WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default 2009 Thru-Hikers

I'm planning on NOBO at the End of july. How many other people are planning on Thru-hiking?

A minor point - LT thru-hikers are usually referred to as end-to-enders.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Im planning on doing the LT again this yr, leaving on the 30th of june NOBO.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

I'll be on another LT E-2-E either NOBO at the very end of June or SOBO in mid August.

Hi Quoddy,
    Maybe we'll see you out there again , I met you 2 yrs ago on the LT, i was hiking with Low Impact, do you remeber us? i think it was story spring shelter we stayed at together, not sure though, enclosed cabin overlooking the pond? there was also another couple there with 2 big black dogs.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Yes, I remember you and Low Impact well and I noticed that we may be heading the same direction at the same time if I go NOBO this year. My 2007 journal says that we first met at Sucker Brook... " Also here tonight was Windtalker and Mom, Low Impact, BackTrack, Leo, Black Bear, and Miss Amerika". I think we also were at Skyline Lodge (by the pond) at the same time.

Good memory Quoddy,
    windtalker & mom ended up hiking in to journeys end to meet low impact and i, then drove us to burlington so we could catch our rides home, very cool people.
    hopefully we'll see you again, im still working on the planning,parking etc. but plan on leaving lune 30th, im hiking with my daughter this time before she goes off to collage.

We'll be starting ours on May 27th. Hate to start early, but, we only get about 2 perfect months in Montana for good weather hiking at high altitudes. We want to be back for July and August. Have trips planned along CDT, Glacier and Absorokas.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I'm going NOBO from Rutland starting in early August, I hope.

Default Wait for the sweet spot

I'm planning to go NOBO, but I'm waiting for the sweet spot....I expect to leave mid-August and finish mid-September which will give me cool (but not cold) temperatures, few mosquitoes, and reasonably long days. Also, I might actually be in decent shape by late summer, which would also help!

For fall colours, I will probably take a week in Parc national du Mont-Tremblant in Quebec. I'll stay in the shelters to avoid the frosty October weather!

I'm planning on going NOBO in either early or mid June, depending upon some commitments I may or may not have, and will hopefully be able to finish and be back home in about a month. I've hiked sections of the LT, with this being my first end to end and long distance hike in general, in both early and later summer and found June to be the most pleasant month for me. This despite the fact that many complain about the mosquitoes, rain and colder weather.

Hoping to do this in late July/early August when I get the time off work...and they'd better let me. I tend to do things to voice my displeasure when the boss denies me - like quitting the following March.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Images

You guys are killing me with your end-to-end hikes planned this summer! I have to settle for trying to finish it in sections this year

Quote Originally Posted by WalterP View Post
    You guys are killing me with your end-to-end hikes planned this summer! I have to settle for trying to finish it in sections this year
    Be thankful. Since moving from New Hampshire in 2007 we had to settle for not hiking it at all

It's fun seeing names on this thread that were in the shelter logs during my '07 E2E hike on the LT.

I've thought about a third E2E, but I think I'm going to try the Cohos trail starting in Canada and - if I can get enough enough time off - work my way over to Maine junction (hiking through the Pemi and meeting up with the AT at Franconia Ridge) and see if I can't get in some miles on the LT.

I'm planning on starting northbound on the 28th of June.
    "I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
    "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
    - Lewis Carroll

Default long trail fall

I see that everyone is leaving yearly compared to me. I haven't finished all the details yet, but I was planning on starting at the AT train station in Pawling ny on September 11. Which means that I would arrive in Williamstown about 10 days later. I know that i will encounter chilly weather but I don't expect anything serious, and the leaves will still leaves be around, right?

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dgever View Post
    I see that everyone is leaving yearly compared to me. I haven't finished all the details yet, but I was planning on starting at the AT train station in Pawling ny on September 11. Which means that I would arrive in Williamstown about 10 days later. I know that i will encounter chilly weather but I don't expect anything serious, and the leaves will still leaves be around, right?
    The peak for foilage at the south end of the LT (where I live) is about Oct 9th and at the northern end around Sep 28th. You should hit peak somewhere in the middle of your LT hike. You'll have lots of color along most of the trail, particularly after the first week in Vermont.

thanks that is very reassuring, and the clearest answer i have gotten. What do you think the weather will be like in the northern half, at the beginning of October?

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dgever View Post
    What do you think the weather will be like in the northern half, at the beginning of October?
    You should expect daytime temperatures close to 50F and night time at around freezing in the "lower" elevations and in the low/mid 20's at higher elevations. Of course it could vary just after the passage of a cold front. You'll see some misty/foggy valley conditions at that time of year, but some beautiful vistas, too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++