WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default shoe/boot/croc dilemma!

I am wondering what shoes I should bring with me and what to leave behind... I just purchased a great pair of northface (goretex) shoes on sale and have been using them for long day hikes the past couple of days and love everything about them.

I am wondering if I could use those over boots, shaving that extra weight. Are boots a must? Would crocs have use? Letting my feet air out? Creek crossings?

I know one thing... 3 pairs of shoes are totally over-kill!!! I'd love to know what worked for any vets...

Thanks
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Boots aren't required. If you have shoes that give you good support, no blisters, and are quick drying go with them. You'll probably want lightweight camp shoes like Crocs or sandals to change to at night and maybe to ford streams. You'll most likely wear out the shoes, so plan for a backup purchase at some point. Enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

boots or shoes, depending on what you like better and crocs work good for 'camp shoes'/creek crossings

seen a few people hike in crocs they had really dirty feet
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

If your pack weight is under 35 pounds and have some trail experience then boots are not necessary. Gore Tex in summer is not necessary. If you were hiking with boots then camp footwear is more desirable. In the past I always carried crocs/Holley's but my next trip I am going with just Trail Runners(24oz. for the pair).

Any option will work so find what works for you in that situation/section. I tend to recomend boots to someone who has never backpacked before and let them graduate to something else once they are conditioned and have their pack weight down to protect their ankles.

Images

I use one pair of trail runners. I have Goretex socks for snow.

In camp I open the laces up all the way and wear my trail runners gangsta style without socks. No crocs.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Garlic
    Images

What SGT Rock said.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I've been hiking for over 30 years. No camp shoes. When I used boots, I did what Rock does. When I switched to low top hikers, then trail runners, I did the same thing. I use Sealskinz socks for wet weather. They probably don't breathe as well as Gore-tex but they fit me well and keep the mud (and snow) off.
    Gore-tex lined boots are too hot for me.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I wear light trail runners for hiking, and bring rubber clogs for camp. I tried several trips without the camp shoes, and decided they were worth the extra weight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Midweight boots for hiking (2 lbs, 4 oz), Crocs (12 oz) or lightweight slip-on sandals (6.6 oz) for camp.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

you'll be glad you brought the croc's. not much weight.

Images

light weight hiking boots(16oz) and vibram five fingers(11oz)...works for me!

I use trail runners coupled with neoprene socks for fringe season hikes / snow. Loosen up the laces on my runners for camp use. Ford in bare feet, or in neoprene socks, or in my trail runners with socks and insoles removed- They dry out pretty fast.

Default Go with imitation Crocs

My observation is that imitation Crocs are both lighter and cheaper than the real Crocs. Hit the dollar store and you'll probably find a pair for about $5. IMO, it's worth the weight.

2012 SOBO
    Images

Maybe I'm too big of a gram counter, but considering this is the UL forum I'll voice my opinion.

I think crocs are a "trendy/fad item" and far too heavy to carry backpacking; there is more material than is needed on those if you're trying to keep your bag weight down. Flip flops or sandals will work fine if you must have separate foot protection for camps/streams.

Or...if you want to go UL try making homemade flip flops using old insoles and some cord. It's over 10x lighter than many of the options above, keeps your feet clean, and allows 'em to dry out. I wouldn't go wading across moving water with 'em though. YMMV (greatly in this case, heh)

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Trail runners to hike in and crocs for camp on tired aching feet worked for me.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Thumbs up

I brought Crocs on a trip to Philmont a few years ago. Didn't need them and ended up giving them to a buddy who hiked in boots and had no camp shoes. he liked 'em. I use trail runners. So light & so comfortable I have no need for camp shoes. I like the idea of removing insoles for stream crossings. I have just removed socks but that seems like a better idea. Either way they seem to dry fast. As has been said, the key to success with trail runners is a LIGHT PACK.

++ New Posts ++