WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I just discovered that I can pretty much see the ADT from my driveway as it goes through Muncie Indiana. I want to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail sometime in the next decade, so seeing as how I'm so close to the ADT, I can use that as preparation.

That dixon roller pack looks pretty cool. I'm not sure I'd really want to pay $300 bucks for one, though. Of course, if you're hiking 5000 miles, maybe it's worth it.

Talking Lion King

I would suggest going to Youtube and putting in "American Discovery Trail." Mike "Lion King" Daniels hiked the entire trail a few years back.

I've watched all of the 60 plus episodes of his travels on the ADT and I enjoyed every one of them. After watching his experiences you may be even more inspired to hike the ADT.

GOOD LUCK!
    THE LONGER YOU LIVE THE OLDER YOU GET

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    I would suggest going to Youtube and putting in "American Discovery Trail." Mike "Lion King" Daniels hiked the entire trail a few years back.

I've watched all of the 60 plus episodes of his travels on the ADT and I enjoyed every one of them. After watching his experiences you may be even more inspired to hike the ADT.

GOOD LUCK!
    I started to do just that - watched the first 14 episodes today (wanted to see how the trail looked between Muncie, Indiana and Cincinnati, Ohio as I'm contemplating doing that section). I will readily admit that I am a total noob when it comes to long-distance hiking. I did a bunch of day hikes while I was living in California, and I did a little camping, but I've never done a multi-day hike. I figured the terrain between Muncie and Cincinnati wouldn't be too bad and that it would probably take somewhere between 7-10 days. However, I've looked at some maps, and it appears that this whole section is filled with farm land and small towns. Where does one camp? On the side of the road? I had hoped that Lion King's videos might enlighten me on this point, or possibly show some of the trail, but from what I've seen so far, his videos focus more on his encounters with people with some glimpses of the trail. I don't say that as a criticism as that would be like saying a potato is no good because it's not cold, sweet, and creamy. A potato serves its function and ice creams serves another function. I enjoyed Lion King's videos and plan on watching the rest, but they serve a function different from what I was particularly interested in. I've contacted some people associated with the ADT, so hopefully they can provide me with some additional information or point me in the right direction. I don't know that I really want to pitch a tent in some farmer's field. But maybe that's what hikers do. I really have no idea.

Not the ADT but a fellow from Gastonia, NC named Jeff Rudisill just finished his walk across the country and used a modified Runabout Stroller frame. Pictures of it are on this page of his blog. Scroll down to the bottom.

He said he picked the Runabout because it had "airless" tires, a pretty important feature.
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-10-2011 at 06:45.

Default ADT Website

I think the best people to answer such questions are the members of the American Discovery Trail staff.

Here's a link to their website.

http://www.discoverytrail.org/about/staff.html

I think they could probably answer any question you may have about hiking the trail.

I agree, Lion King's videos are for entertainment and they serve that purpose well.
    THE LONGER YOU LIVE THE OLDER YOU GET

Quote Originally Posted by megamawax View Post
    I started to do just that - watched the first 14 episodes today (wanted to see how the trail looked between Muncie, Indiana and Cincinnati, Ohio as I'm contemplating doing that section). I will readily admit that I am a total noob when it comes to long-distance hiking. I did a bunch of day hikes while I was living in California, and I did a little camping, but I've never done a multi-day hike. I figured the terrain between Muncie and Cincinnati wouldn't be too bad and that it would probably take somewhere between 7-10 days. However, I've looked at some maps, and it appears that this whole section is filled with farm land and small towns. Where does one camp? On the side of the road? I had hoped that Lion King's videos might enlighten me on this point, or possibly show some of the trail, but from what I've seen so far, his videos focus more on his encounters with people with some glimpses of the trail. I don't say that as a criticism as that would be like saying a potato is no good because it's not cold, sweet, and creamy. A potato serves its function and ice creams serves another function. I enjoyed Lion King's videos and plan on watching the rest, but they serve a function different from what I was particularly interested in. I've contacted some people associated with the ADT, so hopefully they can provide me with some additional information or point me in the right direction. I don't know that I really want to pitch a tent in some farmer's field. But maybe that's what hikers do. I really have no idea.
    Actually a great deal of what you see in those clips IS the trail.

It aint all wilderness, not until you get west of Denver, before that, you have a lot of city/town/country road hiking, but thanks!

Alien Grey 1972 Alien Grey 1972's Avatar

Hey just saw the title and thought I would recomend two great books
    "A Walk Across America" & "The Walk West" both by Peter Jenkins.
    These books are the reason I got into hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Grey 1972 View Post
    Hey just saw the title and thought I would recomend two great books
    "A Walk Across America" & "The Walk West" both by Peter Jenkins.
    These books are the reason I got into hiking.
    These books soud good

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used to live just down the road from the Iowa route in Waterloo.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

You've got friends in Ohio!

The ADT comes within several miles of my house south of Chillicothe (follows the Buckeye Trail), just as you leave Scioto Trails State Park. Like Doctari said, you are welcome to our home. And I make wine (good wine!). Make a note, and if you want to set it up, PM me: pick-up, drop-off, excellent resupply, food, showers, and shelter. I would love to help by supporting your hike!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++