WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Springer to Neels Gap

I am planning a section hike from Springer to Neesl gap coming up in a couple weeks. Would it be better to walk north or south? I know Blood Mountain will be the highest point. Should we tackle that first thing, or save it for last?

Thanks,
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

Images

I have done both directions more than once and for me hiking south was easier (starting at Neels). Blood Mt will be harder this dirrection but the rest of the way is easier (for me at least). Either way it is some of the most beautiful hiking on the AT! Have a GREAT time!!

Journal Entries
    Images

That whole stretch is a breeze. Blood is much easier IMO coming from the south, but isn't bad either way. I'd do it from Springer to Neel. Plan for 3 to 4 days. Springer to Horse Gap, Horse Gap to Woody Gap, Woody Gap to Neel Gap; or some variant thereof.

3-4 days if you are a camper that likes to hike. 2 days if you are a hiker that likes to camp. It's only 30 miles.

It wont be a problem either way. Not much difference as far as difficulty. Blood from Neels Gap is a difficult climb, especially first out with the loaded pack. But, it isnt any worse than the climb out of Woody Gap to Granny Top.

The bigger issue will be logistics getting to/from the trail. Hiking south may also require hiking the approach trail in order to get a shuttle. If you are staging vehicles at both ends, then it is basically a wash as to which way to hike.

have fun

Images

We are a couple of guys that like to hike and camp. Actually we are probalby not in the best hiking shape. We only get out about once a year, if we are lucky. We will have about 3-4 hours to hike on the 19th. Then all day on the 20, 21, 22. So we will not be in a hurry either way. If it turns out to be windy and cold, we will walk longer days. If the weather is nice, we will probalby spend a little more time in camp. My brother-in-law has already done that section, but it was several years ago. It will be all new stuff for me!
    Stumpy

Images

We will have two cars (he is coming up from Florida, and I am heading over from Nashville). We will leave one at Neels and one at Springer. Since it seems like most people have said it is a wash either direction. We will probably meet at neels gap and drive together over to springer.
    Stumpy

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Either way, but you will be in the thick of thru hikers, so be prepared to tent, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

We figured as much. Kinda crowded, but this is the time we could go. We usually try to do a fall hike, but we didn't get that done this year.
    Stumpy

I was wanting to do the same section in the next few weeks, where exactly would I want to leave my vehicles?

There is a parking area 1/4 mile north of Neels Gap.

There is a parking area on USFS 42 0.9 mile north of Springer OR leave your car at Amicalola State Park and hike the 8 mile approach trail.

The parking at ASP is the safest of all options.

Two additional things to consider...

a) It seems that the logical place to meet would be near Elijay. This requires least amount of backtracking with vehicles. This would imply starting the hike from Neels Gap

b) If you are only going to have 3-4 hrs of hiking that first day, it would probably be better to start hike from Springer end. There is the possibility of camping on Blood, but there isnt any water there, so you would need to hike down the back side either to the tent platforms @ Slaughter Gap Trail or at the Woods Hole Shelter. Starting from Springer gives you options of Stover Creek Shelter, Three Forks, and Long Creek Falls for camping.

Images

Thanks Ox. We will probably start at springer so we will have more options for camping that first night. How long is the drive from Neels back up to USFS and the parking area near Springer?
    Stumpy

With all the thru hikers starting, you can haul out and keep all the brand new expesive gear that's ditched along the way to lower pack weight!

I'd go Northbound. Blood Mt. is indeed lots easier that way, plus you finish up at Neel Gap (a good place to leave a car or get picked up), plus they have all sorts of food treats available, lodging, even a shower if you want.

For info on driving, distances, where to leave cars, etc., I 'd call Winton Porter at Neel Gap, and he'll happily help you out with anything you need.

Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap: (706) 745-6095

Images

Neel's back to Springer Parking area ? That's about 35 > 40 miles, with maybe 10 miles on dirt forest service roads. About the same back to ASP, but that would be all on paved roads.
    ASP to Neel's would be about a 38 mile hike... pushing your limits, if the weather turns to #@!#&*!! Springer to Neels is about 29 miles, and there again, not a fun trip if the weather turns bad on you. Unless you like walking in the rain or snow ! <G>
    Have a fun hike !
    MoBill

Hike not for miles - Hike to see a world others walk by without seeing.

Pinhoti Journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7238

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MoBill122 View Post
    Neel's back to Springer Parking area ? That's about 35 > 40 miles, with maybe 10 miles on dirt forest service roads. About the same back to ASP, but that would be all on paved roads.
    ASP to Neel's would be about a 38 mile hike... pushing your limits, if the weather turns to #@!#&*!! Springer to Neels is about 29 miles, and there again, not a fun trip if the weather turns bad on you. Unless you like walking in the rain or snow ! <G>
    Have a fun hike !
    I'm confused by the mileage in your first sentence. The Springer parking area is 0.9 mi North of Springer, so it is actually closer to Neels Gap than Springer is. Springer to Neels is 30.5 mi. So if you hiked to Springer and back to the parking, the distance is 31.4 mi, not 35-40.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I'm confused by the mileage in your first sentence. The Springer parking area is 0.9 mi North of Springer, so it is actually closer to Neels Gap than Springer is. Springer to Neels is 30.5 mi. So if you hiked to Springer and back to the parking, the distance is 31.4 mi, not 35-40.
    I don't know if his numbers are correct or not, but he is talking about the driving mileage, not the hiking mileage.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I don't know if his numbers are correct or not, but he is talking about the driving mileage, not the hiking mileage.
    Makes sense now
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I would have to question the 30-40 mile driving distance between the two. It might be correct, as the crow flies, but you most likely wont be driving that way.

Routes from Neels Gap back to Springer will vary depending on how adventurous you want to be. I would plan on taking about an hour and a half to make the drive, minimum.

If it were me... and this is just a personal preference... I would drive north from Neels Gap to Blairsville, then west to Blue Ridge, then south to Elijay, east to Cartecay and into Springer via Big Creek Rd. It is a little longer mileage wise, but you will good, straight roads for all except the last 6.5 miles. This means you will be able to drive 55-60 most of the way. Other routes will restrict you to speeds of 45 in some areas, and if you take gravel Roads (like FS 42 from Suches) could even be down to 15-20 in some areas.

The second option, and probably the one most people would suggest is to go south to Dahlonega then east past ASP, then northwest to Cartecay and catch either Big Creek or Roy Rd route to summit.

Remember, sometimes the shortest distance between two points is NOT a straight line.

As for parking at Neels Gap, the trailhead parking is at Byron Reece Parking area. The trail junction to the parking lot is approx .5 miles south of Neels Gap on the AT. The Freeman Trail and Byron Reece Trail intersect the AT at the same location. You can do a road walk down to the parking lot from Neels. you will be walking a crooked highway with narrow shoulders. Could be a bit scary being on the shoulder if a tanker truck comes barrelling down the road. Not a bad walk back south on AT from Neels to the trail junction and then down into parking lot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++