WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Smile Crisis of Conscience

This is a very thought provoking thread. It's caused me to do some serious soul searching in the last several days. Like some of the other folks who have posted here, I'm satisfied with the way I've lived my life. But I've still got this itch to hike the trail. In fact it's about the only thing on my bucket list left to do. Rather than put all my ruminations here, you can read about them in in my trail journal if you're interested. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=296422
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Recently I've made a decision to get out and do something with my life. I'm not sure why, but I feel like something's missing, like I haven't "done" anything. I've dreamed of hiking the AT for years and I belive in my heart I'm in need of an adventure. I need to experience life, the way it's meant to be experience. I recently landed a job with CenturyLink as a work at home technician for their DSL customers. It's a cake job and not too much stress, but On April 2, 2010 I will be giving it all up. I'm leaving myself no safety net, no backup plan for the "What if I fails questions?". I plan acquire all my gear and start out solo in an attempt to find myself. Once I finish the AT, I don't know where I'll go, but I have 5 months to think about it. I'm starting my planning and I there's no going back in my mind. I'm going to do this. Just curious is there anyone else that feels they're doing this to find themselves?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Giving up

Boy..do I have a list. No special order though.
    Clean cloths..
    Daily shower
    Indoor plumbing
    Morning paper
    Large selection of food
    A soft bed
    Electricity
    My wife
    My kids
    My grandkids
    My fishing boat
    My swimming pool
    My friends
    home cooked meals
    television
    news
    If I think a little more,I could add some more.
    The thing is that to have a sucessfull thru-hike you have to learn quickly that you have to give up quite a few creature comforts to do a thru.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Boy..do I have a list. ...
    The thing is that to have a sucessfull thru-hike you have to learn quickly that you have to give up quite a few creature comforts to do a thru.
    I've got all those things too but in my heart of hearts, the only ones I'll really miss are the wife and the grandkids.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]

I'm giving up nothing and gaining everything...

My first thought was I was giving up nothing. When I get back from the trail, I'll resume my job, go back to sleeping in my bed, keep living in my house. But reading others' answers I realize I'll be giving up my dog, my husband, and my horse for several months, and that's gonna be hard.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seabrookhiker View Post
    ...I'll be giving up my dog, my husband, and my horse for several months, and that's gonna be hard.
    In that order?
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]

This is especially for TV who started this thread. Lots of good thoughts. Good to figure out options..which is why I think you first wrote. For me: 55, I was able to retire from a university position a few months ago with enough years in to get health insurance. My retirement is half my previous income and I'm making that work. I retired because I just knew it was time for this adventure. I've got someone who will be housesitting and someone else who wanted my garden plot. Will sell my car with 240,000 miles or junk it. I'd say: search your heart and you'll know. You'll know it's time to go OR it's time to keep searching. I'll start with the intent to go all 2000+ miles but also know that going with the flow might change that.

You guys have no idea how encouraging all of these post are to me. I too am planning on doing just what TV described. I was asked by family members "what are you going to do when you finish?" I said I guess I will find out when the time comes. I am planning on starting my Hike in 2011. Good luck to you TV maybe our paths will cross on day.

Hand Me Down
    Images

the only thing im gonna really miss is my dog and the 2010 world cup soccer. oh well.

thanks pollywog!

Journal Entries

i've been down and out since the recsent death of both of my parents. being the young wild guy i am. the other family members have seen it best to handle my parents estate. since this i have slowly watch any dream my parents had for their things was quickly put on the back burner so that the remaining family could fight for all the money and belongings.
    thru all this madness and grief i have come to relize that my aunts and uncles are stuck in the greed issue instead of giving praise to the two people who gave up alot just to keep the farm and as soon as they leave this life all these greedy people chose to sell it. and split the profit.
    well i took my share and paid the funeral bill. thru the fitt throwing and mixed emotions i managed to get myself a divorce. this thru hike is not about what i'm leaving behind but what isn't where i'm at anymore. i feel like everything i've put faith and effort in has failed in the bitter end of things.
    i plan on honering any faith i have of my mommas advice on living and taking that faith to maine. maybe by then life will mean something again.
    the people on this forom lets me know that there is people in this world who actually care about the little things in life that make you feel life isn't all about property and control.
    i wish everyone a safe trip and happiness.

rest in peace; wendy and tim pearson.

your loving son will never forget the memories of adventure you have spoiled him into loving so much. thanks for the good start on life.

