WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I always keep in mind the new, inexperienced wanna be backpackers who do a lot of reading on WB.
    curious, how many miles is experienced? and how many you got?

Images

To your first question, since people become trail-wise at different learning/retention rates, there is no magic number of miles to achieve 'experience.'

While I do not claim to be anywhere near the most experienced hiker on WB, I have been backpacking 35 years and I lost count of how many miles after about 5,000, and that was years ago. Although job and family have never permitted me to work in a 'thru,' I have hiked numerous mutli-hundred mile hikes of two, three, four weeks in duration. So while I'm not even in the same league as some folks here who've done the AT thru umpteen times, or the triple-crown, I do feel experienced enough to render advice/opinions on non-thru specific questions. I try to avoid giving advice where I do not have experience.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

To your first question, since people become trail-wise at different learning/retention rates, there is no magic number of miles to achieve 'experience.'

While I do not claim to be anywhere near the most experienced hiker on WB, I have been backpacking 35 years and I lost count of how many miles after about 5,000, and that was years ago. Although job and family have never permitted me to work in a 'thru,' I have hiked numerous mutli-hundred mile hikes of two, three, four weeks in duration. So while I'm not even in the same league as some folks here who've done the AT thru umpteen times, or the triple-crown, I do feel experienced enough to render advice/opinions on non-thru specific questions. I try to avoid giving advice where I do not have experience.

As a newbie, I consider Summits posts to be helpful and insightful. Thank you summit.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Can we just get back to baggin' on the n00bs?

Quote Originally Posted by UnkaJesse View Post
    Can we just get back to baggin' on the n00bs?
    okay, what worthless crap are you carrying?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    okay, what worthless crap are you carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleBiscuit View Post
    On one of my first Boy Scout hiking trips we hiked a little of the AT in North Carolina. One of the kids in my troop brought along a rug to place in front of his tent and a badminton racket to beat the dirt out of it.

lol "be prepared"

Images

I carried a white quartz, laced with mica, rock I found on top of Standing Indian Mtn weighing a couple of pounds about 30 miles (as a present to my baby boy) many years ago!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by UnkaJesse View Post
    So did you carry all of these items, or the tent, the bag, or the girl?

Spring of '07 someone was at the parking lot of the forest service access road a bit north of Springer with a two wheeled cart and gear packed in plastic boxes. It was reported that they intended to do a NOBO with this rig, and that they had traveled the access trail to Springer and on to the parking area with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    it's probably the booze to days out coefficient factor... the fewer days, the less rationing/more inebriation probability

That's definitely the issue. If I am going out for an overnight you can bring something nice with you and it will usually get consumed. Longer trips we drink a lot less simply for the reverb morning factor. Last thing you want on the summit is a hangover.

Stupidest thing I ever carried with me was a metal campfire grate. We all know the one that has the two sides attached by a hinge with a metal ring to hold it closed. I thought it would make a good edition to my already 45 lb pack since it was only, in my famous words, "about a pound" "sounds about right" "Strap it to the back of the pack"

I left it at a shelter with a large fire pit. As far as I know it still hangs on the wall and gets used to this day.

That's good. You got me on that one! But as in the movie (and reality) where Christ overcame sin, maybe you should overcome your fear of trekking poles phobia!
    i'd like to point, as a service to newcomers here, that this is not a preachy christian website

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    i'd like to point, as a service to newcomers here, that this is not a preachy christian website
    Which I wasn't doing . . . just merely referencing another's use of a Christian movie title along with an analogy. I should also point out to newcomers that WB has its share of members who are overly sensitive and intolerant of any mention or hint of a person's faith. They are small in number but loud in voice.

Images

It's Sunday?????
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    It's Sunday?????
    Nope, but I'm not a one-day-a-week-Christian!

Images

For me "non-religious". I dont care what color race or religion you are....Just dont be an ***hole......No reference to you summit, just my point of view. That is the last you'll hear it.

Not a Sighting - Just a Report

Certainly not the worst, but probably one of the strangest items carried, was the report of a man with a large wooden cross with a wheel on the bottom. It may be the AT equivalent of an urban legend...

Outlaw

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
    What about that guy in 2006 who had three duffel bags and would walk about 100 yards up the trail leave the bag, return for another, etc? Told me he was hiking to Canada and then all the way across to Washington State. Think he got kicked off the trail by the Forest Service for setting fires in downed trees...

I saw him just north of Neels in late April (2006).

He was setting fires right smack dab in the middle of the trail if I remember correctly. This, during the drought and fire ban.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

A few years back, while day hiking Blood Mtn., saw a NOBO heading towards Neel's Gap with snorkeling gear. Mask, snorkel and flippers. And, no, I didn't ask.
    "Don't worry...even if things end up a bit too heavy...we'll all float on... all right."
    - Modest Mouse

Images

I did meet a couple of young guys up in the SNP with a 5 lb skillet. I did'nt laugh until they pulled out a 3 lb summer sausage to cook for supper. They could'nt get a fire started so I voluntered to throw in a couple of Esbit tabs for some of that sausage. It sure was good.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++