WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Default The current Kirkridge shelter with pictures

I was up at Kirkridge a couple of months ago on a winter day hike. It's still a very nice shelter with a very nice interior setup, entirely rebuilt and replacing the old structure. The covered porch in front of the sleeping platform in so large that it has the picnic table under it with plenty of room to spare.

There's also a very nice privy and the water spigot up at the "Spiritual Life Center" is the only reliable water between Wind Gap and DWG. The view is also nice, though it was getting a bit obscured by trees when I was there. It's a southeastern view, so the rising sun shines straight into the shelter, but of course that means you can watch it without rolling out of your bag.

Here are some pictures I took that day of the shelter.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

I was very pleasantly surprised when I went though there last summer during my thru hike, great shelter. I hike that section in in 2005, and there is no comparison to its current condition. The maintenance crew in this area did a great job redesigning the shelter.
    Pootz 07

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    I was up at Kirkridge a couple of months ago on a winter day hike. It's still a very nice shelter with a very nice interior setup, entirely rebuilt and replacing the old structure. The covered porch in front of the sleeping platform in so large that it has the picnic table under it with plenty of room to spare.

There's also a very nice privy and the water spigot up at the "Spiritual Life Center" is the only reliable water between Wind Gap and DWG. The view is also nice, though it was getting a bit obscured by trees when I was there. It's a southeastern view, so the rising sun shines straight into the shelter, but of course that means you can watch it without rolling out of your bag.

Here are some pictures I took that day of the shelter.
    Nice pics! It's been over 20 years since I was there - about all I really remember is the spigot and the sunrise! (I gotta get off of this computer and get out more....)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

It was nice, real nice, back in mid-Sept. '06. Nobody there but me. A bit weird to get your water out of a spigot. The road's weird too, but since it's a private road to a mountaintop Xian retreat, it wasn't as much of a worry, somehow. Good cell reception.

AT 2012

...I hate to bother the Kirkridge retreat center to find out when they've turned the water on for the warmer weather... is there any chance someone might post that it's turned on when they've gone by and know it is? one of PA's fine maintainers? i know it'll be about a month, but wanted to wait for a section hike until i could count on water there. THANKS!!!
    Lazarus

Images

We had a great night there (almost stayed in a beautiful field north of the shelter though). The water spigot was very nice to have and the shelter was spic & span. We were entertained all night by two rabbits who hung out under the table.

When I stayed there in September of 08 I was alone-almost. A large black snack came to visit and decided to explore the shelter. Seems like his kin folks were at many of the PA shelters last year but they all seemed friendly. They just stopped in to say HI and really didn't cause much of a problem. Being alone, I set up my tent that night and slept without any worries about visitors. I do remember the water at the spigot having a metallic taste, but it was water.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes there is a big snake there that hangs in the tree (he did when we were there). And a big bear not too far from there also. Nature city.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

i visited Kirkridge just this past weekend. i was very impressed with its condition. everything was clean and there were a bunch of great examples of trail magic. off the top of my head i can remember an unopened jar of peanut butter in the mailbox, a small radio that got incredible reception on nearly every station, a brand new looking tent in its box (nothing special, just a walmart thing for emergencies i would assume), a BIC lighter with plenty of fluid, some dry newspaper, and tons of other stuff. there is quite a bit of graffiti on the walls and ceiling, but it all seems somewhat positive in nature. lots of people writing favorite quotes, remembering friends who've passed, etc. The only negative was the privy... terrible! and no TP.. glad i remembered to bring some. lol.

my one regret is that i didn't check out the water spigot, so i'm of no help there.

hey whats up dc?

i just got back from a dwg to kirkridge and back trip, camped in the breezy field a few hundred feet north. i used the water from the spigot for food and when it was boiling some oil was floating on top, didnt trust it so i used it to wash up instead of drinking.

Images

hey man, not too much. same old stuff, except for the link below haha

Local Kirkridge bears
    ... click the link for the story and a pic. Hang your food away from you!!!

Images

Default Night at Kirkridge Shelter

I'm just back from a section hike and stayed last night at Kirkridge shelter. It's still in fine shape, the water tap is functioning fine, and the privy fairly clean.

It was a full house last night in the shelter, with 2-Pound, Bugman, Turtle, Bru-meister, Heidi and John, and father/daughter section hikers from Florida. I was hanging just in back of the shelter at a nice hammock spot, with Fearless Phil trying out his new ENO hammock at a site just upslope.

It rained pretty steadily from about 10 last night, with some great (distant) lightening for evening entertainment. It dawned fairly foggy, but was already burning off quickly by 6:30, uncovering a beautiful clear blue sky.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

Default snake!!!!!

just watch out 4 the big black rat snake in the top right corner

Images

I love Kirkridge- good water source, big sturdy sleeping platform, very dry, the only problem is the huge amount of poison ivy!

Quote Originally Posted by PUNKINPUSS11 View Post
    just watch out 4 the big black rat snake in the top right corner
    Kiss it. It's eating the shelter mice!
    Last edited by Buzz_Lightfoot; 07-13-2009 at 06:57. Reason: typo
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Images

u r a man wisdom, never thought of that...but still spooky

Images

He was nowhere to be seen with all the activity on Saturday night. I'm sure he was hunkered down somewhere to wait out the rain and cool weather. Still, he's been doing his job well, as there also wasn't a shelter mouse to be seen (no signs of the little vermin either.) There were a couple of very bold chipmunks, but they're cute and entertaining.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

I woke up to find one of those chipmunks in my boots- note to everyone, shack our boots out first!!! (It was a little startling- it was something lihe this, I wake up and need to visit the privy, grab my boots, clumsily try to put my left foot in and hear something like skwk, and see a flying ball of fur)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I woke up to find one of those chipmunks in my boots- note to everyone, shack our boots out first!!! (It was a little startling- it was something lihe this, I wake up and need to visit the privy, grab my boots, clumsily try to put my left foot in and hear something like skwk, and see a flying ball of fur)
    I don't mean to laugh but I got a chuckle out of that. I can just picture it..
    Last edited by Buzz_Lightfoot; 07-13-2009 at 14:14. Reason: typos
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Images

i was there right after tim russert died and i wrote a little note to him , miss you "timmy "

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++