WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Mountains of the Heart

For more information about Mountains of the Heart, visit Scott Weidensaul's website.

An A.T. hike should be about discovering America. Many contempory hikes appear to be more about gear, services and camping. I'd like to see more hikers on the A.T. seeking to connect with the natural world which is increasingly foreign to man but upon which we still depend for our sustenance.

My recommendation follows from what I believe to be the original and most important function served by the A.T. That said, I believe another aspect of discovery many experience only to a limited extent and then mostly by accident rather than by design is learning about how Appalachia shaped the lives of those who settled there and the regional and local cultural differences which remain.

I liked Peter Jenkins' books and his openness to experiencing fully what he discovered. That kind of experience is different from what I read about and observe today when hikers seem preoccupied with gear, services, the next town stop and where their guide books direct them.

Many hikers I meet are too guarded to be open to this kind of experience. I'm beginning to believe hikers need to rediscover traditional methods of information gathering. Many would be better served by mail drops, maps, an A.T. Data Book and making an effort to meet locals willing to share those features which distinguish their place of residence.

I invite you to read the threads I've started many of which attempt to paint a picture of Pennsylvania's Green Diamond. Sometime I must condense my more than 4000 posts mostly about it into an article rich with links.

Images

[quote=emerald;800466
    I also liked Peter Jenkins' books and his openness to experiencing fully what he encountered. That kind of experience seems to me quite different from what I'm reading about and observing today among hikers who seem preoccupied with gear, services and where the guides direct their hikes.[/quote]

Good point, and I would highly recommend Peter Jenkins' first two books "A Walk Across America" and "The Walk West". I felt his later books became more of a commercial endeavour and lacked his wide-eyed wonder.

This is one reason I originally suggested Colin Fletcher, he includes much more of the wonder and why of backpacking than most other writers of "How To" books.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Only read one book

I'm speaking from my thru-hike experience. I read Wingfoot's book; The Thru-hiker's Planning Guide. I followed his advice and had a great thru-hike adventure. After reading it and taking his advise I started with all the confidence in the world.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Default Reply to Lyle's comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Good point, and I would highly recommend Peter Jenkins' first two books "A Walk Across America" and "The Walk West". I felt his later books became more of a commercial endeavour and lacked his wide-eyed wonder.

This is one reason I originally suggested Colin Fletcher, he includes much more of the wonder and why of backpacking than most other writers of "How To" books.
    I was referring only to the 2 Jenkins titles Lyle mentioned since they are the only books by him I've read.

The book that captured my mind years ago when I was in my teens and still dreaming about doing the AT was "The Appalachian Trail: Backpackers Planning Guide" by Victoria and Frank Logue. I don't think it's in print any more, but used copies can still be found on amazon. It was never really an informational book for me, so much as an inspirational book. For whatever reason, whenever I pick it up and read a bit out of it, I get really fired up to go out hiking for a long time.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Another vote for Colin Fletcher.

Too many books are about the HOW..very few books give the WHY and a sense of wonder.

Gear talk is boring..once you are past the basics it is all fine details.

Speaking of which, for a great quick and dirty primer on backpacking and lightweight backpacking basics, I suggest these two books as my NEXT favorites. Gives an overall view of what you need..not the exact brand of freaking gear like so many books.

Just the facts, to the point, funny reads. If you want to compare the Titanium widgets in more detail, go elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Mikes-Re...6962705&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Com...9957158&sr=8-2
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

The Complete Walker reads kinda like instructions for hooking up a stereo to me...a bit dry...
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Quote Originally Posted by piotr01 View Post
    If you knew very little about backpacking and could only read one book before you headed out on the AT for a couple weeks what would you read?
    (Does not include AT trail guides etc)
    Jan D. Curran's "The A.T.-How to Prepare For & Hike It"

Journal Entries
    Images

I would seriously forgo all the books and read this several times over:

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html

If I still felt I needed something to put on my bookshelf, I would probably buy "Tracking and the Art of Seeing" by Paul Rezendez. Despite all the talk of views along the AT, most of the time you are looking at your feet so why not get some extra entertainment out of that?

But that link is really the best.

Another vote for The Complete Walker. At least if a how to is what you want. I do agree it is best consumed in small bites.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Hiking The At Vol 1 And 2 Are What Got Me Going. Published By Roldale. Dorthy Laker Is Probably The Best Writter Of Her Time

Images

Blind Courage

"Without them we perish." eArThworm's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by piotr01 View Post
    If you knew very little about backpacking and could only read one book before you headed out on the AT for a couple weeks what would you read? ...
    My answer assumes you mean a book about how to backpack, not someone's story about when they hiked the Trail. Incahiker is right about Karen Berger. Her "how to" books are
    about the best written, all 'round. They are:

Berger, Karen. Advanced Backpacking: A Trailside Guide. New York: W. W. Norton, 1998.

Berger, Karen. Hiking & Backpacking: A Complete Guide. Rev. ed. New York: W. W. Norton, 2005.

Berger, Karen. Hiking Light Handbook: Carry Less, Enjoy More. Seattle: Mountaineers, 2004.

Another book that's had good reviews is:

Kemsley, William. Backpacker and Hiker’s Handbook. Mechanicsburg, Pa.: Stackpole Books, 2008.

I don't own that one yet, so can't personally vouch for it. Kemsley is the founder of Backpacker magazine, which *doesn't* get good reviews. So YMMV.

Images

Hustler

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Trooper View Post
    Hiking The At Vol 1 And 2 Are What Got Me Going. Published By Roldale. Dorthy Laker Is Probably The Best Writter Of Her Time
    That's what I was going to recommend. I read it over twenty rears ago as a teen, and again just recently. I'm lucky to know two of the contributors.

The stories in these two volumes make me realize how light my relatively mediocre gear is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by eArThworm View Post
    I don't own that one yet, so can't personally vouch for it. Kemsley is the founder of Backpacker magazine, which *doesn't* get good reviews. So YMMV.
    Backpacker was a very high quality magazine when Bill Kemsley was the publisher. The downhill slide began after he left and the magazine was sold.

Backpacking, One Step at a Time, by Harvey Manning, was one of my early favorites, along with The Complete Walker.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Backpacking, One Step at a Time, by Harvey Manning, was one of my early favorites, along with The Complete Walker.
    Same here. Complete Walker III made me want to backpack, and taught me how. I'll always have a soft spot for it. III is amusing because it was written at the height of the last ultralight revolution 25 years ago, and there is a gear list in the there that would work fine for someone going light on the AT today. There is nothing new under the sun . . .

Harvey Manning's book is hilarious, and has a lot of down-to-earth, dirtbag advice. I love his answer on how to deal with a down bag in a wet climate (he lived near Seattle): "What sort of ninny lets his bag get wet?"

Either one of these books could get folks from the couch to the trail.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

A bit dated, but David Brill's "As Far as the Eye Can See" is a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    first true blue-blazer too
    Blue blazes lead to water don't they? what's the big deal? or are you gonna try and sit here and say you have never taken a blue blaze in your life? pfft yea ok..

Bryson's book was ok at best, yea it was funny but he bit off more then he could chew and he did it to make a buck.

Backpacking: One step at a time - Manning, Havey is one of my favorites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++