WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Year Ago

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Default One Year Ago

This past Sunday marked the one year anniversary of the day I started my AT thru hike. On this day one year ago I was hiking NOBO out of Woody's Gap, heading to Wood's Hole Shelter. I had just finished riding out a nasty storm at the Hiker Hostel.

You know the feeling I'm talking about. It's the "I'd rather be there and not here" feeling in your gut. It's knowing that instead of walking through the simplistically beautiful mountains of Northern Georgia, I'm sitting here working on an assignment for school.

What great memories the trail has given me. I will never forget those five months.

Images

You've got yourself a bad case of Springer Fever. Sorry, there ain't no cure.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    You've got yourself a bad case of Springer Fever. Sorry, there ain't no cure.

There is a cure, get back out there!!!

Images

I was on Springer yesterday and I think I was more excited for everyone than they were for themselves. I love that place....I have Springer fever now too.....

Images

get used to that feeling, it probably won't leave you for a while.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    This past Sunday marked the one year anniversary of the day I started my AT thru hike. On this day one year ago I was hiking NOBO out of Woody's Gap, heading to Wood's Hole Shelter. I had just finished riding out a nasty storm at the Hiker Hostel.

You know the feeling I'm talking about. It's the "I'd rather be there and not here" feeling in your gut. It's knowing that instead of walking through the simplistically beautiful mountains of Northern Georgia, I'm sitting here working on an assignment for school.

What great memories the trail has given me. I will never forget those five months.
    Why don't you just quit school and come on back on the trail and become a hiking god like Lone Wolf?

9 years ago this coming Saturday... I had Springer Fever year 1, but not much since. I definitely get the Jones to hike, but have set my sights on other trails.

Lots of great trails across America Kirby. Find one you want to hike, and go for it! You won't regret it.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

I think I might be hiking Kilington next week when I go to visit a friend in VT, not sure though.

Images

The best way to enjoy Killington in March is skiing the mashed potatoes on a warm day.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Didn't you say that you'd be at American University in D. C. next fall? You've got a great future already in your hands. And, as a bonus, you'll be very close to the trail--Pennsylvania, anyone? Shennies, anyone? And we'll get to enjoy seeing you again and hearing your presentation in October. Meanwhile, bouncing back to the trail mentally does give each of us relief when ordinary goings on are just too much. Just think of those visions as aces in your pocket.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

I'm not sure if I'm making a presentation at the Gathering, I'll decide at some point.

Images

"Sorry, there ain't no cure."

That's because you ain't tried MORE COWBELL!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah I felt that way last year. I mean I REALLY wanted to be out there. Not so much this year - got too much on my plate right now with work and family issues but am thinking about future hikes for sure. A small upcoming section next month too which I am looking forward to. And got myself a new down bag, sigh.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

26 years ago, March 17. I've been able to rationalize my "fever" since, but it always comes back. It's a great feeling.

Images

Four months havn't even gone by and I have Springer fever. When we were on the trail I knew exactly what to expect when times were tough but back in the real world with the economy the way it is I have never been so stressed I my whole life. When I was up on Springer Tuesday it was the most peaceful calming feeling...It felt so good to see all the NOBO's starting out and getting away from all this....

Sorry to whine but I havn't been unemployeed since I was 15....

Garlic
    Images

Kirby, best of luck getting through this bout of 'fever' and finishing your senior year and getting on to college. What a pleasure it was to meet you and Cookie and share a couple of days of Trail with you.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

It's rapidly approaching the 6th anniversary of my start date and I still have the bug. Not sure I ever want to shake it either !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Glad to see you on line, Kirby. I got Springer Fever and was there over the weekend in the snow. Good stuff. Enjoyed meeting up with on the trail. Did Cookie finish with you?
    Sue Buak

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Nature View Post
    Glad to see you on line, Kirby. I got Springer Fever and was there over the weekend in the snow. Good stuff. Enjoyed meeting up with on the trail. Did Cookie finish with you?
    Yeah, we finished together.

Images

I got it bad this year, too. Been two years for me. So I'm planning a two week section this year, ending at Trail Days. Best I can do, and I'm gonna love every hurting, sweating, cold, hungry, tired minute of it!!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++