WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    hmmm....

What I am NOT giving up to do a thru-hike:
    * committment to filling my role as father / provider. My wife and I decided to have children, a decision I have NEVER regretted. I now have 2 in college, and one who is 13. They all need me in one way or another
    * a decent job that allows me to fill the role above....
    * a hope that one day, maybe when my youngest finishes high school, he and I can do a LONG section and finish what we haven't done as section hikers at that point....
    Everyone's life situation comes about because of the choices they have made. You made the conscious choice to have a wife and children, and even said so. I made the conscious choice NOT to have a wife or children. For better or worse, our beds are made, we have to lie in them regardless. Nobody forced you into marriage and children.

I don't mean to put a damper on the thread - it's great that some are in the position that they can take off for 4 - 6 months and do a hike. Do I dream of taking off and leaving all responsibility, hike back into shape, and enjoy being a "free spirit?" Sure, but that's not my idea of "shooting for the stars," nor is it the example I want to set for my sons. I also know that my wife would lose complete respect for me if I did so at this point in our lives....

Yes, but you are putting a damper on the thread. It's great that you want to be a good father, but don't rain on my parade, just because of the life choices you've made. I've been planning a thru-hike since I was 18, saving while in college, and living in ratholes to save money, even during my professional career.

I am 32 years old now, and I'm not about to let anybody ruin this for me. I've put myself in a position to thru-hike the AT, busting my @$$, and saving every dime I've made. It's not something that's just fallen into my lap!

I consider section hiking an investment in the wellbeing of my soul. I get so much more out of it than the $$ (and the far more precious time) than I could ever spend on it. The reward is mostly in the people I've met.
    I plan on a thruhike after I retire, though my knees might not be up to it by then.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nero View Post
    <clip>I am 32 years old now, and I'm not about to let anybody ruin this for me. I've put myself in a position to thru-hike the AT, busting my @$$, and saving every dime I've made. It's not something that's just fallen into my lap!
    No arguments from me....I think you read into my post things that I did not intend nor post.....

My post was in response to the implication that only those who "drop everything" are truly happy. I am truly happy living the life that I have chosen. The implication that those like me who are choosing to live a life responsible for others are not "truly happy" was something that I had to respond to. I am happy being responsible to and for the decisions I have made. I could make a long argument about why I think this type of attitude is directly responsible for many of the societal issues we have now, but this would be a major thread hijack and result only in a lot of argument, so I choose not to.

I also was supportive of those like you, who have made choices to enable them to do a long hike. You are being resonsible to and for the decisions you have made, and apparently have worked hard to make your dream happen. Congrats! I'm not sure why such a harsh response.....no attempt here to "ruin your hike."

Sat down with my son last night to plan our next section....has to be a short hike this summer because of other committments. Mooney Gap to Wesser - 38 miles to the Nantahala, then a day of rafting!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Default What I am and am not giving up to hike

My son and I will be thru-hiking in '11.
    What I'm temporarliy giving up:
    a lucrative birth practice which I will have to rebuild when we get back
    the comforts of home (MY bed, regular showers, bubble baths)
    sex
    my husband's cooking

What I'm not giving up:
    my dream of thru hiking the AT (been fantisizing and dreaming of this for over 35 years; planning, prepping, training and saving for the last year)
    the experience of a lifetime, shared with my son
    finishing my sons' homeschool education
    my marriage (25 years next April)
    our home (mortgage will be paid off no later than June 2012)

As you can see, I think and plan carefully for my dreams to come true. We have arranged our lives to make this happen. I'm telling my moms who are having their babies now that if they want me at their next birth, do not get pregnant in the last half of '10.

Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too.

I believe dreams keep us alive.

2016 - Bicycling Ireland with my husband, if he quits smoking. If not, I will steal my girlfriend from her husband and take her and possibly her oldest daughter.

2021 - Hiking Greece

2026 - Seriously considering rafting the Nile.

2031 - If I can't find anything else that burns a desire into my soul, I'll laugh and drink too much, tell outrageous stories and outlive my doctor. Also planning to seriously corrupt my grandchildren.
    Dee
    healthymom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I think a thruhike is a life altering event for a lot of people. I did the same thing others have alluded to here...quit a good corporate job, sold, gave away or threw away virtually all of my stuff. I wandered the country with my pack, 3 suitcases and 4 plastic storage boxes in the trunk of my car.

When I got off the trail I tried to go back to the same type of job I had had before, but it just didn't fit anymore, so I quit after a few months...I spent the next 3 years or so moving around the country doing different kinds of work...mostly working below my ability/skill set. I did things like work nights at a convenience store, deliver pizza.

