WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default INDIANA WBers "APRIL'S GET TOGETHER

I thinking about getting something going for Yellowwood State Forest or perhaps Morgan/Monroe for April.
    I'm open for suggestions and appreciate any that I receive, since I don't know all of the trails yet here in IN.
    I've also just recently learned of a few more trails in Charles Deam Wilderness, which might be an option to consider instead of the above mentioned areas.
    Any weekend as of now is good for me.

Images

Low Gap trail in Morgan-Monroe SF would be good. I would suggest an overnight in the back country area. Or Maybe start at Yellowwood SF and hike the Tecumseh trail up to the backcountry area for an overnight and hike out in M-MSF. I could find a shuttle. I couldn't do it the first weekend in April, but don't let me be the deciding factor.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Low Gap trail in Morgan-Monroe SF would be good. I would suggest an overnight in the back country area. Or Maybe start at Yellowwood SF and hike the Tecumseh trail up to the backcountry area for an overnight and hike out in M-MSF. I could find a shuttle. I couldn't do it the first weekend in April, but don't let me be the deciding factor.
    I was thinking more on the line of the second or third weekend, and an overnight does sound good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    I was thinking more on the line of the second or third weekend, and an overnight does sound good to me.
    Just checked my calendar. The second weekend is Easter weekend so let's plan on the third weekend with the last weekend for a 'Rain Date'.
    WHAT DO YA'LL THINK ABOUT THIS??

Avoid the 545 trail in Deam unless you know the area well. I hiked it this weekend and got off-trail somehow. With a GPS it was an "easy" half-mile bushwhack over to Grubb.

The 545 has me ticked off now. I'm still gonna try it again. I think this is twice now that I haven't finished it.

Low Gap at Morgan-Monroe would be good.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

April 18th & 19th.

Tecumseh Trail: We will start at the North End of Yellowwood Lake in Yellowwood State Forest.

We'll hike over to Morgan/Monroe State Forest Headquarters.

This is approximately 30 miles. Halfway over is a shelter with some campsites close by where we will camp.

Let's plan on meeting at 9:00 am. The entrance to Yellowwood State Forest is just a little West of Nashville, IN on State Route 46.

If you would like to go please respond below or PM me.

Thanks
    Gorp-Gobbler

Images

I live in the area and will arrange shuttles, or we can spot a car at M-MSF to get back to Yellowwood. Just didn't want this to be a concern for anyone. Although it is a 30 mile hike on the trail, it is much further by car. Gotta love that!

Might be able to find some mushrooms this time of year to cook up for dinner Saturday night ! ! Added incentive.

I wish I could go with you guys!! Have fun.
    You are never too old.

Images

It's just a short drive over . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    I wish I could go with you guys!! Have fun.
    I wish you could too Chenango. Perhaps you wouldn't give me as hard as time as someone else we know.

Recommend you check out the Google group for the Bloomington Hikers:

http://groups.google.com/group/bloom...ikers?lnk=iggc

They do hikes every Sat and hike in that area all the time.

I would love to attempt the Knobstone Trail over a 3 day weekend by doing the 40 miles northbound, followed by that 9 mile loop, and then the same 40 miles south. Only problem is there's not enough water on the trail.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Recommend you check out the Google group for the Bloomington Hikers:

http://groups.google.com/group/bloom...ikers?lnk=iggc

They do hikes every Sat and hike in that area all the time.

I would love to attempt the Knobstone Trail over a 3 day weekend by doing the 40 miles northbound, followed by that 9 mile loop, and then the same 40 miles south. Only problem is there's not enough water on the trail.
    Why would you want to do so many miles in 3 days? Wouldn't you want to enjoy some of the time in the woods, instead of piling up those miles? C'mon, just enjoy the walk!

Any interest from females on this trip? It's a beautiful area especially in the springtime. I'm a little concerned about my ability to maintain pace with you young guys while carrying a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by onesocktwin View Post
    Any interest from females on this trip? It's a beautiful area especially in the springtime. I'm a little concerned about my ability to maintain pace with you young guys while carrying a pack.
    Don't worry about that onesocktwin. Us "young guys" have gotten fat during the winter, so we'll probably be pretty slow ourselves.

As far as interest from other females, I just posted this last night, so far you are the first, and you are more then welcome to join us.

It's just a short drive over . . .
    Yeak, like 14 hours from NY. I wish it was closer.
    You are never too old.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by onesocktwin View Post
    Thank you so much for the "young guys" comment. Just hit 50 last week and I needed that.

Seriously, though, I like to enjoy my time in the woods, I won't be setting any speed records. And I KNOW G-G isn't.

April 18th & 19th.

Tecumseh Trail: We will start at the North End of Yellowwood Lake in Yellowwood State Forest.

We'll hike over to Morgan/Monroe State Forest Headquarters.

This is approximately 30 miles. Halfway over is a shelter with some campsites close by where we will camp.

Let's plan on meeting at 9:00 am. The entrance to Yellowwood State Forest is just a little West of Nashville, IN on State Route 46.

If you would like to go please respond below or PM me.

Having done the Spurgeon Hollow Loop of the KT yesterday (03/14/2009), I'm pumped up for this trip.

As bigmac said, were not out to set any time records, we just want to enjoy the trail, the out-of-doors and the fellowship with one another.

So if you are serious about going please respond below.

Thanks
    Gorp-Gobbler
    We hope for a good turn out.

We hope for a good turn out.
    Oops! I wanted to multi-quote this message. Oh well!

Anyone else living in or around Indiana interested in going on this hike?

Let me know, okay?

Images

Oops! I wanted to multi-quote this message. Oh well!

Anyone else living in or around Indiana interested in going on this hike?

Let me know, okay?
    I'm actively recruting a few others. My AT buddy, The Piddler, is coming along, and might be a couple guys from work interested as well.

Images

I would like to connect with some of you Hoosier WBs, however, I am already doing trips on April 3/4/5 in the Deam by myself and then 25/26 with some Adults from my Boy Scout Troop (need to train them) so they can keep the boys safe.

We do the Knob Stone sometimes, I don't believe I would ever want to do it in three days. Someone down there forgot about switch backs. When we do this trail, we stash water at trail heads or shuttle two cars between trails heads to store water. Also, you might just find water in the spring.

Getting off topic for a bit, has any of you thru-hiked the AT? If so, would you be interested in doing a talk with a bunch of Scouts on the North Side of Indy (I have a good group of backpackers)?

Ron Penczek
    (Hemmingway)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++