WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Just stopped by Kirkridge today on my way to The Gap!

The shelter appeared to be in great shape with little refuge about. However, the water seems to be turned off at the spigot near the church retreat and the pages of the log book have been depleted. Looks like its time for a new one before the thru-hikers come in.

On a more troubling note, there seemed to be an indication that there is a homeless person about in the area. Soon after following the trail from the shelter toward Nelson's vista I noticed a fresh wrapper of suboxon on the trail. For those not familiar with the drug, it serves as a medication given to those suffering from heroine withdraw. Those who aren't regular users, will get a tremendous high from it. So, at this point I was keeping an eye out for any other sort of sketchiness. Upon reaching Nelson's view, I noticed a brownish/red/tan tent near the tree line. If you are coming from Kirkridge you simply look a bit to left and its tucked next to the treeline where you reenter the woods. I found it a bit disturbing since it didn't seem to be a backpacking style tent and I had just found that wrapper before. I would keep an eye out if anyone goes through the area to make sure this person isn't about or making it home.

Probably no harm, but just a good idea to be aware.

In August, 2008 I spent a night at the Kirkridge shelter with my friend Creeper and we ordered pizza. So yes, the road access to the shelter made it easy for the pizza delivery guy. Ate very well. At that time, there was a menu or something there that gave the phone #. Also got a cold shower. Sounds like we slept in the "old" shelter. Open pavillion roomy, tables, maybe cooler because it was open on all sides, but it was under roof. I enjoyed my night at Kirkridge.

coffee kid,
    i think we may have met at kirkridge in 2008. was hiking in the area with my 13yo son. i remember someone carrying in banana cream pie from DWG, possibly hiking with two others. one was a lady?

I grew up very close to the kirkridge shelter so I camp there pretty often when through hiking. I am an avid winter-camper so most of the nights I have spent at kirkridge I have not been worried about food attracting bears or any other critters for that matter. However, I am planning a trip with two of my buddies for this weekend (3/8/13-3/10/13) and am debating whether or not I will need to bear bag the food. I know kirkridge is definitely a hot-spot for bears.

When in doubt hang you food. Better safe than sorry.

Twilight

Yeah I think that's going to be the case Twilight - I just miss January camping when I could eat in my tent haha. No more of that until at least december.

Visited the Kirkridge shelter on May 1st and the water spigot was OFF. There is no other water source nearby so be prepared. Also there is a nice spot for tenting about .1 mile north of the shelter. Happy hiking!

Virginia Tortoise

When I sectioned that area in 2006 the spigot was not turned on yet. I was coming SOBO from DWG and was out of water when I reached Kirkridge. I was panicking. A local lady happened to be day hiking and was at the shelter at the time. She told me to proceed southbound to Fox Gap PA191, turn left, go about 1 mile down hill, make the first left turn, go another quarter mile and a stream would be crossing the road. I did it. It took about an hour but I had water and was able to proceed southbound on my section hike.

Images

I stopped by the Kirkridge shelter on 8/23 and everything looked good. Four people and one dog were enjoying the shelter. Water was on.

Will be doing a section through here and spending our first night at Kirkridge. Mid April...anyone know if the water will be on? Does the retreat actually control the water somehow?

Yes the water supply is a spigot at the retreat. The retreat is seasonal and they turn off and I expect drain the water system until its past the chance of freezing so you take your chances in the spring.

When I hiked through on a long section in the spring it was closed and unlike a prior poster we didn't find a local to help us out but we used our map and found the same water source

When I sectioned that area in 2006 the spigot was not turned on yet. I was coming SOBO from DWG and was out of water when I reached Kirkridge. I was panicking. A local lady happened to be day hiking and was at the shelter at the time. She told me to proceed southbound to Fox Gap PA191, turn left, go about 1 mile down hill, make the first left turn, go another quarter mile and a stream would be crossing the road. I did it. It took about an hour but I had water and was able to proceed southbound on my section hike.

Kirkridge shelter PA.jpg A photo from Monday, shelter was very clean and large compared to the ones in NH. Did have a note warning about wasp/bees around the pump. I did not need water so I did not try to find out if the warning was correct.

Images

Anyone happen to know if the spigot is on?
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Was just there this weekend...spigot is ON! And the water is nice! Enjoy
    check out my blog - Hilltackler...answering the call of the trail.
    hilltackler.com

Fair warning -- the tenting spot that Somers515 mentioned has a beautiful view. If you camp there, you will find some unusual wind streamers indicating that the hill is a favored hang-glider launching spot. In addition to the quiet retreat, there must beto be a target range nearby, because you can hear rifle and shotgun fire. The highway a mile or so away is a popular night racing spot for motorcycles (especially Harleys). Anchor your tent and bring earplugs, because the view in the morning is worth all of it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobp View Post
    Fair warning -- the tenting spot that Somers515 mentioned has a beautiful view. If you camp there, you will find some unusual wind streamers indicating that the hill is a favored hang-glider launching spot. In addition to the quiet retreat, there must beto be a target range nearby, because you can hear rifle and shotgun fire. The highway a mile or so away is a popular night racing spot for motorcycles (especially Harleys). Anchor your tent and bring earplugs, because the view in the morning is worth all of it.

Yep. Great camping spot. Stayed there last year. Avoid the shelter, get your water there and go north.

Images

Any chance the water is on at Kirkridge Shelter? My friend and I are doing a shakedown there next week. If there's a chance it isn't on, we might switch sections
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

It is still winter here in PA, odds are the water is off to avoid freezing pipes.

Images

That's what I thought, sure wish there was a stream up there!

Images

They're calling for 5 to 8 inches of fresh snow on Tuesday. You could melt snow...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++