WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pemi Wilderness

Question Pemi Wilderness

I am leading our scouts on a white mtn trip this summer. scouts must be first class and at least 13 yo - probably about 10 in party. Considering a pemi trip -

day 1 - drive up from CT, see the flume, basin, whatever, camp at lafayette place or along the kanc

day 2 early - drop cars at basin lot and get shuttle to kanc

day 2 - kanc to 13 falls (doesn't appear to be much elevation change, how difficult?)

day 3 - 13 falls to garfield (short day to setup day 4)

day 4 - garfield to liberty springs

day 5 - liberty to franconia and drive home to CT

may do the hike in reverse order

Thoughts?

Images

The hike to 13 falls isn't too difficult, elevation-wise. But the trail is a little wild toward the end. More blowdowns and whatnot than what'd you'd find on the AT. It's part of the whole "wilderness" thing. The first few miles, though, are like a super highway. It's a nice hike. And the rest is just spectacular. Sounds like you have a good trip planned. Just have the kids take it easy on that long downhill at the end.

Images

Oh, and if you wanted to do the Pemi Loop, you could just camp at the campground right across the street from the Lincoln Woods trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    Oh, and if you wanted to do the Pemi Loop, you could just camp at the campground right across the street from the Lincoln Woods trailhead.
    yeah, i was thinking that, but i was thinking short miles on last day for long drive home

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Thoughts?
    Sounds like fun, hope you have good weather!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Sounds like fun, hope you have good weather!
    thanks. that's why i am keeping options open for which direction to hike. if we get up there and franconia ridge is predicted ideal conditions, we head straight in

Be advised that all three of these camp sites are very popular and a group of 10 is about 1/3d the capacity of the sites. Do this trip mid week or there may not be room for you all when you get there. All three sites have AMC caretakers and a $8.00 per head fee.

An alturnative is to park at the pemi trail head and continue down franconia ridge (osseo trail) back to the wilderness trail. It is a little longer, but much less steep than going back down into Franconia notch off the top of the ridge. Use the Franconia brook trail up to 13 falls. The Lincoin brook trail is hard to follow in places.

That loop is a nice hike if you have good weather on the ridge. If not, its a nightmare.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you have not seen this link before, you might want to check it out.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/camp...tification.cfm

WRT Liberty Spring and Garfield, if the caretaker can't squeeze you in on a busy day, finding a nearby alterative place to camp will be problematic. So best not to ignore the recommend SOP, I think.

i have hiked the AT thru here last year, i know how things work and i know the stealth spots. thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

i have hiked the AT thru here last year, i know how things work and i know the stealth spots. thanks

For 10 people around Liberty Springs and Garfiled?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    For 10 people around Liberty Springs and Garfiled?
    yes, i stayed in one and found the other

i am a good scout

i like to have a flexible schedule. while we will shoot for camping where requested, i know there are alternatives, and i know the caretakers are cool with helping those who are cool

Images

Plan to start your days early and end up in camp as early as possible, and you should be fine. Provided you're not out on a weekend or a holiday...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    Plan to start your days early and end up in camp as early as possible, and you should be fine. Provided you're not out on a weekend or a holiday...
    that's the plan and it never hurts to have a backup plan. thanks.

day 2 - kanc to 13 falls (doesn't appear to be much elevation change, how difficult?)

Thoughts?
    first three miles is an old rr grade. same on the trail that heads east

yes, i stayed in one and found the other

i am a good scout

i like to have a flexible schedule. while we will shoot for camping where requested, i know there are alternatives, and i know the caretakers are cool with helping those who are cool
    Hope the ridge runner don't find you, they aren't so cool or forgiving.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hope the ridge runner don't find you, they aren't so cool or forgiving.
    oh, now i'm skeered. i can read and follow rules, 200' is 200' etc. like i said my goal is to stay at the campsites. and if they are full, the caretakers can suggest an alternative or i know how to find my own. no bigee.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Be advised that all three of these camp sites are very popular and a group of 10 is about 1/3d the capacity of the sites. Do this trip mid week or there may not be room for you all when you get there. All three sites have AMC caretakers and a $8.00 per head fee.
    liberty is much larger than 30. i'd say they squeezed in at least 50 when i was there, not pleasant, but met some interesting people. i'll think some more on reserving, maybe actually call to see about last minute changes, my main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by slo-go'en
    An alturnative is to park at the pemi trail head and continue down franconia ridge (osseo trail) back to the wilderness trail. It is a little longer, but much less steep than going back down into Franconia notch off the top of the ridge. Use the Franconia brook trail up to 13 falls. The Lincoin brook trail is hard to follow in places.

That loop is a nice hike if you have good weather on the ridge. If not, its a nightmare.
    yeah, i was looking at this option, just might follow this route, direction is dependent on last minute weather update. i want a perfect day on the ridge, had it last august, would love to have it for the scouts. marginal weather ok, ugly weather cancels, i am very careful with kids. if i don't think it is safe, not doing it period.

thanks for the info and reminder of the rules... even if i don't like rules

Images

I heard there is a church group going to hike that loop at the same time.

Just returned. This is what we did -

day 1 - drive up from CT, saw the flume, basin, pizza party, plymouth hospital (3 hour side trip to see what was giving scoutmaster the fever and get a scrip), camped at hancock along the kanc across from lincoln woods visitor center

day 2 early - breakfast in town while waiting for pharmacy to open, purchased weekly parking pass for $5 per car (normally $3/day/car)

day 2 - lincoln woods visitor center to 13 falls tentsite

day 3 - 13 falls to galehead hut for lunch break, then garfield pond (legal stealth site)

day 4 - garfield pond to liberty springs tentsite. Weather okay until ridgeline - then socked in with clouds, windy, showery

day 5 - liberty springs down osseo trail to lincoln woods visitor center. Weather cleared for great views from Liberty and Flume peaks. Drive home to CT.

The boys outhiked the adults and had a great time. Like hikers everywhere, on the last day all they talked about was food and where they wanted to eat. SM hiked injured most of the way (knee) and probably will not be up for another trip like this. I warned him that it was rugged - now he knows.

Thanks all for the feedback. Loved the local map and osseo trail suggestions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++