WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Images

Hiked with a guy who had a socket set in his pack. We had him chuck it half way up Snowbird mountain.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grumpypickle View Post
    You are correct! Good guy. Packed 3lbs of Wasabi peas and didn't say a word all night except "you know, the thing is, I don't like Wasabi peas." you can't make this stuff up.

I hiked with him until Franklin. I think he got off at Fontana.
    I ran into him again in Hot Springs. He took some time off to reassure his wife who was very anxious with him being away. Pretty sure he finished. Was kind of funny that he was carrying all those peas just to give them away.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

a TUB of "monkey-butt powder" yes, a tub.

PS- we convinced him to send his "extra" stuff home at Neel's Gap, but he didn't get away before earning the trailname "Monkeybutt."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    Hiked with a guy who had a socket set in his pack. We had him chuck it half way up Snowbird mountain.
    Surely you didn't talk him into leaving it as litter along the trail???
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

My buddy and I stopped for water at Low Gap Shelter, GA mid-afternoon last April. A hiker dressed in blue jeans and a long sleeve cotton t-shirt was there, as were two other young bucks. Gear was spread everywhere and we assumed all three were set up and done for the day. When the two younger guys left, all the gear was still spread out. This guy had more stuff than you could imagine - portable DVD and movie selection, portable CD player, large supply of SPAM and a 5 lb. bucket of peanut butter just for starters. We quickly dubbed him "Nightwalker" as he indicated that he liked to hike at night and have the shelters to himself during the day. He suggested that local Boy Scout troops should get on the trail and clear it of any loose or protruding rock as a community service project. To his credit, he was attempting to lighten what he estimated to be a 70 lb. load - by trimming the handle off his toothbrush with a 14" Bowie knife! Did see him again the next day at Blue Mountain Shelter but never again.

Images

Wait till you guys see me on the trail. Then you'll really have some stories. I don't see how people can carry so much stuff. After I put my sleeping bag, pillow and teddy bear in the pack there's not much room left.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    Surely you didn't talk him into leaving it as litter along the trail???
    I think this guy found them. He and Clyde are scrappin' Caddies for a living.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I forgot to mention the food bag I carried on my first 40 mile trip on the AT. I carried my old gym bag from high School. Older WB people will remember the one, plastic, big handle and a wooded bottom. Thing must have weighed 3 pounds by itself. Inside I had my food all seperated in additional bags for breakfast, lunch and dinner. my pack was atleast 50 pounds.
    Pootz 07

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Two house cats on leases.
    You can rent house cats?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Not on the AT, but a story with a happy ending:

Coffee & I took my work partner Matt on an overnighter to a Ohio State park, Among other stuff, he had a HUGE knife. At 6' tall this knife still reached to his knee & above his waist, it had an attached tether at near the tip to tie to his leg to reduce "flapping". Attached to the knife, was a saw blade & other attachements. Did I mention it was knife #1 of 3, well, he only admited to 3, but I think he didn't count his multi tool as a knife. At 21 years older & in poorer shape, I was smoking him on the hills he was carrying so much "Crap" (likely as much as Coffee AND I were carrying combined).

We worked a 24 hr shift the following day, he was oddly quiet about the trip, so I let it go.

48 hrs off.

0600 AM, I'm sitting at work doing paperwork, in comes Matt, sets his pack down in front of me & says: "I took all the weight off I could on my own, FIX ME!" I was so proud!

His base weight is now under 20 Lbs. He sold The KNIFE & now carries a single knife. Suffice it to say that now he smokes me on the hills, which is as it should be.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

I didn't see him at Springer, but heard about him. In 2007 he carried a pack and a duffle bag. He would take one a couple of miles and set it down and then go back and get the other. The story went that he made it all the way to Neels gap and unloaded enough stuff to be able to carry the bag and the pack at the same time.

In 2008 I ran into the guy. Still had about a 60 pound pack, a gym bag type duffle, and another bag. He carried the large pack on his back, the duffle on one side, and the other bag (military thing I couldn't ID) on the other. He said he made it all the way to Daleville in 2007 before his wife made him quit. He went back and worked it out with her and was hiking again in 08 starting at Springer again and everything. His name was Tobasco (not the same one here). He mentioned he might lighten up a little this year when he hit Daleville. I saw him north of Daleville - he had gotten a slightly smaller gym bag.

This time he made it about 1700 miles, but I don't know what caused him to leave. But Tipi Walter has nothing on Tobasco07/08. That guy carries mega loads and makes lots of miles.

And he is a former Marine. Cool guy.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

OK, after a few posts of guys making multiple trips back & forth for bags & stuff, I am reminded that:
    A few years ago (I think on trailplace, may have been here) I posted a joke about a guy "Pure hiker" that was going to hike the AT & never leave, not even to resupply, starting at Springer with ALL of his food & stuff, I think it was 12 bags in all, average weight 50 Lbs.

I never in a million years thought anyone would actually do anything even remotely similar. I'm impressed,, I think!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by JERMM View Post
    I saw a guy wearing a ice cooler on his chest last year. He had attached nylon straps to the sides and looped them over his shoulders, like wearing a pack backwards. I guess I don't need to mention he got off the trail at Mountain Crossings.
    This was the guy

About 4 years ago I was helping lead about 30 teens on a 3 day romp through Dolly Sods in WV. Halfway through day 2, noticed a young lady carrying nothing but her purse and sleeping bag. "Traveling light?" I quipped. She proceeded to explain that she had talked all the guys into caring everything else in exchange for doing all the cooking.

So, the guys humped her gear, and she boiled water. Smart girl.

Images

This wasn't the AT but it was a 100 miles with no resupplies in canyonlands. I was leading a group of ten including 6 first time backpackers. A small girl in my group took a huge camera bag, a change of clothes for every day, and even school books to study. by day two we had split up her stuff. what was more amazing was the stuff she was not carrying like a water filter, a tent, a stove, fuel, pots or pans, or THE BACK UP TRAIL MAP I MADE HER BUY AT THE RANGER OFFICE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    About 4 years ago I was helping lead about 30 teens on a 3 day romp through Dolly Sods in WV. Halfway through day 2, noticed a young lady carrying nothing but her purse and sleeping bag. "Traveling light?" I quipped. She proceeded to explain that she had talked all the guys into caring everything else in exchange for doing all the cooking.

So, the guys humped her gear, and she boiled water. Smart girl.
    This is my strategy for coffee. I have the Press-bot system that fits in a Nalgene, which I'd carry anyway. I always make a deal with my hiking partners that if they'll carry the coffee, I'll carry the French press. I've never had anyone decline that offer.

Coffee for a weekend for four javaheads is about 1.5 pounds. (Yes, I like it strong!)
    Press-bot weighs about 1.5 ounces, not counting the Nalgene, which again I'd carry anyway.

That first cup of the first morning is always the best as they they realize they've been had by the Jedi mind trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Wait till you guys see me on the trail. Then you'll really have some stories. I don't see how people can carry so much stuff. After I put my sleeping bag, pillow and teddy bear in the pack there's not much room left.
    no room for blankey?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    no room for blankey?
    I had to make a choice between Blankey and Footies. Guess who won?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

hi,

in february ´85 i met a guy 3 days north of delaware watergap who carried 5 filled, frozen nalgene bottles. one quart each, plus food for about 14 days. he had a big oversize blue tarp, and all gear that you need. we ended up hiking those 3 days together, i carried his food and got to keep it after dwg.

in ´98 my wife carried 3 fat paperback-books starting out from kathadin.

happy trails
    lucky luke
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++