WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Glad it was pouring down rain when we tented there July 2nd. I guess it kept the critters away! It also kept the boy scouts in their tents so everyone else could get a good nights sleep. Some one came in about 5 am and left Dunkin Donuts Coffee and doughnuts with a note saying " I thought thru-hikers got up earlier than this!" Overall it was a nice camping area even tho the road was kind of noisy but again this was cancelled out by the rain hitting the tent. Plenty of water at the spring and the privy was in decent condition
    Conquering the AT one weekend at a time!

This is the shelter where I lost my iPhone. Also, I met a girl the other day that said her friend was bitten by the raccoon there last year. So with Phoenix and Sleeveless, that makes at least three raccoon bite victims. So I think this shelter is cursed.

Images

I got my redemption at this shelter... bit disappointed that there were no raccoons I was planning on popping on of the son of bitches' heads off.
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Tented near the shelter on 10/08. Spring running slowly. Old shelter. Lots of stink bugs. Busy place as easily reached by day hikers and weekend over-nighters. Loud traffic noise from I-70.

I was glad it was there in June of this year when I sectioned. I had left PenMar around lunch and was getting tired when I stopped. No one there, no critters seen or heard. The spring was flowing ok then. The highway noise was noticeable. Overall it was a nice stop.

if you can, avoid using this shelter for overnighting. it's close to the interstate and sees a steady stream of day hikers heading to or from Annapolis Rocks. plus the raccoon curse.

i would sleep in the rain sans tent at Pogo before i would stay at Pine Knob - it's just not a good spot in the modern era.

Stayed there April 13 on my Duncannon-to-Harpers Ferry section hike, sharing the shelter with another section hiker. Thankfully, no raccoons. Water flowing well. Slept well despite the noise from nearby I-70. For an old shelter, it appeared in decent shape.

Images

Ate lunch there last Sunday with friends and found the constant hum of I-70 a bit annoying , but no more so than the loud motorcycles that can be heard at times while hiking through Shenandoah Nat'l Park during the summer months.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Stayed there in November of 2011. As others have noted it is close to the intestate, and gets heavy hiker traffic. As a matter of fact, it was full when I was there. There were people staying in the shelter, and many tents set up on the sites near it. There are a couple of nice large tent sites. Didn't notice any bear activity or the problem raccoons from several years ago. I had a nice evening there.

Stayed there 3 days/2 nights during Christmas vacation 1965. It was very cold. The interior had not been painted white.....way back then.

Stayed there March 22 2013 and had a quiet evening, along with a bunch of other people. No raccoons, no problems, other than geese flying down the I-70 corridor around 3am. Water flowing, not strong, but OK. Beautiful sunset.
    "Sea Eagle"

Stayed at Pine Knob on 10/20/13. Friday night and we had the shelter to ourselves -- not even a mouse in sight. In fact, the only critter we saw was a little chipmunk.

Piped spring was running slow, but steady, with a bit of sediment. There's no place that the water pools, so if you're filtering, you'll need something to catch the water in, first.

Privy was pretty clean, deodorized, and appeared to be recently painted.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++