WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Mashipacong Shelter

I stopped here for a lunch break on the way to High Point Shelter (5/3/04). Shelter is just OK with no picnic table, but has a spiffy port-a-can that is big enough to change clothes in. There was plenty of trail magic by Deperado in the bear box.

Registered Troll
    Images

Default Mashipacong Shelter

Anything like Vietcong Shelter?

Trashy Hiker

Default Shelter Caretakers

Hello eveyone,

Just wanted to put up a post here to let you all know that Myself and Tribes are the shelter maintainers for the Meshipacong Shelter. We work for the NY/NJ Trail Conference. If there are any problems we should be aware of, or if anyone needs anything for or at the shelter, please let us know.
    I also would like to thank Desperado for all of his help with the care of the shelter and all of the magic he provides to the thrus, always. Although we have never met we do appreciate you help and effort. If you read this and get a chance please contact myself or tribes, we would like to meet you and thank you in person.
    Last but not least I would like to wish the best of luck, and health, to all the thru hikers this season. I hope to see some of you this summer in the NY NJ area. Just look for Kermit the frog, he'll be taking a free ride from me.

Yours Truly,

DirtyBird

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Just got back from a 348 mile section hike from HF to Glenwood Lake, NY. I passed by this shelter around noontime on Monday, June 7th on my way north. It is tick infected. I could see them crawling everywhere, so I didn't stay long. Maybe you could spray the place down with some insecticide. Desperado had left water north 2/10's of a mile at Deckertown Trnpk. The clean privy was a welcome sight.
    Cin

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5
    I stopped here for a lunch break on the way to High Point Shelter (5/3/04). Shelter is just OK with no picnic table, but has a spiffy port-a-can that is big enough to change clothes in. There was plenty of trail magic by Deperado in the bear box.
    I believe (if memory serves me) that this is a picture of that spiffy port-a-can...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/4

Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Stayed here 4/16/2005 on a NJ Section Hike.

It was a very pleasant location at a higher elevation on the ridge, which meant it got more light (a plus in my book). The solar privy was very spiffy, and Desperado had left lots of trail magic for thru-hikers in the bear box.

The biggest down side was no water, and I didn't see any at Deckertown Rd. the next day either. Make sure to cart some water up here, since there isn't any for several miles (unless you feel like detouring off the trail).

I didn't notice any ticks like Minerva mentioned. Hopefully they are gone now.

Even though this shelter is close to a road, it seems to be a less-used one. I got a good night's sleep here.

Does this type of privy have a 'brand name", in other words, was it purchased from a company? Would like that info ;-)
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by mooseboy
    Stayed here 4/16/2005 on a NJ Section Hike.

The biggest down side was no water, and I didn't see any at Deckertown Rd. the next day either. Make sure to cart some water up here, since there isn't any for several miles (unless you feel like detouring off the trail).

Was the water pump at Deckertown just not turned on for the season perhaps? I'm doing a section hike this weekend (4/29-5/1/05), and was counting on that water supply at Deckertown...

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Well, I didn't look for it very long... but a Southbound hiker had just passed Deckertown Rd. when he sat down at Mashipacong for supper, and didn't find water either. On top of that, the 2005 AT Thru-hikers' Companion states, "No water." Generally if there's water within 0.5 mi. of a shelter, they include it.

That's weird- the NJ A.T. guide book I have from the NYNJTC says "water from pump at Deckertown Tpk."

There IS NO water at Mashipacong Shelter ITSELF; the pump is supposed to be where the A.T. crosses Deckertown Tpk. (just making sure we're talking about the same thing.)
    Last edited by ELi; 04-28-2005 at 19:31.

I did that section of NJ last summer. When I crossed the road there at Deckertown TPK, I ran into Desperado, a trail angel. The pump was no longer there, it had been removed. If I remember correctly he said it was the second time it had been removed over the years and that the well was contaminated. He had been leaving water close to the Mashipacong Shelter, but I wouldn't count on this.

Thanks! I'm just glad I found out NOT to count on that pump at Deckertown as a refill site. Thanks for the info- I'm heading out the door now to meet the crew at the trailhead!

