WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default *Really* stupid question about stove canisters

This is probably a completely moronic question but here goes (in my own defense I've never looked at them in person since I'm planning on using an alchy stove) - but are the canisters interchangeable between brands? For example will a Snow Peak canister work on an MSR stove? An Optimus canister on a Brunton? Et cetera.
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Images

Pretty much they will all use each others canisters. The only thing is JetBoil made their canisters so only a JB stove can use them, but a JB can use everyone elses. It shouldn't cause you to look at just JB though, there are plenty of non jet boil canisters out there and the other stoves work just fine with real pots.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

i've been using coleman canisters with my GigaPower for years.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

My Primus Micron works with Primus, MSR, Coleman and JetBoil. The Bluet cartridges are different.

That makes me feel much better about a canister stove- it just didn't make any sense to me that the canisters would be proprietary (Jetboil excluded), it would just make it miserable for both retailers to try and stock as well as consumers actually using them.

(lol I'm still not 100% sold on them though, I sorta really like the simplicity of the alcohol stove)
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Images

Me too.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

canister stoves are simple too ya know. Pocket Rocket screws onto any canister stove. Turn gas on, Flick Lighter, Fire. No Measuring, No Priming.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Just a word of caution - If you travel to Europe, the most commonly available canister is different than the USA (MSR style canisters are available, but the blue butane canisters are sold everywhere).

The MSR Superfly is the only model I've seen sold in the USA (I didn't look very hard). The difference is in how the stove attaches - the Euro models require a clamp that graps the lip of the stove.

Images

I had a blue canister stove in Germany. I hated it. It is what got me off of canisters for years.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Pretty much they will all use each others canisters. The only thing is JetBoil made their canisters so only a JB stove can use them, but a JB can use everyone elses. It shouldn't cause you to look at just JB though, there are plenty of non jet boil canisters out there and the other stoves work just fine with real pots.
    My MSR pocket rocket works fine with jetboil canisters...
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

But not all canisters work the same. I liked Snow Peak much better than MSR for longevity and function and in cold weather.
    I used MSR, snow peak and jet boil with my pocket rocket.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The commonest canister to stove connection is the Lindal valve.
    Any cartridge that has that valve will work with any stove that takes it, however the performance will vary.
    There are 3 main types of gas used in those cartridges, propane,butane and Isobutane.
    Most come with a mix of propane and butane. As a quick guide the higher the propane content the lower temperature the cartridge will work in.
    Isobutane is in between propane (the best) and butane (the worst) for cold weather.
    My impression is that the JetBoil cartridges are made in the same factory that makes the MSR and the Kovea (not Kovea ...)
    So an MSR cartridge will work with the JetBoil and a Jetboil will work with an MSR stove.
    The other connections such as the Camping Gaz (the European version) somewhat similar but has a smooth connection not a screw thread,and the Powermax canisters, the ones that look like a hair spray can.
    A good explanation of the various fuels can be found here:
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Mixtures.htm
    Franco
    Lindal valve

Images

Wal Mart has started selling coleman iso-butane canisters. They work with all the stoves also. Don't confuse those with the big green propane canisters.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I had a blue canister stove in Germany. I hated it. It is what got me off of canisters for years.
    I had one as well, an old Bluet. Sucked HARD. Once I installed the canister it could not be removed until empty. Not terribly quick, and very unstable.

I have a Jetboil now as well as a couple alcohol stoves and two white gas models. The Jetboiol serves my purposes admirably except when I plan on boiling snow for water.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

I have a certain admiration for the Jetboil as an engineer, but still prefer my Kelly Kettle.
    They are similar products in many ways, including their inability to melt snow, at least from scratch. If you have some water you can bring that to a boil and then melt snow with it. In theory it takes 1 litre of boiling water to get another 1.25 litres from snow or ice, but in practice you are doing well if you can end up with twice as much water as you started with, before having to heat it all up again of course. I like a 2 litre pot in winter. Anyhow, I used to worry about not being able to melt snow, but as long as you don't drink your last 500ml you are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    But not all canisters work the same. I liked Snow Peak much better than MSR for longevity and function and in cold weather.
    I used MSR, snow peak and jet boil with my pocket rocket.
    I also like the Snow Peak canisters, they seem to work better than the Jetboil canister (I have a Jetboil stove) and they are cheaper.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by WritinginCT View Post
    (lol I'm still not 100% sold on them though, I sorta really like the simplicity of the alcohol stove)
    Like anything else, there's pros & cons. I love my Primus Micron: screw it to the canister, open valve, flick the built-in lighter (I don't ever have to use the bics I carry) and instant fire. Want to re-heat coffee or dinner? Turn, flick, flame, turn off - tough to do that with an alcohol stove.

OTOH, I love my cat can stove - don't much care for the cat food though.

Images

I have a snow peak ti stove and the MSR canisters work the best for me.,

Images

I wonder if JetBoil changed their canisters. I based what I said off the comments from users a few years back that JetBoil canisters had a deeper well and wouldn't mate to other stoves. I also seem to remember a recall about something leaking. So MAYBE (and I could be wrong) they had to change something.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

I wonder if JetBoil changed their canisters. I based what I said off the comments from users a few years back that JetBoil canisters had a deeper well and wouldn't mate to other stoves. I also seem to remember a recall about something leaking. So MAYBE (and I could be wrong) they had to change something.
    I believe that they did change the canisters..... I saw a guy put a Pocket Rocket on a JetBoil canister once, and it did fine.... However, you can't put a MSR canister on a JetBoil stove....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++