WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default American Discovery Trail - walk across America

A lady I met on the AT last year and have become good friends with has put the idea in my head to walk across America with her next year. I am very seriously considering this insane idea. It sounds like it would be one heck of a grand adventure.

Since much of this ADT "trail" is road walking of one kind or another, I'm thinking of making sort of a two wheel cart to drag the packs behind us. I think this would be a lot easier than wearing them. The trick will be making it light enough to be able to carry if need be for a day or two and be able to break it down to mail ahead when not needed during longer sections of real trail hiking.

Well, we got a whole year to plan this walk, I'm sure just doing that much will be a job in it's self.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

my thought is a skateboard attached to the bottom of the pack...you would have to get the lightest components possible with wheels trucks and deck..

enjoy your trip

Images

Did you ever see one of those radio controlled mini-blimps at a big sporting event?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    A lady I met on the AT last year and have become good friends with has put the idea in my head to walk across America with her next year. I am very seriously considering this insane idea. It sounds like it would be one heck of a grand adventure.

Since much of this ADT "trail" is road walking of one kind or another, I'm thinking of making sort of a two wheel cart to drag the packs behind us. I think this would be a lot easier than wearing them. The trick will be making it light enough to be able to carry if need be for a day or two and be able to break it down to mail ahead when not needed during longer sections of real trail hiking.

Well, we got a whole year to plan this walk, I'm sure just doing that much will be a job in it's self.

Google hand cart pioneers.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    my thought is a skateboard attached to the bottom of the pack...you would have to get the lightest components possible with wheels trucks and deck..

enjoy your trip
    Thats an interesting idea, will have to look into that! Thanks!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There is a trans-continental bike route. Some of the ADT is a bike route. I would go that route before dragging a pack on wheels. Whatever you decide, good luck! Send Lion King a PM. He could prolly offer some sage advice.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

I was part of HikaNation, the precursor hike to the ADT. On that hike, one of the guys who fancied himself an inventor, mounted wheels to the frame of his pack and developed a harness so that it could be pulled through Kansas and Oklahoma. If I remember right, it only lasted for a short time. The small wheels just weren't up to the rigors of day after day, all day use over relatively rough surfaces while loaded. Plus, it was't much of an advantage effort wise.

One couple had a six-month-old infant with them. They used a one wheeled PVC pipe and nylon netting "deer carrier". This was a much sturdier device that utilized a bicycle wheel. It did take two folks to manuver it efficiently. This couple carried their own packs and gear, but used this carrier to transport all the diapers, formula etc. that their daughter required. This carrier was capable of handling the relatively gentle trails, but they still had to by-pass much of the western route through the mountains and the 500 miles of the AT. It did handle the miles and load with little problem tho.

I guess what I'm saying is others have tried, but there does seem to be a reason that most people find a backpack to be the most efficient way to carry a load when walking. What would you do with your device when a pack was needed? My understanding is that much of the ADT alternates between trail and road. I think it would be a bigger hassle to have to keep switching, but have at it if you're so inclined. One never knows.

When Karl Bushby walked from the tip of Tierra del Fuego to Alaska (part of an around the world walk), he pulled a cart behind him. There is a lot of discussion about it in his first book, but he may also have information on his website. Now that he's walking in Russia, he's pulling a sled.
    http://goliath.mail2web.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    When Karl Bushby walked from the tip of Tierra del Fuego to Alaska (part of an around the world walk), he pulled a cart behind him. There is a lot of discussion about it in his first book, but he may also have information on his website. Now that he's walking in Russia, he's pulling a sled.
    http://goliath.mail2web.com/
    And check out George Meegan would used a rolling cart on his 19,000 mile journey from Argentina to Alaska.

http://www.amazon.com/Longest-Walk-O.../dp/039608723X

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

I guess what I'm saying is others have tried,
    The Mormon hand cart pioneers. A lot of them died on the frozen prarie. Brigham Young had to send a rescue party from SLC.

My sister and her family walked from Gainesville, FL to Portland, OR in the 70's. Nike and Jansport sponsered them (The Walking Warriners). Part of my present backpack was carried across the entire USA.

Over all unless youre on a bike, the pull cart is a really bad idea.

Lots of Ups and Downs, even on roads. (Well...except the bike path stretches)...and almost all of Nebraska.

I dont recommend it.

To see what the trail looks like you can check out any of the 50 plus video clips at my website of the ADT.

See the Dixon Rollerpack at http://dixonrollerpack.com
    7-1/2 pounds

I've just started researching this "trail", trying to get a feel of how much road walking, not really crazy about road walking for long distances. I also get the impression you'll be out in the open (prairies/deserts) a lot, also not desireable.

I'll wait for more detailed questions after some more research, but can anyone put a rough figure on the amount of road walking, i.e. 30%, 50%....

Images

This site may have the information you're looking for or at least get you in touch with the folks with the answers!! Good luck.......W-W

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I've just started researching this "trail", trying to get a feel of how much road walking, not really crazy about road walking for long distances. I also get the impression you'll be out in the open (prairies/deserts) a lot, also not desireable.

I'll wait for more detailed questions after some more research, but can anyone put a rough figure on the amount of road walking, i.e. 30%, 50%....
    East of Colorado there is a lot of "road walking". I lump rail-to-trail, C&O Canal, levee roads and most bike trails into road walking because they are flat and hard pack if not paved. There are still quite a few places where you cannot take a loaded bike on the official ADT.

In Colorado things change - drastically! There is still significant road walking until just past Denver. Then you get into single track trails mostly. By the time you get to Utah the roads will become little used dirt 4x4 tracks in most cases. But much of Utah, Nevada, and the first half of California are remote, hot or cold, dry or snowy. Even though the trail follows the Kokopelli Trail (mountain bike) in Colorado and Utah, don't even think about taking a loaded bike on it.

The western half of the ADT more difficult than the CDT - Less water, more remote, hotter in summer and just as cold/snowy in winter.

Yes, you will be out in the open a lot. I'll guess 80% of the time. Even the roadwalks in farming country are probably not shaded.

Ok, off the top of my head I'll put the road walking number at over 50%, but some of those roads are butt-kickers. If you are planning to hike or bike this trail you need to do some planning for the western portion. I suggest you go to www.discoverytrail.org and check out the ADT journals at www.trailjournals.com including our journal http://www.trailjournals.com/GottaWalkADT .

Images

I second the Dixon Roller pack.

Also, the ADT goes near my house (about 4 miles away) in Cincinnati, & the northern loop RIGHT past my moms house about 25 trail miles west of Cinti. so as you get close, drop a PM & I may be able to put you up, or at least a shower & camp in the ample back yard.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++