WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    May you live all the days of your Life - J. Swift

Default Water Filter....leave it now or send it home later

Alright, as my start date rapidly approaches (15 days from now!!) I'm second, third and fourth thinking my water filter. I've had an MSR miniworks for a while and I really like it, but every thru hiker I know is telling me the same thing
    "You can start with it, but I promise you'll send it home sooner or later"

That said...why wouldn't I just get ahead of the game and not even bring it to start with? I'm a self-professed "over treater" and normally filter and treat with Aqua Mira (I was a wilderness camp counselor for a long time and had afew campers get giardia...after taking care of these kids I vowed to try really hard to never get it myself!) So thinking about ditching the miniworks is a big step for me. That said, What treatment would you use without having a filter? (Not treating is Not an option...gotta draw the line) I like Aqua Mira, but is there something better? I've heard good things about PolarPure, but I've recently read that it's no longer sold in the great state of NC (something about it being broken down to make crystal meth) Also, any good tricks or tips in 'straining' out unfiltered water would be lovely

Your thoughts and ideas are, as always, appreciated!

Images

Send it home later. At least you will have made the decision for yourself.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

whatever you choose, adopt good overall hygiene habits. will do as much or more for staying healthy.

I am running into the same problem myself. I think I will bring it mine and try it out for a few weeks while checking out what other hikers are doing. I doubt I carry it the whole way, but whatever. I am interested in what everyone else will say.

Images

i thru-hiked in 07 with just aqua mira and when the drought hit the south hard
    i was wishing , preying to god that the 20-30 min. wait time didn't exsist .
    if i hit the trail again it will be with ULA's Amigo Pro 45 $ it's lite and fast
    well that's my 2 cents

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yep you can always send it home later. But we went with Aqua mira, by son wanted to use a filter later on (he didn't want to wait anymore for treatment), it started clogging on him in NH and then it broke, went back to Aqua Mira for ME.

We have a steri pen now, like to see how that works.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I started with mine and ended up sending it home as well. I also went with the Aqua Mira and loved it. You may one or twice need to use a bandana or something to filter a source that has any leaves, etc...

Garlic
    Images

I use Aquamira sparingly, only if I can't see the water source. I drink deeply and tank up from good springs when I find them, treat with AM otherwise. If I didn't feel comfortable drinking spring water and if I treated everything, I don't think I'd use AM. That seems like a lot of chemical use. In that case, I'd probably use a gravity filter. They have no moving parts to break, which is part of why you're hearing you'll be sending home the filter. Moving parts tend to break after a couple months.

I have heard tell of some hikers who develop thyroid problems from too much iodine. I haven't heard of any direct health issues with AM, so I use it, but again, very sparingly. I used about 1/4 bottle on my AT thru last year, but it was a wet year.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Default water filter to clean-up my mud puddle water.

Quote Originally Posted by Live the Journey View Post
    Alright, as my start date rapidly approaches (15 days from now!!) I'm second, third and fourth thinking my water filter. I've had an MSR miniworks for a while and I really like it, but every thru hiker I know is telling me the same thing "You can start with it, but I promise you'll send it home sooner or later"
    I used Aqua Mira ONLY for 4 years. Last Fall I was hiking in NC which is having a drought. One day the only water I had was from a nasty mud puddle. A good sumaratan (good guy) loaned me his water filter to clean-up my mud puddle water. A filter is great to have during droughts.
    Crazy Al

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Use what makes you comfortable. I'll be using a Miniworks on my hike.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

We started with a MSR filter and switched to a Steripen with a prefilter that fits a Nalgene and carried Aqua Mira as a backup if needed. We were glad to switch, but when we had the filter we hit one source that was nothing but a mosquito hole we had to dig out to let the water seep in. We were glad to have the filter then. Agree with others, take what you have and make adjustments as you gain experience. You'll learn to identify some places where you'll be fine drinking right from the source and others you'll feel better treating in some way. My partner chased a water snake out of a water hole in Pine Swamp and we worked around a frog and a bunch of water spiders in one almost dry spring box. You just work with what you have. Enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

I've been very happy with my water bottle filter -- the filter's right in the bottle, just scoop and drink. Then Aqua Mira for really questionable stuff and cooking water.

Images

I've heard good things about PolarPure, but I've recently read that it's no longer sold in the great state of NC (something about it being broken down to make crystal meth)
    You can still get it in NC, but your outfitters has to order it for you. They cannot carry it on store shelves. I purchased two bottles online through REI and they shipped to the store for my pickup.

Another great way to get Polar Pure in NC to go on the Uwharrie Trail to a tiny little water seep and see if you can find my first bottle of Polar Pure that I'm pretty sure I left there. (Which is why I had to buy the second bottle.)

Also, any good tricks or tips in 'straining' out unfiltered water would be lovely
    Put your bandanna over the top of your bottle. Pour your water into your bottle through your bandanna. It gets most of the nasty floaties. If you need something to transport the water into your bottle, try your cookpot. Provided you boil water in that pot later, you will sterilize it. No need to bring extra equipment.

Images

polar pure works fine for me.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Al View Post
    A good sumaratan (good guy)
    Spelling czar says: Samaritan.

Handy link for reprobate spellers like me: http://dictionary.reference.com
    I walk the line.

Quote Originally Posted by High Life View Post
    i thru-hiked in 07 with just aqua mira and when the drought hit the south hard
    i was wishing , preying to god that the 20-30 min. wait time didn't exsist .
    if i hit the trail again it will be with ULA's Amigo Pro 45 $ it's lite and fast
    well that's my 2 cents
    So I just got the amigo pro. Just so ya'll know it's a little different in real life. It takes me 3min to filter 1L and 7min to filter 2L consecutively. It also weighs 11.5oz after the filter gets wet and including the stuff sack. A little different than what is advertised, but I'm still planning on taking mine.

Camp Counselors should know better. If you have a filter use it.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    Camp Counselors should know better. If you have a filter use it.
    Long distance hikers DO know better. If you have a filter, leave it at home.

Default water filter

definitely bring the waterfilter. If you really can't handle the one extra pound you can always send it home later.

However, with a water filter you can get rid of the "crud" that so often is in water, and make water taste better. I know iodine tablets give an unpleasant taste.

I consider this a better safe than sorry issue. With filtering, water is safe and clean and there i so waiting involved (other than to pump). Iodine and Aquimira tablets I believe require you to wait 20+ minutes before drinking.

Don't know bout you guys, but when I am thirsty I don't want to wait for my water!!

David

I don't own own, but if I did I would bring it for sure, then decide later.

The AT would be the perfect test to see if it was worth keeping, I think.

I wouldn't mail it home if I decided not to use it. I would trade it or give it away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++