What's funny is now that I've settled down a bit and seem to have gotten on track I'm starting to itch to do it again.
    Not giving up a damn thing! No kids, no bills and retiring from the the military on my terms after 20 years this coming February. Been smart enough to save and invest over the last 17 years and at age 39 I will collect a military pension check (E-7 rate) each month for the rest of my life. Definitely looking forward to many hiking adventures and meeting some of the wonderful folks on trail that I've conversed with here on W.B.!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TV View Post
    sorry the double post. meant to make this a new topic as it is now.

how many of you 45+ers are just taking a leave from your job, or are well-suited money-wise, and are leaving your house in the hands of someone else?

in order to make this dream finally come true, i'm probably going to have to quit the job (and security) that i've had for 16 years.

i also will be selling my house so i don't have to worry about mortgage payments.

probably sell a good deal of my furniture and stuff as well so i don't have to store it. i could also use the money to finance the trip as well.

the big question is, what do i do when i finish the trail (providing i finish the trail?)

well, the short answer is i plan to work somewhere for 6 months, save as much as possible, then do the pct. afterward, if i'm still alive, do the same thing for 6 months then hike the cdt.

now you might say that i am being foolish planning like this and leaving myself no net if things don't work out on the trail. and if i were a young tot i might agree. but at 51, and after dreaming about this my ENTIRE life (no kidding) if things DON'T work out on the trail, i have absolutely no idea what i will do with the rest of my life, so i'll be starting from scratch again anyway.

i almost feel like i need to corner myself into leaving no choice but to get on the trail in 2010, because i'm afraid if i don't back myself into a corner, i may never take the leap to hike the AT at all.

really really really so want to do the trail in 2010. but very afraid of losing security.

does any of this make sense? inputs welcome.

thanks
    Should've posted under this thread...
    Not giving up a damn thing! No kids, no bills and retiring from the the military on my terms after 20 years this coming February. Been smart enough to save and invest over the last 17 years and at age 39 I will collect a military pension check (E-7 rate) each month for the rest of my life. Definitely looking forward to many hiking adventures and meeting some of the wonderful folks on trail that I've conversed with here on W.B.!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TV View Post
    sorry the double post. meant to make this a new topic as it is now.

how many of you 45+ers are just taking a leave from your job, or are well-suited money-wise, and are leaving your house in the hands of someone else?

in order to make this dream finally come true, i'm probably going to have to quit the job (and security) that i've had for 16 years.

i also will be selling my house so i don't have to worry about mortgage payments.

probably sell a good deal of my furniture and stuff as well so i don't have to store it. i could also use the money to finance the trip as well.

the big question is, what do i do when i finish the trail (providing i finish the trail?)

well, the short answer is i plan to work somewhere for 6 months, save as much as possible, then do the pct. afterward, if i'm still alive, do the same thing for 6 months then hike the cdt.

now you might say that i am being foolish planning like this and leaving myself no net if things don't work out on the trail. and if i were a young tot i might agree. but at 51, and after dreaming about this my ENTIRE life (no kidding) if things DON'T work out on the trail, i have absolutely no idea what i will do with the rest of my life, so i'll be starting from scratch again anyway.

i almost feel like i need to corner myself into leaving no choice but to get on the trail in 2010, because i'm afraid if i don't back myself into a corner, i may never take the leap to hike the AT at all.

really really really so want to do the trail in 2010. but very afraid of losing security.

does any of this make sense? inputs welcome.

thanks
    Whatever you decide to do, I wish you only the best of luck! If I laid off the Captain's and coke I probably could've have knocked this out in one thread vs. three its taken! My bad!

No arguments from me....I think you read into my post things that I did not intend nor post.....

My post was in response to the implication that only those who "drop everything" are truly happy. I am truly happy living the life that I have chosen. The implication that those like me who are choosing to live a life responsible for others are not "truly happy" was something that I had to respond to. I am happy being responsible to and for the decisions I have made.
    ... and that's great Steve, but it's not in spirit of the original post. In fact, I'm not sure where you got the idea that there was an implication that ONLY those who are free spirits are "truly happy." Dropping everything works for some, obviously it doesn't work for you.

I also was supportive of those like you, who have made choices to enable them to do a long hike. You are being resonsible to and for the decisions you have made, and apparently have worked hard to make your dream happen. Congrats! I'm not sure why such a harsh response.....no attempt here to "ruin your hike."
    ... and I was supportive of the fact, you choose to be a responsible father. Not all of us are so lucky to have a family. Maybe you didn't mean to come off as: "hey look at me, I'm the responsible one" but that's sure how I took it. If that's not what you were after, then I apologize.

