Just stopped by Kirkridge today on my way to The Gap!

The shelter appeared to be in great shape with little refuge about. However, the water seems to be turned off at the spigot near the church retreat and the pages of the log book have been depleted. Looks like its time for a new one before the thru-hikers come in.

On a more troubling note, there seemed to be an indication that there is a homeless person about in the area. Soon after following the trail from the shelter toward Nelson's vista I noticed a fresh wrapper of suboxon on the trail. For those not familiar with the drug, it serves as a medication given to those suffering from heroine withdraw. Those who aren't regular users, will get a tremendous high from it. So, at this point I was keeping an eye out for any other sort of sketchiness. Upon reaching Nelson's view, I noticed a brownish/red/tan tent near the tree line. If you are coming from Kirkridge you simply look a bit to left and its tucked next to the treeline where you reenter the woods. I found it a bit disturbing since it didn't seem to be a backpacking style tent and I had just found that wrapper before. I would keep an eye out if anyone goes through the area to make sure this person isn't about or making it home.

Probably no harm, but just a good idea to be aware.