WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default crap! bug netting dilema help!!!

well i had my eyes all set on the rei bug hut 2 for my shelter. i dilly dallied around and now it's been made unavailable. i asked rei online help and they said 'well we don't have it on order but it should be made available again sometime'...

any suggestions??? please don't bother typing "get a tarptent". i'm not interested in a single wall design right now

these are the features i really liked about the bug hut 2

-free standing, poles included - i don't use trecking poles
    -bathtub/nylon floor - i won't use floorless or just net bottom
    -roomy 48x82 with room to sit up -won't use those ones that just cover your torso and make you use your sleeping bag for your feet

i'm sad about this help!
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

The REI stores in Santa Monica and Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. have the bug hut in stock. Rancho Cucamonga (909) 646-8360
    Santa Monica (310) 458-4370
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    The REI stores in Santa Monica and Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. have the bug hut in stock. Rancho Cucamonga (909) 646-8360
    Santa Monica (310) 458-4370
    Good Luck
    Another old guy to the rescue!!!!!! LOL

Images

not quite. there was some communication issues. still searching
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

May you live all the days of your Life - J. Swift

REI considers the bug hut 1 and 2 a seasonal item...they usually stop getting them in around October and start getting them back in around now.
    The bigger stores that had a bigger # to start will be the ones that had them all winter, but soon they'll all have them back again. Not to worry!

Images

nooooo they just took it off the website yesterday!!! the gear gods curse me

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If you had the bug hut, what were you planning to bring to keep the rain off of you? You can't count on always having shelter space available. I'd suggest just finding a nice, light freestanding tent. Lots of people like the Big Agnes Seedhouse series or the MSR Hubba (or Hubba Hubba). Then you can just tent when it's buggy (I tented from NJ through VT on my long mid-summer section). If you want something for use in shelters, then something like the A16 Bug Bivy would be fine.

And don't knock single wall tents. My Tarptent Squall is terrific, and having gone over to single-wall, non-free-standing shelters, I will never go back to heavy tents again.

Images

i simply said they're not for me. i'm not counting on it to keep rain off me. i'll be using an fly i already own for rain protection if need be...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i simply said they're not for me. i'm not counting on it to keep rain off me. i'll be using an fly i already own for rain protection if need be...
    I like your choice. The bug hut with a tarp makes a very versatile shelter system.

EDIT: If you're ever interested in a more form fitting rain fly, there was a post here on WB back a year or two ago about someone who found a rain fly for a tent manufactured in Europe that pretty much exactly fit the Bug Hut II. I can't remember the name, but some searching might yield a result.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-09-2009 at 11:44.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I like your choice. The bug hut with a tarp makes a very versatile shelter system.
    Agreed. . . with as much as I know about that system. If it keeps the rain out, the bugs off, and you're comfortable carrying it. . . then it's the right system for you. . . .

++ New Posts ++