Sat down with my son last night to plan our next section....has to be a short hike this summer because of other committments. Mooney Gap to Wesser - 38 miles to the Nantahala, then a day of rafting!
    Happy hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PUNKINPUSS11 View Post
    <clip>I Am Slowly Starting 2 Realize That No One Is Truely Happy, Except The People That Drop Everything And Shoot For The Stars. I Love Free Spirits.......
    Quote Originally Posted by nero View Post
    <clip>In fact, I'm not sure where you got the idea that there was an implication that ONLY those who are free spirits are "truly happy." Dropping everything works for some, obviously it doesn't work for you. <clip>
    Posting this clip for the third time: I was responding to the above quote: "No One Is Truely Happy, Except The People That Drop Everything And Shoot For The Stars." I strongly disagree with this statement and the philosophy it represents. Anything else you read into my post was not intended nor stated!

I have to back SteveJ here. He's much like I am, although I've never met him, cognizant of his reponsibilities that he chose. I would take off today to hike, my pack is loaded and in my office as we speak. But I too have two children in college, one that just graduated with a Master's degree, a great wife and a house that's almost paid for. I look at my pack every day and dream of that day when I can say I'm gone.

But you must understand that family comes before what is a truly selfish act, to take off and hike, leaving your loved ones (and 4 rescue dogs) behind, leaving them with no real security blanket. For those of you who can, I applaud your efforts and enthusiasm to sell it all and go. But for some of us, who chose to take the family path and endure the responsibility that it entails, please don't condemn our choices. I think that each situation is in itself totally unique, and up to that person to make the right choice.

I put some thought into it, and I don't think I'm really giving up anything. I've lived with nothing before and I am looking forward to living with nothing again. Well, aside from whats on my back that is. I think the only thing aside from women I'll be missing, is surfing..... No ocean for months?! Ahh the sacrifices we must make......see y'all March 2010!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Olokun82 View Post
    <clip>I think the only thing aside from women I'll be missing, is surfing..... No ocean for months?! Ahh the sacrifices we must make......see y'all March 2010!
    Now, that's sacrifice!

A maple blonde, hard bodied, screaming, squeeling...

Fender Stratocaster...bow-cha-bow-bow

"now you might say that i am being foolish planning like this and leaving myself no net if things don't work out on the trail. and if i were a young tot i might agree. but at 51, and after dreaming about this my ENTIRE life (no kidding) if things DON'T work out on the trail, i have absolutely no idea what i will do with the rest of my life, so i'll be starting from scratch again anyway."

When I'm 51, I hope this is exactly what I'm doing.

"it's not how old I am, it's how young I feel"
    Minor Threat

Quote Originally Posted by Brian (aka Skippy) View Post
    A maple blonde, hard bodied, screaming, squeeling...
    What, you mean you can't get that on the trail ??? Ain't you never heard of 'Pink Blazing' ??

HAIRNT !

I'm and ER Nurse... spent 4 years in the Navy as a medic and then 7+ years as "tech" working in the ER... spent years going to school, moving around etc..

I'm giving up a job I'm not totally fond of and that entails a high level of stress and life or death decisions, leaving my dog in the able hands of someone in my family. I'm taking on 2 roomies in the house I own to help pay for expenses and the trip. I don't care about the TV, the cell, the security. Tired of working 12 hour nights at two hospitals to "make it". Fortunate that there will always be a job for me somewhere when I leave the trail... Question will be do I still want to do that job.

The timing cant be more perfect... I'm single, 35, female and this may be the last bit of "drop it all" freedom I may have. I suspect that sometime in the future there may be a life of kids and a relationship but for now the trail calls.

Thumbs up

I am not giving up anything yet, but hope someday to be able to give up whatever it takes to complete a thru hike.
    In the meantime, we just recently built our dream home log cabin in Unionville, NY just off the trail at Quarry road.
    For all of you out there hiking the trail - my goal is to be in a position next year to host some bonfire nights and provide a hearty meal to any thru-hiker that wants one. Feel free to look us up when you are in this area.
    I bought this property pretty much because it borders the trail. If I win the lottery I will be building the coolest free hostel, cooking the best food and meeting the best people that pass by.... right after I complete my thru hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sleegunn View Post
    I am not giving up anything yet, but hope someday to be able to give up whatever it takes to complete a thru hike.
    In the meantime, we just recently built our dream home log cabin in Unionville, NY just off the trail at Quarry road.
    For all of you out there hiking the trail - my goal is to be in a position next year to host some bonfire nights and provide a hearty meal to any thru-hiker that wants one. Feel free to look us up when you are in this area.
    I bought this property pretty much because it borders the trail. If I win the lottery I will be building the coolest free hostel, cooking the best food and meeting the best people that pass by.... right after I complete my thru hike!
    Welcome, Sleegun! Congrats on your new home! A cabin in the mountains sounds pretty good right now in the dry, hot south!

Well seeing as I'm 23, unemployed and single the only thing I will be giving up is my car. Selling it to fund my thru. All this talk of resposnibility is making me want a beer or 6.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sex & Backpacking toys......
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++