WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deuter packers?

Question Deuter packers?

Just ordered a Deuter ACT Zero 60 + 10. Wgt 3.1 lbs. Anybody here using Deuter packs for week or longer hikes? Trailspace reviews were excellent; just wondering what anybody here thinks.
    It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else that prevents men from living freely and nobly. B. Russell

Images

Be sure to give us a review of this pack after you try it out. I've been deciding on this pack or the osprey exos 58. Thanks.

You got it. Hot Springs to Erwin. Late April.
    It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else that prevents men from living freely and nobly. B. Russell

I used my Deuter day pack for the first time last weekend and I believe they have covered everything. Built in rainfly, good pockets and their suspension is awesome. I may get a big Deuter pack in the future.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

I used a Deuter Futura 42 for about 750 miles on the AT in 2002. Great pack back then and i'm sure they're even better now....
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Used my ACT Zero light (or something like that) for several short, 2-3 day trips. I really liked it but I could not seem to get the adjustable suspension adjusted so that it would sit right on my back. The top part sort of made this...bulge...that rubbed my spine. Drove me nuts.
    And I didn't like the triangular shaped top pocket (I hope I'm thinking of the correct pack here. I went through 3 or 4 before settling on my GoLite Quest.). I'm one of those knuckleheads who puts his water in the top pocket and I could not make even a 2 liter Platypus fit if it was remotely full. This of course could have been cured by putting the Platypus where the pack was designed for it (see reference to knucklehead).

Last year, I carried a Deuter Aircontact Zero and loved it. It is too large in volume for me now. I've learned to lighten up. I wouldn't hesitate buying another Deuter though.

Images

My 14 year old son carries an Air Contact Lite 65+10. It weighs in at 3 pounds 11 ounces. He loves this pack and while its a bit big (I have trained him to pack small and lite), it provides him space to carry his share of the bit oversized crew gear (he is a Boy Scout).

This pack is the "middle" version of Deuter's suspension systems and I would compare it to my GG Nimbus Meridian (my plug goes in for this pack). The Deuter's suspension is a little less substantial than my Gregory Whitney and much more support (waist belt) than a Gregory Z55.

It has taken some abuse (he is a kid) and has maybe eight or ten backpacking trips and countless "car campouts" with no signs of ware.

I really like the design of this pack because it is very very adjustable from the shortest of backs to the longest. In fact, I am not sure I have seen any other internal frame pack (maybe a Kelty???) that is as adjustable as a Deuter. So, when buying for a kid, you get a long window of usage. Heck, maybe I will never have to buy him another pack.

I've heard the Deuter Junior is a good pack for strong kids that can and want to carry some weight. My daughter doesn't fit that category, since she is barely 50 pounds now at age 9. I don't think kids should carry more than half their height squared, i.e. 8 pounds for a 4' kid, 12.5 pounds for a 5' kid, but for those that do, I have heard the Deuter Juniour is a good pack. That's what Sarbars kid used, and he did lots and lots of miles, and she said it was a good choice. It would be nice if they made ultralight packs for kids. I have a 10oz daypack I might modify for Margaret, but I still carry her heavy stuff. I am more interested in her hiking 20km days than carrying 20 pounds.

Actually it was the Deuter Fox she had for her son I think. Looking at their site the do make some smaller lighter packs for kids also. I might get one for my daughter as I think the L.L.Bean school packs are too big and heavy.

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/pr...ly&tert=family

Deuter Kids Packs
    http://www.deuterusa.com/products/fa...hp?tert=family

Fox 30 = 39oz 2050ci for 10-17" torso
    Climber = 28oz 1350ci for 10-16" torso
    Junior = 15oz 1100ci for smaller kids
    Ultrabike = 11oz 600ci for smaller kids

Nice to see someone making lighter packs for kids.

i bought a deuter daypack last year and use it for week long trips in the summer. i absolutely love it. if i didn't love my jade 60 more, i'd buy a bigger deuter for winter hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I've heard the Deuter Junior is a good pack for strong kids that can and want to carry some weight. My daughter doesn't fit that category, since she is barely 50 pounds now at age 9. I don't think kids should carry more than half their height squared, i.e. 8 pounds for a 4' kid, 12.5 pounds for a 5' kid, but for those that do, I have heard the Deuter Juniour is a good pack. That's what Sarbars kid used, and he did lots and lots of miles, and she said it was a good choice. It would be nice if they made ultralight packs for kids. I have a 10oz daypack I might modify for Margaret, but I still carry her heavy stuff. I am more interested in her hiking 20km days than carrying 20 pounds.
    What kind of math are you doing there?(1/2H)^2? You'd have a six foot kid carrying 9 pounds.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

No. 18 pounds. Which is plenty if they are still a kid.

My daughter carries a scary ammount of weight to school sometimes, and likes to sling it over just one shoulder. I give her heck and we talk about it. She's getting better.

half their height squared=(.5*H)^2? Did you mean [(0.5*H)^2]*2?
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Ah. Yeah you're right. I meant 0.5(H^2). Not sure how to say that.

Perhaps (H^2)/2

height squared over two

you two quit it! my eyes are bleeding.

Ahh, I see how you were thinking. I think it would be said, half of the squared height.

Anyway, I have a Deuter Fox for my son that I bought after reading Sarbar's recommendations. It was a Christmas present, so it hasn't been out yet. It fits my five year old. It is well made though and very adjustable. Probably a little small for the OP though, but eventually it will get used for a week long trip!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

I have the Deuter 60 + 10 Act Zer0. It is my favorite pack. Light, carries all I need, fits good..... I've got about 300 miles on mine. The only thing I did was replace the hipbelt buckle. It broke a tine on one side. The other side held for three days. I put a heavier duty buckle on it. No problem.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

My daughter is already 9, but only 50" tall, maybe 51" now, but still not much over 50#, maybe 55#. I'll have to check again. lol. It seems crazy getting her a pack heavier than my Jam2. I might get her the Deuter Junior. It looks pretty good. and not to heavy. I'll ask her what she thinks. If I get another good long hike with her its worth it.

I agree I think the OP was looking for an adult pack. Sorry to hijack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++