WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bug protection

Totally harmless unless riled JLB's Avatar

Default Bug protection

What do you guys use? Does anybody use Skin so soft? What about those small area personal bug devices, does they work? Is a head net a good idea?

100% DEET. Skin So Soft doesn't work for s**t. Just makes you smell like a chick.

Images

Default head net...yes.

I would recommend a head net. It will also come in handy while your sleeping in shelters.
    Skin so soft and bug spray tend to leave an oily residue and in a non-shower situation I found it easier to do without. Besides, I wound up sweating it off in a matter of minutes anyway.
    I've tried one of those sound emitting "small area personal bug devices" and it didn't seem to work at all.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

BEN'S 100% deet..it works!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe
    I would recommend a head net. It will also come in handy while your sleeping in shelters.
    Skin so soft and bug spray tend to leave an oily residue and in a non-shower situation I found it easier to do without. Besides, I wound up sweating it off in a matter of minutes anyway.
    I've tried one of those sound emitting "small area personal bug devices" and it didn't seem to work at all.
    There is a new one that burns a small blue strip with mini gas cylinder. They are available at Wal Mart. I got one as a gift, but need to try it out soon.

Images

Default mini gas cylinder...

JLB,
    I'm curious how well that device works. mini gas cylinder...hmmm...You'd be hard pressed to keep the mosquitos and black flies in Maine at bay with a flame thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe
    JLB,
    I'm curious how well that device works. mini gas cylinder...hmmm...You'd be hard pressed to keep the mosquitos and black flies in Maine at bay with a flame thrower.
    Here is their web site:

http://www.pestrepellents.com/

The ThermaCell portable, corldless mosquito appliance is great way to protect yourself from biting mosquitoes and black flies. The reusable appliance comes with one butane cartridge and three repellent mats good for up to twelve hours of continous protection (refill kits available below). Just slide in a repellent mat, switch the unit to the on position and push the automatic ignitor. Protects an area 15' by 15' (225 sq.ft.). Outdoor use only.

Images

Default Skin so bitten...

JLB: I used to hike with Skin so Soft. Most of the time it was "adequate" for where I'm at in KY, but I've been in areas in SC and areas on the AT where it was pretty much useless against the little blood suckers. These days I'm hiking with 30% DEET - seems to be as effective as 100% DEET, and doesn't take a few layers of skin with it every time it is applied.

See ya in the woods,
    Ky Thru

Sorry, this is their home page:
    http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/pro...cordless.shtml

That was a retail site before.

Default Keep your politics off Whiteblaze!!!

JLB-"I was going to register there, until his John Kerry banner ad popped up"
    JLB, If you are so concerned and upset with Trailplace having political banners, why must you do the same obnoxious thing here? I don't give a damn what you think, keep it off your posting. You are a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    JLB, If you are so concerned and upset with Trailplace having political banners, why must you do the same obnoxious thing here? I don't give a damn what you think, keep it off your posting. You are a hypocrite.
    I don't care about political banners, I just don't like people who betray their country. That's why I didn't register at Trailplace. No hypocrisy here.

You are welcome to disagree.

People betray their country by committing atrocities, abusing prisoners, committing crimes, ripping people off, and sending others to their deaths, not by pointing out these abuses. Some people seem to get this backward.

Meanwhile, I recommend the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus bug lotion - seems to work quite well, and doesn't contain DEET.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default Stop!

There are many places on the 'net where amateur political discussions are appropriate.

This isn't one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker
    JLB: I used to hike with Skin so Soft. Most of the time it was "adequate" for where I'm at in KY, but I've been in areas in SC and areas on the AT where it was pretty much useless against the little blood suckers. These days I'm hiking with 30% DEET - seems to be as effective as 100% DEET, and doesn't take a few layers of skin with it every time it is applied.

See ya in the woods,
    Ky Thru

using the 100% deet (which by the way is only 95% deet) vs 30% deet you don't carrry or use as much product

btw I like KERRY.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Dances with Mice, have you hiked the Georgia Loop again since Youngblood & I saw you out on the Benton MacKaye Trail? I'm talking to the Mountain High Hikers in Ellijay on June 1. They maintain the Duncan Ridge Trail. If you want to attend the meeting, drop me a note at [email protected].

Hey, I think you're wasting your breath about this politico discussion. The guy who posted it is just trying to grab some attention. Earlier today he posted that he owns a machine gun. Another great attention grabbing posting. Look at post #7 above. This guy isn't a backpacker. Ignore him and he'll eventually go away.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Default DEET works better at 30%

While it is counter-intuitive, DEET is easier and more effectively applied at 30%. The oily 100% is just too viscous to apply evenly and avoid waste.

While DEET is frightening to some as it is a chemical, there are absolutely no clinical grounds to avoid the stuff. It is the only agent (other than permethrine) thus far proven to reduce insect bites, especially mosquitos. Any risk and inconvenience of DEET pales in comparison to Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and West Nile Virus.

Bill....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    While it is counter-intuitive, DEET is easier and more effectively applied at 30%. The oily 100% is just too viscous to apply evenly and avoid waste.

While DEET is frightening to some as it is a chemical, there are absolutely no clinical grounds to avoid the stuff. It is the only agent (other than permethrine) thus far proven to reduce insect bites, especially mosquitos. Any risk and inconvenience of DEET pales in comparison to Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and West Nile Virus.

Bill....
    Ok whatever you think...I disagree 100% (95%) is my choice.

but about this Kerry question..you like him??

Images

My only beef with 100% is that it typically made wherever it was applied red and raw feeling, especially my arms and legs...probably because I was applying too much. I don't know about the weight...I carried the same size spray bottle of 100% as I do 30%, granted had I used a smaller quantity of 100%, the weight difference would have been there over time.

Take care,
    Ky Thru who isn't touching the Kerry question with a 10' Leki...

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default Hey, Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Dances with Mice, have you hiked the Georgia Loop again since Youngblood & I saw you out on the Benton MacKaye Trail? I'm talking to the Mountain High Hikers in Ellijay on June 1. They maintain the Duncan Ridge Trail. If you want to attend the meeting, drop me a note at [email protected].
    Yes, sir, I did it again a few weeks ago. Carried a small spray bottle of full strength DEET but never used it.

I started at Amicalola this year & went counter-clockwise. Starting at AFSP was a mistake, the Approach Trail to Springer was ok but that same 8 miles downhill to end the hike was no fun.

Funny you should mention the Loop today - I came to a campsite late one day on the DRT & couldn't find a place to pitch my tent. All of the flat sites were full of blooming Ladyslipper Orchids! Fortunately I have a Megalite floorless tent, I had to set up over one and slept on the opposite side of the tent. Sharing a tent with rare flowers wasn't a problem on the AT portion, of course. Anyway, that got me to thinking about hammocks and the REI sale pushed me over the edge. I ordered a HH Explorer Ultralite and it was waiting when I came home today! I'll probably run out this weekend to give this puppy a whirl. I'll bet the Taccoa bridge will be a zoo, but I've been wanting to check out the campsite at Bryson Gap, and I think I located a couple of old Indian graves that I wanted to photograph on the way there. So Sunday nite, if you're in the area...

Yes, I'll e-mail you. I made note of some places that really need maintenance, and one stretch that just plain needs to be relocated. But mostly it's in good shape. I reserved a place on trailjournals to put in my notes & pictures, and if I ever stay at home on a weekend I'll load them

Registered Troll
    Images

That ThermaCell seems quite expensive. Not the devise, but the refills you'd have to constantly buy.

Jan LiteShoe used catnip oil. I read one study that said catnip oil repels bugs better than DEET. And it's natural.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++