WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Long Trail Kick Off Mid June

Hello 2016 Long Trail End-to-Enders,

Are you ready to backpack 270+ miles from the Massachusetts border, through Vermont to the Canadian border? I sure am. With a tentative start date of Tuesday June 21st (flexible), I am geared and ready to complete this challenge. I plan to hike 12 or so miles a day to start, then build up to longer distances in order to hike this monster trail at a leisurely pace, stopping at swimming holes and towns to make the most of this hike.

If you are planning to through-hike this summer around this time frame please respond here so we can arrange a Kick-Off (a sizeable group meeting at the Southern Terminus to start on the same day). I am an experienced hiker, so I know the raw deal about the bugs, crappy shelters, crumby food and long hot Vermud days. I also know all too well the importance of teamwork and support especially at the start and finish of this beastly trail. I understand many people start together and end up hiking their own hike, but I would love to start off with some folks, and then see where it goes from there.

Best Wishes,

Brian

Check out my Long Path Journal for a sense of my hiking hangups, woes and fears. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=452706

Ah...I see you know the region! I fear I will be occupied with work, alas.

Err, having a big group all start off on the same day isn't really a good idea for the LT. A few maybe, but not a crowd. Space is limited, over use is a problem in areas and the LT is already thick with camp groups in July. But don't worry, there will be others out and about and maybe on the same program as you.

Good luck, it's a difficult but rewarding hike. A couple of good swimming holes along the AT segment, but I'd stay out of beaver ponds. Don't forget to tip your GMC caretaker I'll probably do another SOBO E2E this fall since I can't get out earlier this year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++