WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Excellent answer!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Yeah, I guess no one has ever died on the AT from hypothermia, have they?
    from thievery, i doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    seriously, what would you do if you actually caught somebody stealing your stuff? i think i would flip my ****.
    'hey dude, what's up? short of some stuff or just stoopid, probably both, i'm guessing. well, here's how i can help - option a - put everything back now and walk away -or- option b - i shove my hiking sticks up your ass, one at a time'

Default in reference to post before

yeah, but think about it this way tm: you're on a 5-day stretch, 2 days in. someone steals you food. not alot of others around. cold and rainy. with no fuel, you're alot more susceptible to hypothermia, aren't you? if they've stolen your whole pack and you don't have layers, whatcha do then? you can hike during the day until you run out of steam, but then what are you going to do to stay warm at night? exhausted, wet.

yeah, but think about it this way tm: you're on a 5-day stretch, 2 days in. someone steals you food. not alot of others around. cold and rainy. with no fuel, you're alot more susceptible to hypothermia, aren't you? if they've stolen your whole pack and you don't have layers, whatcha do then? you can hike during the day until you run out of steam, but then what are you going to do to stay warm at night? exhausted, wet.
    make a shelter with leave and sticks and stuff and wait 10 minutes for someone to come along...

...but mainly we were discussing thievery in town

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

The thread started with a theft on the trail while the hiker was napping. If someone in town steals from you, you don't have to bury em so deep.

yeah, well on the AT in most places, you can hike out very quickly, 10 miles max, big deal

yeah, ok.

seriously, what would you do if you actually caught somebody stealing your stuff? i think i would flip my ****.
    hiking pole cattle-prod their ass.

that's my boy

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    hiking pole cattle-prod their ass.
    that's my boy
    hey, that's what i said

you forgot the cattle-prod part. dear to my heart.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    He's the same Sarge. Quite a character. We once yogied a bottle of wine from a couple days hikers.

Ummmmm. Stumpy... I heard a lot more about that story...just saying.
    Sue Buak

you forgot the cattle-prod part. dear to my heart.
    Ahh... now, where do you say you wanted it?

up the butt of the person that stole my stuff! quit smokin that ****.

I just Tie my sheperd to my pack and tell her to guard, no one has ever touched my pack. You need to teach this before leaving to hike.

Images

Keep Some Ex-lax Bronnies In You Pack. When You See Someone With A Bad Case Of The Ass You Will Have Your Man

Hippie Hobo Limping Trash Mal the Elder's Avatar

I'd first be checking if the liver was edible fresh or needed cooking . . . maybe I'd offer to share a bite with the donor, depending.

I don't care where it happens, theft of food and water are unacceptable. If someone's really in need, folks will share. If someone's just scum, treat accordingly. . . .
    Mal
    Florida Trail NOBO 2010
    Big Cypress---Ft. Pickens

I have heard of other people getting their entire pack taken and I will just say that I consider taking food, water, maps, and navigational gear to be a serious and potentially threatening situation to my well-being and would act accordingly. If the party in question put up a fight if I caught them to keep my stuff well then, I'd act accordingly to that as well.

There are places here where you may be lucky to see another person and even if you get to a road they are very infrequently traveled and it's a good long way to any houses.

Thieves are scum.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

This so reminds me of the situation slackpackers put themselves in. Yeah, sure. Someone is going to be at the trailhead, waiting for them. Hopefully.--
    Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++