WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Ensign Cowall Shelter - MD

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Ensign Cowall Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Smile

This shelter is fairly new and in very good shape,it has a
    good out house and the water source is app. 0.2 from the shelter look for the blue blaze before the shelter.As I remmember there are not many spots around the shelter to tent out.
    EZ-DOES-IT
    It's mind over matter
    If you don't mind it doesn't matter

Default Picture

A very rainy night, not too clear, but here's shot of Ensign Cowall.

Pb

Thumbs up Nice Shelter, More Pictures

This is a very nice shelter with plenty of protection, nice places to cook and clean and eat, and pretty easy access to water.

Here's another picture of the shelter.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Ensign Cowall Shelter

This shelter is about a half mile (if that much) from a road. If you or someone in your group has a cell phone (I know ...I know, that's a controversial topic) you can call a local pizza place (phone number listed inside shelter) and order pizza/soda. Takes about 10 - 15 minutes and someone has to back-track down to the road to meet the delivery person, but hey ...nothing like a piece (or two) of pizza and a nice cold coke after a hard days hike.

Anyhow ....just thought I'd throw that in.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Water in the Spring?

We were through there last year in March, and there was little to no water in the spring (plenty in the creek, but it was a fair walk with several bottles of water). Anybody know if there's water there now? We're planning to hike through there probably next weekend (5/20/2005).

-BSquared

Images

i stayed there may 2003,i got there really late around 11:00pm,accidentley
    scared a hiker when i tripped on a rock and woke him up.there was plently of water in the stream
    the place is very close to a road i remember neo

Images

Default Location

Where is the Phillip Cowall shelter in relation to the old Hemlock Hill Shelter show on My '98 AT mao (I do not thing there is a newer version)

We are heading out for a section hike on 6/12 southbound. The first day we may get dropped off late in the day so I want to see if we can make this shelter (I've heard Devils Racecourse has issues)

Thanks!

-Don

Ensign Cowall Shelter Map, red X marks the location.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Veteran

how did you get the topozone map where you could actually use it, i.e. post it here where I could actually save it?????? this is something i need to know!!! thanks for any help.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

The Cowall Shelter is no more than .1 mile north of the old Hemlock Shelter. The spring at the new shelter is the same water source that was used at the old shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    how did you get the topozone map where you could actually use it, i.e. post it here where I could actually save it?????? this is something i need to know!!! thanks for any help.
    Go to this site, it has all the shelters in alphabetical order. Select shelter then
    select Topozone map and you got it.

i.e. post it here where I could actually save it??????

Just copy the URL address of the link and post it here as a hyperlink or just
    post the Link.

Hope this helps.

Images

Great! Thanks alot!

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default yes Veteran an awesome site

and i think i can do it with what you've given me....so a big thanks to you!
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

I have heard that you can order pizza at this shelter. If there are any thru-hikers there I plan on doing a little trail magic. Is there anyway to dispose of the garbage there or will I be carring it until Dalghren?

Images

Memories indeed at the Ensign Cowall Shelter,
    I stopped in there to get dressed during "Naked hiker day", 21 June 2005. Since I was dressed in my birthday suit I made up my mind that I would hike that way until I either crossed a road, found other hikers or walked in to a shelter (I was looking for a witness). I was to "rubbed raw" to continue on naked, it was to early to order pizza and the trail conditions beckoned me onward for another big mile day (24+ miles). I started at the Annapolis Rocks camp area and ended up at the Antietam Shelter. The EC Shelter was not far from the road at all however I cannot recall a place to dispose of any trash (DGrav, I would plan on hiking with it). Later that evening I came upon a dozen people at the Antietam Shelter having a Birthday/Summer Solstice party, I got lots of leftovers. It was a very good day. WB
    Peace

Default E C Shelter

Camped there last Sat. night. Full shelter, with a scout troop and a bunch of section hikers (like me). Nice facility, has a loft, sleeps about 8-9 comfortably. Good spring a short distance away, decent tenting areas. A welcome respite from the Ernesto deluge!!
    Early Bird 2007

Images

Thumbs up

Stayed oovernight at Cowell Shelter on November 23 (yes, Thanksgiving!) found it a very clean and very nice shelter. Someone had left a folded blanket and pillow for the next "tenants."

Cell service is somewhat "variable" and you need to locate a good spot.

The privy seemed fairly new and very clean.

The Shelter is located an easy 5-10 minutes from the nearby Wolfsville road. I don't know whether or not you can order pizza, but if I had known that was a possibility, I might have tried on that drippy, drizzly night.

The spring, located a little piece down the trail, off to the left, wasn't "gushing", but there was enough water there to draw from. Also, as another hiker posted earlier, there was a good running stream a few more paces down the trail.

Images

The spring was in good shape last month. You can indeed order pizza and pick it up 1/4 mile south of the shelter on wolfsville road. It seemed from the register entries that a lot of hikers are choosing to stay at the free state hostel on wolfsville road instead of the shelter. Lots of great things said about the hostel and it's owners.

this shelter sounds great! hope to be blessed by its pizza proximity on next thru attempt.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++