WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default mason's string for a tent

is mason's string strong enough for guylines on a non-freestanding tent rainfly??? if the 170lb working strength isn't enough, how much should i get?
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

I use it for my tarps. Worked for me through hundreds of miles. Get the braided though.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yep! I've had it on my sil shelter for years now.
    Been set up in some big wind storms to. It has held up great.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

thanks men!
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

mine says 'twisted nylon mason's string'... should i assume twisted and braided are synonymous? and should i plan to burn/melt the ends when i cut em to prevent fraying?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    mine says 'twisted nylon mason's string'... should i assume twisted and braided are synonymous? and should i plan to burn/melt the ends when i cut em to prevent fraying?
    Yes and no. I'm pretty sure twisted and braided are different, particularly since Sgt Rock specified braided. I have twisted, and though it's plenty strong, it tangles into a useless mass pdq. But then, I'm a clutz with ropes, strings, hoses, etc., so I like nice stiff orange line like Ed Speer gives you.

And yes, melt the ends.

twisted is twisted and braided is braided. braided is stronger than twisted and costs a little more.

Cord made for window blinds would be similar. I haven't tried it, though, except on our blinds.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I tried twisted, tended to get funky even after melting the ends a little. Braided doesn't have the problems. I don't know that it stronger, could be.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

The add quote:

Why braided?
    Because the twine is braided, it doesn’t come apart even after multiple unwindings. It is perfect for large jobs and everyday use. 18-gauge line with an approximate tensile strength of 155 pounds.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

i have been a bricklayer for 19 years. i have never heard of anyone using it as rope for thier food bags or thier shelter. if it works good then great! but at work we replace the lines often and always roll up the line at the end of the day, especially if theres a chance of rain. when the line(WE ONLY USE BRAIDED)gets wet it has a great chance of snapping. we put alot of tension on the line between speed leads and its very dangerous when the line does snap. we do pull it alot tighter than you ever would in the woods. but in my line of work using a wet line is a big no-no. be safe and like i said if its working for you then great.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i have been a bricklayer for 19 years. i have never heard of anyone using it as rope for thier food bags or thier shelter. if it works good then great! but at work we replace the lines often and always roll up the line at the end of the day, especially if theres a chance of rain. when the line(WE ONLY USE BRAIDED)gets wet it has a great chance of snapping. we put alot of tension on the line between speed leads and its very dangerous when the line does snap. we do pull it alot tighter than you ever would in the woods. but in my line of work using a wet line is a big no-no. be safe and like i said if its working for you then great.
    Good to know. I think this is the truth on ANY line. I've not broken it yet, but I doubt I have come close to stressing it to 150 lbs on one line.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I did a Google Search:

Myth # 15: Rope strength can be determined by looking at the manufacturer’s documents.

NO! Rope strength includes the calculation of 3 factors every time a rope is used.
    • Knots! A knot will reduce the strength of your rigging by approximately 1/3 of the rope‘s strength.
    • Wet/Dry! Nylon rope will lose 15% of its strength when wet. Polyester loses no strength when wet.
    • Age! A rope loses about 2% of its strength per year even when it is kept in a like-new condition , even if it has never been used.

These three are allotted for when using the 10 to 1 safety margin. Unless any of the three are excessive, i.e. a 20 year old wet rope with an overhand knot (50-55% efficiency) can push a rope beyond its life support abilities.
    ( -40% age- 15% wet, -45% knot) = 0 strength.
    http://www.onrope1.com/Myth15.htm
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

hmm. i would've guessed nylon would hold up better wet considering that's what most tent flies are made out of

hmm. i would've guessed nylon would hold up better wet considering that's what most tent flies are made out of
    I do not know why tent makers still use nylon for flies. Polyester is only slightly heavier, does not stretch wet or dry, and is vastly more UV resistant.

On boats, almost all lines are polyester, except for horribly expensive spectra stuff. Anchor lines and tow lines, which you want to stretch, are the main exceptions.

I guess I should check West Marine for very light line suitable for guys on tents.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

sounds like a tent or tarp company should patent making flies out of poly and make some dough! any tarps out there made of poly?

Images

alps mountaineering uses poly for their tent flys.

Images

sweet. wonder if i can order just a fly from them to use w/ a bugnet

is mason's string strong enough for guylines on a non-freestanding tent rainfly??? if the 170lb working strength isn't enough, how much should i get?
    http://mysite.verizon.net/restoq6v/id4.html - this 250lb test is an alternative - might give you some ideas.

Masons line is an interesting thought for tent/tarp lines, however, I dismissed using it a long time ago in favor of 2mm mountaineering cord because it is braided, does not have a core, does not stretch, and does not rot or break. I have recently replaced w/ultra light triptease.

Has anyone compared weight (not strength) of masons line to 2mm?
    BTW- Triptease has a breaking strength of 188 lbs.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++