WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ula Ohm

Smile Ula Ohm

has any one had any experience with the new ULA OHM? what do you think?

Nope.

My intent is not to admonish but to help you possibly get more responses: you may have more luck posting in the gear-head forums down at the bottom of the list of forum groups.

I only post because I didn't realize the gear forums were there until several months after I joined WB...I always stopped scrolling down the forum group list once the AT stuff stopped.

SGT Rock (and other WB site designers): you might want to consider moving the gear forums above the "other long trail" forums: they seem to get more action and it makes intuitive sense (to me at least) to list the forum group categories in order of popularity.

Images

I've never used the ohm, but ula is a pretty damn good company, so you can trust them. I would try one on with weight in it if you could. If it's comfortable and can hold all your stuff, then go with it. I suggest you don't buy a pack that you don't try on first.

there was a thread on this in the general gear forum sometime last month
    Snappy
    GAME--'09

thanks.

thanks.

Default own it

I purchased the Ohm a few weeks ago and did an overnighter at Mt.Rogers. I must preface my remarks by saying I already own a Catalyst and while this is very similar to the excellent qualities of the Catalyst I think that this is truly a 'lightweight' pack in its own right and because I don't think it would be very comfortable with the 25-30 lbs that I used it for, but rather at around 20-25 lbs it is ideal. The suspension and compression cord are different from the Catalyst but other than that it favors its bigger brother in both quality and use. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Got my Ohm just the other day. As already stated, it will probably carry best with loads topping out at 25lbs. Although, I had a ULA P-1, which was frame-less, and I carried 32lbs with it. The P-1 did have a larger hip-belt though.
    Workmanship on the Ohm is excellent, and the hip-belt and shoulder strap load lifters really do work well. The shoulder strap lifters, will pull the load against your back and lift some of the weight, up off your shoulders. The Hip-belt load straps, pull the pack into your lumbar, and also lift the weight up off your shoulders as well.
    I have a 20" torso, and a 35-36" waist. I went with a large Ohm, and its slightly tall for me, but I like the attachment point of the shoulder straps to be level or just slightly below level, to my shoulders, with this type of pack.
    As the pack weight increase's, packs will ride somewhat lower as well, pulling the attachment point slightly lower on one's back.
    The hip-belt wraps around the front of my hips well, with about 6" between the padded ends.
    I can't comment as to how comfortable the carry will be yet, as I just received the pack.
    Love the optional dual hip-belt pockets which are very large in size. They are big enough for a camera, headlamp, energy bar's, etc,etc,etc.
    Folded Z-rest fits nicely inside along the back panel, and side compression lacing works very well. Mesh front pocket is a little on the small, compared to other packs of this type, but should be large enough for rain shell etc.
    I'll plan to use the Ohm for an upcoming 4 day NCT hike, and I'll try and report back here after I've used it. I'm going to try and get my carry weight at approx. 24lbs max. including water. I should be able to do, if I don't get crazy with the food, like I do sometimes?

Images

I loaded up my Ohm yesterday for a five day trip and had room left over. The front pocket took my Contrail without issue, including a rainshell. I have found the front pocket huge as it stretches out nicely!

Got my Ohm just the other day. As already stated, it will probably carry best with loads topping out at 25lbs. Although, I had a ULA P-1, which was frame-less, and I carried 32lbs with it. The P-1 did have a larger hip-belt though.

Workmanship on the Ohm is excellent, and the hip-belt and shoulder strap load lifters really do work well. The shoulder strap lifters, will pull the load against your back and lift some of the weight, up off your shoulders. The Hip-belt load straps, pull the pack into your lumbar, and also lift the weight up off your shoulders as well.

I have a 20" torso, and a 35-36" waist. I went with a large Ohm, and its slightly tall for me, but I like the attachment point of the shoulder straps to be level or just slightly below level, to my shoulders, with this type of pack.
    As the pack weight increase's, packs will ride somewhat lower as well, pulling the attachment point slightly lower on one's back.

The hip-belt wraps around the front of my hips well, with about 6" between the padded ends.
    I can't comment as to how comfortable the carry will be yet, as I just received the pack.

Love the optional dual hip-belt pockets which are very large in size. They are big enough for a camera, headlamp, energy bar's, etc,etc,etc.
    Folded Z-rest fits nicely inside along the back panel, and side compression lacing works very well. Mesh front pocket is a little on the small side, compared to other packs of this type, but should be large enough for a rain shell etc.

I plan to use the Ohm for an upcoming 4 day NCT hike, and I'll try and report back here after I've used it. I'm going to try and get my carry weight at approx. 24lbs max. including water. I should be able to do it, if I don't get crazy with the food, like I do sometimes?

++ New Posts ++