WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Here, this is a gift for backpacking ...

At some point, we've all had someone give us a well intentioned gift for backpacking that ended up being amusing, to say the least. What are some gifts that folks have given you for your backpacking where the gift was just "all wrong"?

Example: Mom gave me a paper lunch sack filled with twigs so that I'd have some kindling. Not to be outdone, Dad bought me waders for stream crossings.

I was given one of those 6 pound pop up chairs.
    Actually I think I got two, just in case I bumped into a friend I suppose.

Journal Entries
    Images

A Glock entrenching tool.

Part of me thinks it could come in handy someday.

Garlic
    Images

One of those hand crank radio/flashlight/emergency flashing beacon things. Horrible thing.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

2010 complete

1981 a police billy club for my protection from my brother the cop
    recently, a bear bell from a concerned friend

Images

Back in the mid-70's, when I was MUCH younger and stronger, and very new to backpacking, my Mom bought me a Bernzomatic "backpacking" stove and lantern. Heavy as the dickens, and not very good in winter (they ran on pure butane)...but she meant well, God bless her!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

I was given rather weighty survival rations brick as an xmas gift intended to bring along on my upcoming thru hike as emergency "backup"...I swear the there's gurth to that thing. I could see it being a weapon in the game Clue.

On my thru hike, I got one care package from my parents.

I am in a small town in Vermont, which I had picked out from the data book as a mail stop before I started hiking. This town consisted of a general store, a gas station, and a post office; all in the same building. To say the least... it was a very small town in the middle of nowhere.

I get to town and the postmaster is happy to see me and hands me a medium size box. I open it to find a very nice note that says...... 'Was reading a story about the Appalachain Trail and that candy bars become a staple of a hiker's diet. Hope you enjoy the snacks. Love, Mom'.

In the box is not one, not two, but 10 - 6 packs of King size snickers bars. 120+ ounces of candy bars.

There were a lot of happy hikers on the trail that day.

When I was a teenager (30+ years ago) , a family member bought me a used (two burner) Coleman camp stove that they had found at a rummage sale or auction. They said they bought it for me to use when I went camping and hiking. They meant well.

Those old Coleman stoves were made out of a pretty heavy steel--and they burned a fairly large amount of fuel. That stove was much better suited to car camping than backpacking. I THINK that it was a version of the Coleman 413 series of camp stoves.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

I mentioned wanting to try to do some sketching while hiking so my daughter's (now ex) boyfriend gave me a thick heavy professional style spiral bound sketch pad, a whole package of sketch pencils and a package of erasers. I tore some of the pages out of the book and took one pencil and one eraser. Never used them.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    One of those hand crank radio/flashlight/emergency flashing beacon things. Horrible thing.

Are we brothers!!!! My mom got ethan and i one of those for christmas. Ethan loves the siren sound that thing makes.

A 6lb 30deg SwissGear sleeping bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by catfishrivers View Post
    I was given rather weighty survival rations brick as an xmas gift intended to bring along on my upcoming thru hike as emergency "backup"...I swear the there's gurth to that thing. I could see it being a weapon in the game Clue.
    It was Sgt. Rock, in the shelter, with the MRE's! (sorry Sarge)

Clue-the AT edition. An idea whose time has come.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

When I was 12, I asked for a tent. My parents went to Pier 1 and got me some mosquito netting to hang over my bed. In my bedroom. In my house. Inside.

Default gifts

I was given by a friend a Pelican Heads UP Lite Model 2600 headlamp with strap. You know for hiking at night or around the camp site he said. Thanks I replied, right on the outer housing it states, "submersible to 500 feet". It runs on four double A's.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

I got a stainless steel flask with the Tampa Bay Buccanneers LOGO on it and my name engraved! I did not bother weighing it.

Images

Rick Steves pack towel with its own mesh pouch

Portable saw

Heavy hard back book titled "How to Survive in the Wilderness"

Twist handled tooth brush for dispensing toothpaste

Talking

my husband bought me cooking utensils that folded in half. a 1 lb flash light that clipped to your belt that had a revolving light socket. a strobe function and a flashing function, a extra large thermarest pad (I'm 5'2"), And a device so I can pee standing up! He means well, but now I tell him want I want or need.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post

Heavy hard back book titled "How to Survive in the Wilderness"

Got the same one, mine had the waterproof cover to it - a thick, grippy coating of flexible rubber all over it. It was about 10" x 6" across. Large book.

Images

Gosh...I'm feeling left out. Nobody buys me anything! (thank god!)
    Oh..wait..Christmas..my daughter did get me a new cook pot. Of course I had to run right out and get the old one and my scales and weigh it the next chance I got. It's the same weight so I'll use it. Plus it's non-stick...I hope,...I see a trip coming up very soon...testing, testing...............
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++