WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    OK, just don't want to buy an older one if a new one is coming out.
    Just contact the GMC and ask if a new one is coming out soon, before you buy. They're an outstanding trail club.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Bob McCaw, the editor of the guide and admin over at trailplace dot com says there will be a 2009 edition. He said its going to printers in about a week and usually takes 4-6 weeks for it to hit shelves. I imagine there will be something about it on the GMC website in the run up to it being available.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Low Impact View Post
    I End-2-Ended the LT in 07. I have to disagree with DEADEYE - I saw 35 degree temps south of Mansfield on my hike in August. Cold temps are certainly possible - especially above 4,000 ft. I'm sure you know this.

I would grab BOTH the Long Trail Guide, and the End-2-Enders Guide. LTG will give you trail/shelter descriptions and the E2E will give you town/lodging info. You don't need an actual MAP on the LT more than you would have on the AT. It's more personal preference.

Again, I have to disagree with DEADEYE. Even in the dog-days of Summer, north of the Maine junction - I camped pretty much alone at a shelter every night. Space WAS NOT a problem. Nothing like the AT in March or April.

Rutland to Canada is an awesome section. North of Brandon Gap - the trail slowly starts to get rugged. Think the Whites in terms of difficulty and weather. Allow time. It's gorgeous. Enjoy it.

Either way - you're going to have a stellar time. If I had to choose between N. Vermont or the 100 Mile, **** - I'd be hard pressed. Both are beautiful, rugged, and remote.
    Hey Kirby! I agree with Low Impact on all above accounts. I did the LT in '06 and had a few shivery nights (I get cold easily though). I only hit space issues while on the AT part, and then one night when it was pouring rain and a camp group got flooded out of their tarps. Have a great time...and maybe I'll see you out there!

Images

I knew you'd be back to Vermont, even though you didn't enjoy it on your thru. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with it this time Kirby. I'll be sectioning it all summer long hoping to finish it by the fall, maybe see you out there. Good luck!

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

I have started a non-commercial web site containing podcasts about the Long Trail and the programs are presented for informational purposes only. Over time I plan to add content as time and opportunity permits. Suggestions are welcome.

The following 18-minute podcast (recorded in 2008) addresses many of the common questions about thru hiking the trail and hopefully it will be helpful:

www.longtrailpodcast.com

longtrailpodcast_005 Planning a Summer Thru Hike.mp3
    "Planning a Summer (early June to mid-October) Thru Hike of the Long Trail: Covers topics such as when to go, what direction to hike, equipment, staying in shelters or camping out, hikng with your dog, and more."

In addition to the printed E to E guide, there is a new site going up here... www.longtrailhiking.info that is being done in conjunction with the Green Mountain Club.

At the moment, it is 85% finished with the first 60 miles or so of the online E to E guide published. Hope to have it all done shortly. I have been hampered with computer issues last 5-6 days.

The site is still "beta" but I am publishing the URL for anyone who wants to check it out while I am still working on it.

Besides a comprehensive E to E guide there are also social networking features that I hope people will take advantage of. That part of the site is called the "Hikers Network". You can post profiles, start groups, post your photos and videos, blog, trail journal, etc.

Each part of the E to E guide that goes online will be printable.

Good luck.

Kirby, I'm pleased that you've apparently changed your mind about VT after your less-than-positive experience there last year on your thruhike. Northern Vermont is awesome; I think you'll enjoy.

I know there are many shelter naysayers but if you have a chance, spend a night at Butler Lodge on the west slope of Mansfield. The sunset views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks are fabulous.

By starting August 1, I don't think the bugs will be as bad as mid-summer but I suppose it depends on the year.

i'm planning starting nobo on july 1st. i've never been to vt. will i need a fleece jacket; how cold does it get in july, and how are the bugs at this time?

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlore View Post
    i'm planning starting nobo on july 1st. i've never been to vt. will i need a fleece jacket; how cold does it get in july, and how are the bugs at this time?
    In the late evening at the higher elevations of the northern portion it tends to get chilly once your activity level is low. I used only a short sleeved shirt and a wind shirt on the entire hike in August and it was borderline a couple of times. Once on the trail and moving that was plenty. Throwing on a rain jacket will normally be enough, but a light fleece woul be helpful if your comfort level is on the warm side. Early in July there will still be some bugs, but toward the end of your hike they should be minimal. It looks like my plans may change to heading NOBO at the very end of June this year, so I may see you on the trail.

Should I experience any problems if taking a fleece, 35* bag, and some light polypro top/bottom long underwear mid-June?

Journal Entries
    Images

Bivy bag.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

i'm planning a end to end starting july 1st. i'm wondering if the bugs will still be bad enough for me to pack my tent. i was planning on staying in shelters, but bring in my tarp too, just in case a shelter is full. any suggestions?

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlore View Post
    i'm planning a end to end starting july 1st. i'm wondering if the bugs will still be bad enough for me to pack my tent. i was planning on staying in shelters, but bring in my tarp too, just in case a shelter is full. any suggestions?
    I'm planning on starting just one day before you and expect several bug types to still be active, at least through the first two weeks in July. I'm carrying a bivy w/mesh and a tarp.

Images

No matter what, you should ALWAYS have an alternate shelter with you, as relying on there being room in a shelter is irresponsible.

I say that with respect.

Images

Just talked with the folks at the GMC, the 2009 E2E guide is now available for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I'm planning on starting just one day before you and expect several bug types to still be active, at least through the first two weeks in July. I'm carrying a bivy w/mesh and a tarp.

quoddy: my plans have changed, i will be in williamstown on the 30th as well. i'm taking the bus from camden nj, and it will be in town at 2pm. maybe i'll see ya.

Images

Default Lt 2009

I am considering doing a long section of the LT in July as well. For gear, depending on this summer's forecast I recommend extra water container(s). Summer of 2007 was very dry and water was scarce. Last summer this was not a problem.

There ARE bugs on the trail esp blackflies, through late august in some areas in my experience!
    "Dreamt last night I was climbing mountains
    Way beyond love’s fierce hold..."

Images

Looks like I might be doing a E2E possibly now, starting around the last week of July most likely, just waiting on the approval for time off from the big boss...got my fingers crossed!!

i'll be starting my e2e on july 13ish

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Not really sure what one needs for a LT section. I might hike Rutland to the border this summer if I decide against another foray into the 100 mile wilderness, although I'd like to climb Katahdin once more before I leave for college.
    Same gear you'd use anywhere else in the Northeast, including the Hundred Mile Wilderness, just less food.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++