WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What're YOU doing for Spring break?

...if you're a student or in the school system and get that precious week off? If not, what WOULD you do with a week?

I wanted to head up to the incomparable Canyonlands National Park in Utah, but also need to save money for my Summer hiking budget. So I decided to stay somewhat local and do a short hike I've been lusting after for awhile- Starting at the Colorado River in Grand Canyon (about 2,000') and hiking @ 80 miles to the summit of Mt. Humphreys, AZ's high point at 12,633'. About half the miles on the AZT and half cross country on the Coconino Plateau. Should be lotsa fun, cool temps, fair amount of seasonal water to be found, checking out some things along the way. Woop. Anyone else have fun plans?

My plan is to have some friends that are still in school road trip me out to Georgia to start my NOBO. I'm already there in my mind. These last few weeks at home almost seem like I'm on pause. I just sit here second guessing everything I want to take with me. The weather here in N. IL has been terrible this winter, so I didn't get to train as much as I wanted to. I've been doing a lot of weight training and cardio, but I haven't been able to do much hiking. The thing that keeps me from getting out the most is the police. There are no trails around me, so I have to road hike. I've been stopped as a vagrant several times. My favorite was about a month and a half ago when they sent the whole force out to get me because 3 people called me in as a suicide attempt. I sat down on a guard rail over the local river to take a break, the rest is history. On the plus side, I now know just about the whole police force in my town. They are rooting me on now. They still have to respond to the calls about me, but now they roll up, see it's me and just smile and wave. I hope people around the trail are not so quick to report anyone with a pack as a vagrant. These yuppies around me are really starting to get on my nerves. OK, I got off on a rant there. I'm sorry for wasting your time if you read through this.

Images

Hiking the Great Smoky Mountian National Park. Continue to section hike until I can take a few months and thru.

DoughNut

I'm flying into Portland the last week in March then from there heading down the coasts of Oregon and Northern California spending a couple days in Redwoods National Park. From there, we head over to Yosemite and Kings Canyon National Parks before hitting Vegas for one night. Zion for a few days followed by a stop in SLC to visit a friend then back up to Portland to catch the return flight back to PA.

Thats the plan!
    Not all those who wander are lost.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

First thing on the agenda is going to see Watchmen. After that I'm going on a short 2 day hike on the AT in PA with my dad, and then I'm basically just hanging out with friends and family all week.

Images

My hiking partner and I are hiking all of Georgia.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Default I'm hiking too!

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
    Hiking the Great Smoky Mountian National Park. Continue to section hike until I can take a few months and thru.

DoughNut
    I'll be picking up a Tennessee section I missed back in 05. Hope your hike is great!

Images

Default Tried that one..

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    My hiking partner and I are hiking all of Georgia.
    In 2004 I thought an old out of shape hiker like me could do that 76 miles over spring break.... After three straight 10 mile days, I only got to Testanatee Gap on day 4. It was St Paddys day and I hitched a ride into Helen. Had a great time there, then I went over and visited in Hiawassee, then stayed at the Blueberry Patch seeing hikers until it was time to fly home. Good trip, even if I ended up at about 40 miles. The next year I took it slower and made it all the way past Erwin in six weeks.

Hiking the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. My "spring break" starts when tax season ends, so we hope to head south shortly after I punch out on April 15.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Hiking the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. My "spring break" starts when tax season ends, so we hope to head south shortly after I punch out on April 15.
    The Pinhoti was my first backpacking trip ever last year. Was a great experience for an old fellow, doing a SOLO trip out there. I saw 2-3 other backpackers on the whole Alabama section, so expect to enjoy being alone in the woods. Have a great trip !
    MoBill

Hike not for miles - Hike to see a world others walk by without seeing.

Pinhoti Journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7238

Images

My spring break is the first full week of April. I'll be hiking in Florida, from the gulf coast to the Atlantic Ocean. Probably several times since it will be up and down Duval St. in KEY WEST FL.!!!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

MoBill--thanks! I hiked about 60 miles of it about 10 years ago and haven't been back since, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Finishing my thesis.

My spring break (i.e. the first day of Spring) should see me somewhere around Bly Gap heading into North Carolina.

I sure hope it's more hospitable than Central New Hampshire.

Images

Hike a small mountain somewhere in Western Mass when I drop someone off, while driving home (to eastern mass). If I'm lucky and weather's good, perhaps Monadnock or something later on. As I have no money, I can't really spend any!
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

planning to hike the NY ap trail. . . .unfortunately my spring break starts . . .FRIDAY!!!!!!

I hiked the canyonlands 2 years ago with BOSS it was pretty cool.

Images

The correct answer is (A) Ron Haven's Hiker Bash and First Annual Franklin Trail Days.
    See you there if you can make it. As Matty says, your jealousy is ours.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

I am both a student and in the school system and it was very fortuitous to get the week+ off on the same week for both.

Was planning on hiking the Northville Placid Trail but it seems it's too early to hike this trail. Looking at the Benton Mackaye Trail.

Any other suggestions for a 7-9 day hike on the east coast that is not the AT?
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    My spring break (i.e. the first day of Spring) should see me somewhere around Bly Gap heading into North Carolina.

I sure hope it's more hospitable than Central New Hampshire.
    Are you thru-hiking this year or just going out on a section hike?

if you want a LONG FLAT TRAIL check out the batona trail in the pine barrens. 50 miles long so you can hike out and back in 7-9 days with no problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++