Journal Entries

Retired from the Coast Guard in 96. Retiring from teach now. Giving up my wife, she will stay home! Other that that, very little. This will be by second try at it.

Taking a yearlong break from college, I was getting burned out anyways.

Your post title asked, "What am I giving up."

Well... I'm quitting my job, giving up my apartment, selling a lot of my possessions, placing my dog (who is like my child) into a foster situation for six months, selling my car, cashing out my retirement plan .... so I guess I'm with you ... I'm "giving up" security. BUT....

I would ask you .... what are you GAINING? For me, I'm gaining a sense of pride in myself for making a dream into a reality. I'm gaining a strength that I will carry for the rest of my life ... I'm gaining respect from others, but most of all from myself ... for taking a risk to LIVE my life and not simply survive it. Of all of the "things" that I will be giving up ... none of them can give me what pursuing my goal of thru hiking the AT can.

To be honest, I see it more as a trade than a loss ... I'm trading a life of "security" (which I find quite boring) for a life of challenging adventure, new experiences and hopefully lots of new friends. That's a trade I'd make everyday.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Giving up to hike

Quote Originally Posted by walkin_in_2010 View Post
    Your post title asked, "What am I giving up."

Well... I'm quitting my job, giving up my apartment, selling a lot of my possessions, placing my dog (who is like my child) into a foster situation for six months, selling my car, cashing out my retirement plan .... so I guess I'm with you ... I'm "giving up" security. BUT....

I would ask you .... what are you GAINING? For me, I'm gaining a sense of pride in myself for making a dream into a reality. I'm gaining a strength that I will carry for the rest of my life ... I'm gaining respect from others, but most of all from myself ... for taking a risk to LIVE my life and not simply survive it. Of all of the "things" that I will be giving up ... none of them can give me what pursuing my goal of thru hiking the AT can.

To be honest, I see it more as a trade than a loss ... I'm trading a life of "security" (which I find quite boring) for a life of challenging adventure, new experiences and hopefully lots of new friends. That's a trade I'd make everyday.
    Well said brother..Happy trails to you.
    Grampie-N->2001

Hey Grampie-N->2001,

Glad you liked my post. Small correction ... I'm a "Sister" ... not a "Brother." :-)

All trails are happy, if we can remember that it's the journey, not the destination, that's important.

Cheers.

I'm fostering my dog, who I'll greatly miss.
    I'm giving up ICE too.
    ~Sigh~ ~K2~

Images

So many of the things you give up to hike....you will appreciate more upon your return.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~Lao-tzu Bear Mountain's Avatar
    I'd rather be lost in the woods than found in the city.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sir, I would like to address your inquiry from the heart and personal experience. In the spring of 2005 I came to terms with similar thoughts. After months of internal litigation it was decided I would sell all that I own and move into a tear-drop camper towed by a Jeep. Selling those personal affects was liberating. Often I found myself wondering why they were purchased to begin with. This began as a six month experiment and at the end of six months I pondered my success. If I could do it for six months why not twelve? Twelve later became eighteen and nearly five years later I'm still living under the same conditions as when it all began. It has been an extraordinary experience in life. During this years thru-hike I will contemplate selling the Jeep, camper and all of its contents and set out foot for God knows how long. Throughout the time I have lived on the road I've picked up jobs here and there and have truly understood the saying, "We don't own stuff, stuff own us" no matter the quantity. So I'm rooting for ya! ~BEAR
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did... Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++