WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Climbing Spy rock

I took a day hike to Spy Rock yesterday with my six year old son and seventeen year old daughter. I was running short on time so I didn't have time to find a good way to the top. I tried to my immediate right and left of the rock. I did not circle to the rear. I did not see a suitable route for a youngster. I'm not sure I saw an easy route for myself. How have others climbed this rock. You do not have to climb this rock to continue on the trail, but I would imagine most thrus would climb it because the spur trail is so close to the AT. one minute walk.

Heading north, I climbed up it on the south side and recall it being a bit "trickier" than I felt comfortable with, so I climbed down it on the north side. That way was longer but easier. By north and south, I am talking about as the trail goes, not necessarily compass directions. If my recollection is correct, I'd think the climb either way would be a bit challenging for a six year old.

Quote Originally Posted by gettingJx View Post
    When i read this topic, i think about that sort of things http://sourceradix.com/m/mon.html
    You may check that, and most likely it would change your mind. Whatever.
    you lost me!

Once, my GF and I climbed it. She was NOT going down the same way we went up. So all around it I looked for a good place to go down. Found a way like 1/3 of the way around counter clock wise. Big mistake, the rhodies tore us up getting back to the trail. Go up and down on the trail is probably the best way
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

I remember a pine tree near a crack that you had to use to climb up. I don't remember it being easy, but do know we made it up with packs...

Gravity

its been a few years but as I remember it we went up the trail north side (ie facing the rock from the trail we went up the left side) - nothing too complicated as I recall

Facing the rock from the trail side, the approach side, go about 20 feet or so to your right to a pretty big crack that also has some kind of tree or sapling growing in it, you can clamber up that way pretty easily. But I can never find my way down that way and always have a harder time coming down than going up!

++ New Posts ++