WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default sleeping bag--some help, please

Hi,

Here goes my first post here--

I am going to be doing a lot of hiking near the coast in Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia this summer. Would I be better off with a down bag or a synthetic bag since there is bound to be rain and moisture? Light is better but I would rather not spend an awful lot. The ones I have in mind are the WM Highlite (may not be warm enough for me), MH UltraLamina 15, Phantom 15. I am going to be using a Contrail tent and going out for 5-7 day hikes.

Thanks for any advice, especially from people who have used these bags.

My WM Caribou (35 degree rating) has some sort of wonder fabric that sheds condensation and water splashes really well without wetting thru. I love this bag...big enough for me (in long lenght), full zipper, 35 degree rating, light at about 1.5 lbs. Works great in my Contrail in warmer months. Good luck with your search and welcome!

It is not that hard keeping a down bag dry. A good down bag is cheap in the long run, due to very long life. Go with the down.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the above. Go with the down. I had the same worries when I moved to the Pacific Northwest and after four years, never got my synthetic bag wet. I kicked myself for waiting so long to switch to down. Be careful in site selection--a well-drained site will give you no problems.

I'm also a Contrail user, and had absolutely no problems keeping dry on the AT last year in an awfully wet year. I used the Phantom 45 during the summer and loved that, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

down is the way.

Images

Down
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Move up to down..30F good for summer in NScotia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cjdesign22 View Post
    I own a Highlite and probably have about 100 nights in it. If you're worried about cool weather I do not recommend this bag. WM makes good stuff, but the sewn-through construction on the Highlite means you have 0" loft along some of the seams. No insulation, IOW. You can lose a lot of heat there.

Take a look at the Summerlite. Only 3oz more weight but you get regular baffles plus 25% more down than the Highlite.

Hi,

Here goes my first post here--

I am going to be doing a lot of hiking near the coast in Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia this summer. Would I be better off with a down bag or a synthetic bag since there is bound to be rain and moisture? Light is better but I would rather not spend an awful lot. The ones I have in mind are the WM Highlite (may not be warm enough for me), MH UltraLamina 15, Phantom 15. I am going to be using a Contrail tent and going out for 5-7 day hikes.

Hope you have a great summer. Maybe I'll see you on the Fundy Footpath.

It can get cold and damp along the coast, but a decent bag and shelter will allow you to camp on the beach rather than escape to the hills. It doesn't get colder than 35F, but it can be a chilling damp. A quality fill down bag, like 750fill or better, might not only be lighter but might also dry out faster. There is usually plenty of opportunity to dry bags out once damp, unless you get stuck in a fog bank for a week, which can happen, though rare.

Just don't sleep on the beach where a rogue wave might wash up. Been there.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Default great place

I bicycle camped around Cape Bretton once and loved it. Never too cold, did get several days of Very Heavy rain. Bread, and local beer and very cheap lobster rolls the best. On a bike of course I was on paved roads and everyone always inviting me in for tea. Just the nicest people. I wish you a great journey. I had a tent and a 20 degree bag and was fine.

Tom

v

Thanks so much for all your input, especially to the Maritimers!!, very helpful comments!--definitely going on the Fundy footpath.

OK, I'm going with down! If I can ask for some more feedback, which bag?? I tend to sleep cold, but the Western Mountaineering bags are so expensive--does anyone use the MH Phantom 15? It's almost as light, and a lot less expensive on sale.

I'm just getting back to backpacking after a very long time away from it, so would like to not go crazy (with money) when buying gear.

campmor.com Campmor brand 20 degree down bag. Very good value, warm 30 degree bag, IMO. Low cost low weight, good overall choice if money is concern.

Images

The one thing about a WM bag is that it will last for a long, long time. The quality is head and shoulders above all other bags I have used. Just a thought.

When up in Cape Bretton, make sure to get up to Meat Cove.

I almost went to Meat Cove once. It used to be quite isolated, but no longer so.
    If you do go there don't ask about inbreeding. All that's long since past.
    Sorry I even brought it up, but it is an interesting bit of history.

Typically the coldest temperature you would get along the coast any given year is 45F.
    The extreme over the past 50 years would be 35F. Newfoundland is a different story.

Make sure you have clothing suitable for cold find and drissle, but most days are nice.
    Average temperature in July/August is a low of 55F at 5am and a high of 72F in the afternoon.

A 30F bag should be plenty, especially with a tent.

My feeling on Down is if you go down you should go 750fill or better.
    I wouldn't get 550 fill if I could get a good synthetic at the same price. 650 maybe.

I don't have a summer bag.
    If I got one it would be something like the Western Mountaineering MegaLite...
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com...2&ContentId=19

I like the 12oz fill and 12oz of shell. I don't like less fill than shell.
    I don't like under 50% fill weight, and if under 24oz I would go quilt for sure.
    I also like the way they have twice the thickness on top.
    I would like to know if you could use it upside down on warmer nights.
    I also like centre zip designs, and quilts for supper. Not sure I like the sew-through type.

I've used a 1.5 pound blanket and 0.5 pound nylon sheet in summer.
    Good for 55F I think, but its sketchy if you want to be warm on the beach.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to choose between the Caribou and the Versalite, so I guess I will go with Western Mountaineering so I don't have to second-guess my decision.

And I looked up Meat Cove (what a name)--cool place.

appreciate all the input!

Thanks everyone! I'm going to choose between the Caribou and the Versalite, so I guess I will go with Western Mountaineering so I don't have to second-guess my decision.

And I looked up Meat Cove (what a name)--cool place.

appreciate all the input!
    WM has never had a neg on any board.Great pick.

Hey Slow, something we agree on...
    The only "negative" I have come across is about the size, IE occasionally too small/tight , but the WM specs are correct and they do make wider bags, so choose carefully.
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Hey Slow, something we agree on...
    The only "negative" I have come across is about the size, IE occasionally too small/tight , but the WM specs are correct and they do make wider bags, so choose carefully.
    Franco
    Never looked at agree on.. just stated a fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++