WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking with a new knee

I'm 3 months post-op and still the d@#m thing is stiff. Has anyone gotten a new knee and how was the hiking afterwards? Any advise on getting the old bones back to working order is welcome.

thanks
    Just a trail grunt in Pennsyl-tucky

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have not had one, but you might want to check with a sports MD (who are more athletically minded) to see what you can do to get yourself hiker ready. My mom had hers done and it took forever for her to regain mobility. But others I've heard have done fine with it. Hope you can get out there soon!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by partly cloudy View Post
    I'm 3 months post-op and still the d@#m thing is stiff. Has anyone gotten a new knee and how was the hiking afterwards? Any advise on getting the old bones back to working order is welcome.

thanks

Mmm - welcome to the zoo. I was assimilated on Nov 17, 2008. Progress is slow - incremental, even - but it is happening. Jan 2009 I walked 39 miles (total), in Feb it was 101. This month - it was 32 miles last week. The walking has been varied - most on bike paths (7 miles today), some on trails (9.5 miles yesterday, 4 miles on Fri). The knee is still stiff, but it gets better after the first quarter mile. Intention is to do long hike this summer. But I can't start till mid-May. Probably a good thing.

Advice? is worth what you pay for it, but I'd say don't get in a hurry. But don' tbaby it too much either. Mine ALWAYS feels better after exercise/walking - in spite of the low level pain that still happens sometimes.

Anyway, good luck. If you have more questions, I'll happily answer.

Images

Swamp Fox got a new knee in 2005. He has done a bunch of hiking since then. I hiked the JMT with him in 2007. He is on the AT right now. He's not the fastest hiker on the Trail, but he keeps on keepin' on. It can be done.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Garlic
    Images

Same thing with my friend Saunter. Six months after his new knee, he put a few hundred miles on the CDT, and has been increasing his yearly mileage since then. Best of luck.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

for those of you who have had replacements, do you know which kind you got?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Hike smarter, not harder.

Just keep up the rehab.

My wife got a new knee in 2005 and 9 months later we did a 3 day weekend hike up Mt Washington. She did great going up but we decided not to risk it going down Tuckermans Ravine. She told me that the physical therapy is the key to recovery and she worked very hard through all the pain and it has paid off.

In August 2001 at the age of 43, I underwent surgery for total knee replacement of my right knee. I enjoyed the procedure and rehab so much, I had a total TKR of my left knee in December of the same year. BTW - I got a DePuy knee - state of the art in 2001. There have been vast improvements in technology and surgical techniques since my TKRs.

By spring of 2002 I was taking my scout troop walking through the woods in the hills of western PA. I also started riding a bike. It was along the C&O canal section around Harper's Ferry where my daughter and I met up with 2 AT hikers in 2004 and assisted one in carrying his pack because he had injured his knee... Swamp Fox and Rocky. Rocky has since had one TKR and continues hiking.

I was rarin' to go 6 weeks after surgery, the relief in the joint was immediate. But the pain in the ITB persisted for almost a year until it finally settled down. My ortho cleared me to go back to fencing after a few months, and I added bicycling and hiking to my hobbies.

Partly cloudy - Cycling and swimming helped greatly with improving my range of motion and stiffness. Did any of your outpatient PT involve pool exercises? My right knee PT did, but my husband's company changed health care HMO providers between surgeries and the left one didn't. I noticed a difference in recovery times, but that may be due to the extent of the bone disease/degeneration in my left leg.

Quote Originally Posted by sixhusbands View Post
    My wife got a new knee in 2005 and 9 months later we did a 3 day weekend hike up Mt Washington. She did great going up but we decided not to risk it going down Tuckermans Ravine. She told me that the physical therapy is the key to recovery and she worked very hard through all the pain and it has paid off.
    Yes, I'd agree that hard work in PT does pay off. The surgery is a piece of cake, but PT... well, that's a whole 'nother ball game. PT was one of the worst times in my life (couldn't tolerate the pain meds -- didn't like having hallucinations).

So glad to hear that she's doing well.

Judy

What a great responce in a short time.

