Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

most of the area was burned. The devistation was pretty severe just south of FR 10, and west to FR 65. This picture is that area after the fire. Today, it looks green again, the under growth is back, and the trees are growing.

if you are going to be hiking that section, be aware that there has been a spike in the black bear population. The picture below is bear tracks from just up the road off FR 65. Forest officials told me that the bears are becoming bolder, and quite a nuisance. At least one sow has learned, and is teaching her cubs, how to open the 'wild life proof' trash containers.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Amigi, you're back! When's the next FL get together?
    And I'm back again, hehe.
    You are in heaven.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand View Post
    And I'm back again, hehe.
    You missed our Big Foot Vigil last Jan. Chief and his friends were there along with Grinder and Rocket.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Registered User michael rowlands's Avatar
    Images

I just spent a week in the Juniper Wilderness area near hidden pond. I fish in Crooked Sapling pond and to the north where the fishing used to be the best around. The fish are still there but are greatly reduced for some reason after the fires. The prarie has come back with many wild flowers and deer berry plants. I would estimate about 80 percent of the oak hammocks are totally devistated. The 100 year old trees are included in this 80 percent. It is like walking through a hot moonscape much of the way through the area. The fire was reported to have started north of Juniper Springs at a pond by hikers. This may be true but the Forest Service did not fight the fire to stop it. They fanned the fire and allowed it to burn the whole damn area right up o the perimiter roads. They then fought it and stopped it immediatly to protect the sand pines which is the paper mills bread and butter. Shame on the forest service for blaming the whole burn on the hikers. The hikers were responsible for the first day of the fire. After that it is on the Forest Service's conscience. Oh by the way the director of the Forest Service was replaced after the fire. {Rick Lint] I have butted heads with that dude for years and am glad to see him gone. He talked a good talk but was mostly all talk without results. Mike Rowlands. aka Rowmin Goat

Images

Thanks for the report. I kayaked Juniper Springs on the 4th, very little of the burn is visible from the springs this year. Last year it look really bad. BTW, the swimming hole at the hwy 19 bridge is closed permanently now, not sure why.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

This is almost the exact same area I showed in my previous picture. The undergrowth is coming back strong, but I fear it will be years before there are trees again to shade the path.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++