WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Being sarcastic: of course, it disappears. The next time they go out to camp, all the trash from last trip is gone! Magic!

Thanks to you maintainers for putting up with it and for cleaning it up, as well as any hikers that help out. I wish someone would see what the trashers are doing AT THAT TIME and call them on it.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I hike, I hang, I alky stove, that's what I do!!
    Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    The campsite up at Leroy Smith was trashed again. This time I found 30+ feces filled baby wipes all over the campsite. Don't people realize that baby wipes are not toilet paper and are made out of synthetic fibers that do not break down easily? The wipes were not at least buried or put under rocks. The wipes were strewn where the tents are placed and on top of the ferns. And all of this goes into your water at the spring. It was disappointing that they were so close to the privy but could not be bothered to put it in there.
    Their trash of cans and plastics were left out too.

Do people think that the garbage magically disappears?
    Crash.....

Thanks for maintaining this area. I appreciate it!! I plan on sectioning from Little Gap to DWG in late October. Any idea how those springs are doing this late in the season and with the lack of rainfall this year?

Thanks again for all your work......

SW
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks".
    John Muir

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Springs

Spring #3 is always running. Spring 1 rarely runs & #2 only after heavy rain this time of year. Its just way, way down the hill so bring extra containers. There's no water between Leroy and Kirkridge except if you go to the motel or walk into Wind Gap.
    Its a nice little shelter and a good campsite.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

I hike, I hang, I alky stove, that's what I do!!
    Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Spring #3 is always running. Spring 1 rarely runs & #2 only after heavy rain this time of year. Its just way, way down the hill so bring extra containers. There's no water between Leroy and Kirkridge except if you go to the motel or walk into Wind Gap.
    Its a nice little shelter and a good campsite.
    Thanks for the info, Crash!
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks".
    John Muir

Images

Been awhile since i've rolled thro this section, but leaving tomorrow for a weekend and will be passing through .. how's the water at the shelter here in mid march? I remember when i last passed thro i stayed at the campsite up off the trail and it was very well maintained ... human's will sadly be humans ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Default condition

I was up there late last week and the tent site was underwater.
    Just go back farther for dry ground. The lean-to was in its usual great condition. Water was plentiful. Spring 1 is run off water so boil or filter it.

What night are you going up?

Images

leaving tomorrow evening, i'll either start in little gap, or smith gap ... but i would bet on it being tomorrow evening i'll be around that area .... i'm a tenter, so just look for the carbon reflex ... tall guy, that'll be me ... if you're up that way and need a hand with anything just holla. doing more of a gear shakedown than putting on miles ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

I just got called into work for midnight shift so I can't make it up there tonight.
    Have fun.

If anyone wants the 'shortcut' up to Leroy, Rte. 33 to Rte. 512 SOUTH. 2nd traffic light make a right (approx. 3 1/2 miles from Rte. 33) then another right and take it all the way to the base of the mtn. A left then a quick right into Gamelands parking lot. Take the blue trail 3/4 mile up the hill.

Images

Went up Katellen to Leeroy today. First time there and I was thoroughly impressed.

I was really surprised with the tenting area! Looks like a happening place!

Its a great spot to tent & hammock.

Sent from my iPod touch.

I was up at kirkridge a few weekends ago it was mighty cold but very nice. This is one of my favorite spots to frequent since its close to where I live. Someone had took it upon themselves to build a fire pit inside of the overhang of the shelter, which I did use since it was ten degrees out overnight even though I didn't really approve of it. I did a little self motivated maintenance and picked up garbage, disassembled the impromptu fire pit and shoveled out the permanent fire pit outside of the shelter to try and discourage people from building their own. I started to sweep out the privy, but it was in such a horrid condition that I had to leave the job unfinished. It is almost to the point of overflowing and will need to be re-dug before the end of this coming season. Im sure the local trail maintainers are aware of this already but if anyone knows the persons in charge of this It would be nice if they let them know. Nelson overlook has a great view as always but I noticed no trespassing signs as you walk up the hill toward the back road leading to the religious retreat. My guess is there must have been some incident to prompt the posting of these signs because they definitely weren't there last season. All in all I feel I had a productive trip there

Leroy A Smith shelter.jpgShelter was in nice shape yesterday, fire pit has a bunch of sprawl and it looks like someone tried to remove a bunch of brush using fire or lost control of the fire a bit in the front. I did see three young men headed up to the shelter on my way out. Either locals using it as a meeting point or perhaps young caretakers. Three springs well marked and The last one did have water, i did not check the first two as I was on the way to the car and still had way more water than I needed. As a tall person it looked like the shelter was a bit on the short side.

AMC put a new roof on Leroy Smith Dec. 27. I'm sorry I couldn't make it up for the work party. I was up there today Jan. 4th. The tree butting up behind the shelter was finally cut down. There are new big rocks around the fireplace. I can't wait to camp up there this month.

And two sets of hooks were installed to make hanging a tarp across easier.

Hey Crash,

I was planning on heading up there this Friday night but won't get up there till close to dark. What are the names of the streets that I would be turning onto off RTE 512 south. Can't seem to find the parking lot on the map

Thanks

Type in Leroy Smith Shelter in Google maps and the parking lot will show up for the Katellan trail up to the shelter. When I went to this parking lot I turned off E. Mountain Road from Route 512. Then you have to make another right on Clearfield Road (I don't recall if that street was well marked or not), you come to a dead-end and then make a left and the parking lot is almost immediately on your right. Have a nice trip!

Found it, thank you!

Do I need to worry about my car for the weekend there? Is it usually a safe place?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyRiverKayakMan View Post
    Found it, thank you!

Do I need to worry about my car for the weekend there? Is it usually a safe place?
    Not sure. I was getting dropped off there and hiked back to my car parked at DWG. It's a pretty secluded spot - not sure if that's good or bad. I guess I would just take the normal precautions that people here recommend, leaving no valuables visible etc. etc.

The Katellen lot is ok. Theres a house across the street and other houses close to it.

The third spring always flows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++