I have done NO pool therapy, not even mentioned. Strictly excercising at PT and home. 10 weeks post-op and I could finally work a bike. I had to get " manipulated" because of scar tissue on my tendons. Since then, small incremmental gains, but still gaining.

I did get an Depuy knee and the surgery went fine, no pain until I started to work it. I go to PT 3 times a week, but still a long road.

I live in No. western Pa. with small hills, nothing like Mt Washington. I'm relunctant to even go on the level ground behind the house. A good chuck hole will put me down.

I want to thank all of you for the uplifting responces. It maybe a long trail but the rewards will be sweet.

iso loco

Your recovery is inspirational. 39 miles, 2 months post-op. Then 101 in 3 months. Just fantastic. And at 69, 12 years older than me. All I can hope for is to do half of your gains in twice the time.

Quote Originally Posted by partly cloudy View Post
    iso loco

Your recovery is inspirational. 39 miles, 2 months post-op. Then 101 in 3 months. Just fantastic. And at 69, 12 years older than me. All I can hope for is to do half of your gains in twice the time.
    PC - you can do it. Some additional info - the doc didn't cement the knee - just let it graft into the bone. That sucker ain't ever gonna come out. But he kept me on a walker for the first 30 days.

When I got off the walker things got "interesting". That's when the ITB pain started. Had that for the next 2 months and it still flares up once in a while. Lots of massage and stretching exercises helped. So did the PT.

But I think the big thing was that I started walking ASAP and haven't stopped. We walk every day (except in snow/ice). I keep gradually increasing the distance - testing, testing. Started with one mile, then 2 in Jan. Increased to 4 in Feb and 7 by 1 Mar. Now up to 9.5 max. But not the same distance every day - I alternate between my max distance 1 day and then 2-3 days of shorter walks (4-7 miles right now).

I've got 2 months to get to 20 max. I expect to make it. Hmmm - that's important - I've expected all along to be able to do a long hike this summer. It's what drives me.

It's just like training for a thruhike - you start with short distance/light weight and work up to longer distance/heavier weight gradually until you're close to being ready for the trail. It doesn't always work, but thats the ideal way to train.

One more thing - I won't be headed for the AT this year. There are other, better trails for testing a new knee. The AT could be classed as "destructive testing" if you do it too soon. So I'll be going someplace else to start.

I wish you the best - dunno about you but this has GOT to be better than what I had 4-5 months ago. Again - if you have questions, fire away. I'll try to answer - but I don't have "all" the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by oso loco View Post
    When I got off the walker things got "interesting". That's when the ITB pain started. Had that for the next 2 months and it still flares up once in a while. Lots of massage and stretching exercises helped. So did the PT.

I wish you the best - dunno about you but this has GOT to be better than what I had 4-5 months ago. Again - if you have questions, fire away. I'll try to answer - but I don't have "all" the answers.
    +1 - The ITB pain was the worst of it... didn't go away for a whole year after the TKRs. Was it worth it? YES. I would have ended up in a wheelchair by age 45. No more cane, crutches, pain or falling down due to instability. Hard to believe it's been 7 1/2 years since the first TKR. Reminds me I need to call the ortho for my annual follow-up x-rays and exam.

As with oso loco, if you have any questions, just ask.

Thanks again guys, you've gave me something to look forward to.

Most of my hiking now is maintenance hikes. I might only go 5 miles , but it takes all day. I clear the trail, work, hike, work, hike. If I get to do any long hiking, it's away from here and not on the NCT. I have done about 200 miles on the AT not only to enjoy hiking but also to set my standards for the NCT. The AT maintenance crews have taught me allot just by example. Couldn't find a better crew to follow.

Going on my first woods walk today, 1/2 to 1 mile, no trail.

Can't speak personally, but my Dad has both knees replaced, one full and one partial. He walks about 3 miles a day and he's 76 years old. No pain, he says just take it easy and slow. He was pretty much totally laid up before the surgery, now he's a spring chicken. I know 3 miles doesn't sound like a lot, but to see him before and after is pretty cool.

anyone who undergo post operation should take time to rest and wait until your body feels better.

Images

Cimarron got a hip replacement a couple of years ago at age 86 just so he could attempt an AT thruhike this year.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

++ New Posts ++