WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default upper goose pond

I stayed there a couple times!,the last time I stayed there was in the last of feb.in 00 I put my tent up on the porch it was great!and very cold If I recall I had a hard time finding it although I must admit I was almost froze to death so that could of explained it!kentuck

Images

Default stay

we will be there in first week in oct ,??? can we stay there over nite
    wolf

Wolf--
    The Cabin is open weekends through October 20th. There is no fee for staying at the cabin or using one of the campsites. Might be a tad crowded as that is a holiday weekend. It would be good to plan on arriving somewhat early in the afternoon if possible.

The AT Committee is leading a series of day hikes on the entire AT on the 6th, one includes the cabin on its route.

Enjoy your stay,

Cosmo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Wolf-- There is no fee for staying at the cabin or using one of the campsites.
    But they do take donations. In August there was a can on the table in the living room labeled for donations.

Images

r they open doing the week in oct
    wolf

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    r they open doing the week in oct
    Wolf, here are the dates in October--according to the latest caretaker's schedule:

Oct 5-8, 19&20.

Oct 21st we will close up the cabin for the season.

Images

Cosmo,

When is the busiest time for NOBO thru hikers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Cosmo,

When is the busiest time for NOBO thru hikers?
    NOBO's start showing up in July and taper off in August. There is significant crossover of NB and SB hikers at the cabin in July and August.

Cosmo

all new mattresses this year when I was there last week. a great stop after a rainy tuesday.

Images

we will be getting there on oct 6 2008 ,is it going to be open for us who shoud i conntact
    wolf

Wolf,

It's likely to be closed. At present we only have a caretaker scheduled there on Oct 3-5 and 10-13. After the "high season", we don't see much weekday business.

You are more than welcome to camp on the porch or the tent platforms. We'd rather you didn't cook on the porch, but rather in the outdoor kitchen area in back of the cabin.

Cosmo

I thought I'd update folks about this past season at the Cabin. In addition to installing a new roof, we had the busiest year since we've been keeping accurate records in 1984. Total for this season was 2435 overnight visitors. We had some really peaky days I've attached (I think) a graph showing use by day. Single digits most weekdays in May, Sept and October. No visitors on Sept 27th.

2015 UGPC Visitors Sheet1.jpg

Cosmo

Looking forward to visiting one of these days!

I was supposed to be there around sept 5th but quit my trip due to some sickness just a couple miles short of the cabin at Goose Pond Road.
    I've really beat myself up for not trying to make it to the cabin and rest for a day.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

How long is the hike from the road for day use? I was looking for that from rt. 102 today and couldn't locate a parking area. Also have noticed in CT towns restrict use of their ponds and lakes to town residents, with some fee areas, but MA does not, which is good policy? Had a good swim at Lenox beach today.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

From Rt 20 it's a 1.6 mile hike (1.1mi on AT, 0.5mi of blue-blaze approach trail). The trailhead is a clearly marked parking lot with plenty of room. From Goose Pond Rd. It's 3.2 miles, and parking is in a field.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-24-2016 at 20:41.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Consider waiting till the hiker bubble recedes a bit--late August or early Sept. Avoid weekends and holidays. Swimming will be great thru mid Sept. Pretty darned crowded this time of year, why add to the problem?

Cosmo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Consider waiting till the hiker bubble recedes a bit--late August or early Sept. Avoid weekends and holidays. Swimming will be great thru mid Sept. Pretty darned crowded this time of year, why add to the problem?

Cosmo
    Good advise.

CT, MA and VT are currently in awash in thruhikers NOBO and SOBO.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If your purpose is only day use, I wouldn't worry too much about the number of thruhikers. You probably won't see any before 3-4 pm when they start planning for the night. Weekend day use can be heavy as locals enjoy hike and the lake. They tend to leave early too though. We made a trip on saturday 7/23 and met up with a couple of stragglers from the night before around noon. The place was deserted right up until 4:00 when we were invited by the caretaker to leave. The lake was very quiet all day, but the trail was pretty busy in and out of Rt 20
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++