WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trail mascot

Images

Default trail mascot

This may seem like a silly question, especially for the UL crowd, but I've heard of some people carrying a little trail mascot, like a rubber duck or something with them on the trail. I'm just curious does anyone really do this? When I was about 14, I went on a summer camp canoe trip and the counselors took a little beanie duck and made a life vest out of closed cell foam. Has anyone taken or seen other hikers with a little critter , or even take a little stone from Springer with them the whole way?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    This may seem like a silly question, especially for the UL crowd, but I've heard of some people carrying a little trail mascot, like a rubber duck or something with them on the trail. I'm just curious does anyone really do this? When I was about 14, I went on a summer camp canoe trip and the counselors took a little beanie duck and made a life vest out of closed cell foam. Has anyone taken or seen other hikers with a little critter , or even take a little stone from Springer with them the whole way?
    If it's important to you to carry a mascot, then by all means, carry one. HYOH, Ashley...then come back to Berks Co. and give us the details!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

I carried a little beanie baby bear with me the whole way on my thru-hike. "Dumptruck" got his trailname because a young relative gave him a little Tonka dumptruck to take on his hike.

It happens more than you might think.

Nowadays, I often carry a larger teddy bear named Dewey on many of my shorter trips. But he's not a mascot. He's a cult of personality!

Just ask Hooch.

If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Anyone lose their mascot on the trail? I found it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I bet he was tickled to see you!
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

I saw that thing, or one like it, on that little boy's gravesite in VA somewhere (he wandered off from school and was found up on the mountain...I don't recall where it was?)

I carried a small stone from Katahdin to Springer. A friend we met along the way carried a pigeon decoy named "Bob"...we called these items "frivilous objects". They made no sense.

We also carried buckeyes (don't remember where we found them?) for good luck...its a southern thing...

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I guess I would carve totems into Trees and Supports in Shelters wherever I go.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    I saw that thing, or one like it, on that little boy's gravesite in VA somewhere (he wandered off from school and was found up on the mountain...I don't recall where it was?)...
    I saw Elmo somewhere in Pennsylvania (Some where between Birch Run and Toms Run Shelters).

The little boy's (Ottie Powell) gravesite in on Bluff Mountain ~780 miles north of Springer. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=6936

I saw Elmo somewhere in Pennsylvania (Some where between Birch Run and Toms Run Shelters).

The little boy's (Ottie Powell) gravesite in on Bluff Mountain ~780 miles north of Springer. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=6936
    Correction: It's not his gravesite, it's a memorial.

Garlic
    Images

The frivolous items are pretty common, I think. When I summitted Katahdin, three out of four of us there had something frivolous, and we were all grown men (so to speak). One guy even had a mask and snorkel, which almost made sense given the weather conditions.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    The frivolous items are pretty common, I think. When I summitted Katahdin, three out of four of us there had something frivolous, and we were all grown men (so to speak). One guy even had a mask and snorkel, which almost made sense given the weather conditions.
    Affirmed.

Images

I'm thinking about taking this guy:

http://tinyurl.com/45752h

The little blue..mouse? Piddles. My boyfriend got the set for me, and Piddles is tiny, like two inches tall. I think it'd be cool to take pictures of Piddles, and me, along the trail. Like Piddles at the approach trail, Piddles at Springer..

Images

you have to click on the picture at the bottom left of the grid of pictures.

By the way, I'm glad I'm not the only goofy one out there.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Saw hikers out there with various items.

I personally did the tradition of carrying the pebble from Springer to Katahdin.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I carried my little teddie bear "Hindsight" on the back on my pack on my 97 thruhike. I just put him under anesthesia to take out some stuffing to lighten him up an ounce or so for my 2009 thruhike. I wouldn't even think of doing it without him!

Images

Last year "Privy Monster" carried assorted sizes of rubber chickens. They started as one on the front of the pack, carried "in case I'm in a hunters sights, he will see the chicken & not shoot me" & slowly grew to, last time I saw him: 5, with one about 2" long.

I suppose that at least the first one technically isn't frivolous, being used as a "safety device".
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

in a mail drop my mom sent a bunch of old easter candy that she had found, and one piece had a egg wearing pants and a top hat, making a really ****ed up face, he's been on my pack ever since
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    in a mail drop my mom sent a bunch of old easter candy that she had found, and one piece had a egg wearing pants and a top hat, making a really ****ed up face, he's been on my pack ever since
    yes he is a cute little bugger!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Images

I saw several rubber chickens, and a plastic samurai sword. But the one that really made me laugh was this guy who was going pretty light except for the full sized machette, and cricket bat that were strapped to his pack. Oh yeah, and his "pebble" from springer weighed 7 pounds! Those three items probably doubled his pack weight.

Who was it carried that life-sized cardboard cutout of Cindy Crawford?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++