement! Off on a 280 mile practice hike in 2 weeks to double check that all our gear is lovely and to get to grips with my new osprey exos. Now thats a lovely thing! Got a bit of a weak ankle so am routing down the superlight road to try and ease the stress on the poor thing, only time will tell!
    See you on the trail!
    Tom (and Colin)

I'm starting a little earlier, April 9th but I'm planning to start out slow so you'll probably catch me. Maybe we can discuss Ark trails, I do a lot of hiking and canoeing there over the years. Have a great hike!!
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images

I'm starting around april 12th. i did this in '05, and the trail wasn't very crowded. I'll say hi if i see you. have a good hike.

Images

I'm gettin on the trail around a week before you... I'll see you when I see you B Rock

Although April 15th is after the main push weekends (Mar 1, Mar 15, April 1), there are likely to still be a significant number of hikers heading out. I wouldnt be suprised if you see 10-12 hikers at the shelters each night.

Have a great hike.

me and my group (4total) are leaving Apr. 10th. Maybe we'll run into each other at some point.

GA-ME-04
    Images

I started april 24th and found that although the big crowds were ahead of me, the trail was still crowded.

Shelters will still be crowded mid April in GA. Start mid week for less crowds but even that will not guarantee shelter space. Saw 15 thru hikers today on the trail which means they started Wed. All stayed at Gooch Mtn shelter last night. The word about leaving mid week is out.

I will be starting at AFSP on April 15th. Hope to be behind most of the 'bigger' crowds, but there are always sectioners and weekenders out there too.

I start the approach trail on the 19th.

I'll be starting the approach late april... Probably on the 29th.. I believe thats the last Monday of the month. See ya on the trail!

I will bw hitting the trail April 16th, a Thursday.....so maybe see you out there. I was hoping by choosing such a late date that I would miss a lot of crowds but still have people in the shelters and on the trail with me.

I am SOOOO excited!! Can't wait!!

I am also planning on starting around April 12-15. Hopefully we can slap a high five.

I'll be backtracking to Springer Mt. on April 30th.
    For me, one more month at work. 35 days to start the trail.
    See you there!

I'll be leaving on April 24th, but I'm pretty quick, so I'll probably see ya eventually.

++ New Posts ++