Images

i got water left by trail angels down the trail near the road,also there was trail goodys neo

Just passed through this week, nearest water is about a mile away on the Iris Trail. There's a sign for it at the intersection with the AT if you're coming in from the north.

Fortunately, we had teenagers in the shelter who were willing to carry water just for something to do - gotta love it!

-Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by jamarshall
    Just passed through this week, nearest water is about a mile away on the Iris Trail. There's a sign for it at the intersection with the AT if you're coming in from the north.

Fortunately, we had teenagers in the shelter who were willing to carry water just for something to do - gotta love it!

-Joyce
    Yeah- that's where we got water from. Good, running, close source.

That privy is cool- except when the sun isn't bright enuff to operate the solar cells- then it smells WORSE than alot of the privies I've been in. That thing needs to be emptied. BAD.

Deckerton Pike water pump was shut down in 1998 due to contamination (Giardia and bacteria). There's a spring about 5/8ths of a mile north on the Iris (Red blaze) trail. Desperado, Dirty and crew leave water and often soda just off the AT near the shelter...check the log book for it's location. Although the bear box gets raided by locals from time to time....they only seem to take the cookies and candy the Angels leave for thru's...sugar addicts, it seems. I've replenished what I can, when I can.

Having met both DirtyBird and Desperado, they do an amazing job of maintaining this and several other shelters in Stokes. I've seen Desperado at Brink Rd, Gren Anderson and Mashipicong (no, it's nothing like Mei Cong or VietCong)...

I met Dirty at the Rutherford Shelter last year. You and your guys are great, and many thanks for all your efforts.
    ...just a regular guy
    Stomping around in the woods allows me to lose the stresses of everyday life while finding myself

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mount...untain_id/5055

This shelter looked really promising, but it was closed due to bear activity when my friend and I ran into it July 29 '05. Just a bit of warning for anyone who gets this. You'll probably have to go to the Rutherford Shelter a little further up the AT. A shame too; that shelter was nothing compared to this one.

Images

The shelter is open again for business! and now has a picnic table
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Talk about an encounter that would make you scream like a little girl:

Tuesday, August 2, 2005 By LYNN OLANOFF

Herald Staff Writer

MONTAGUE — A bear bit a sleeping camper and tried to drag him away from a shelter along the Appalachian Trail at High Point State Park last month, state officials said Monday. The bear was killed Friday after becoming ensnared in a trap at the same campsite, officials said.

The male camper, whose name has not been released, was sleeping with a group around 6:30 a.m. on July 13 at the Mashipacong Shelter when the bear bit him on the leg and attempted to drag both him and his sleeping bag, said Karen Hershey, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

The bear left "marks" on the camper, Hershey said, but would not release details of his injuries Monday.

State officials learned of the incident from a High Point State Park ranger on July 21, Hershey said. The spokeswoman said the late notification combined with a weeklong investigation into the incident was the reason for delayed public notification.

The State Division of Fish and Wildlife set a trap for the bear Wednesday at the shelter, the campsite on the Appalachian Trail in Montague where the July 13 incident occurred, Hershey said. The shelter is near Deckertown Turnpike in the southeast corner of the park close to the Wantage border.

The 152-pound, 5-year-old female bear caught in the trap Friday was later identified as the same bear who bit the camper, Hershey said. She did not say how the bear was identified.

"The Division (of Fish and Wildlife) was confident it caught the offending bear," she said.

DEP Press Director Elaine Makatura said the department does not release the names of people involved in bear incidents to "protect (their) anonymity."

The Mashipacong Shelter and nearby sections of the Appalachian Trail were closed for a few days during the investigation. They have since been reopened.

High Point State Park Superintendent John Keator referred a call Monday inquiring about the incident to the DEP press office.
    http://www.njherald.com/307207592292689.php

Default Privies

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    Does this type of privy have a 'brand name", in other words, was it purchased from a company? Would like that info ;-)
    The brand is Clivus, they are used in many places. NJ is planning on installing them in other locations as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++