WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trash or Useful?

I am starting my NOBO solo next week and have a question. Along the way, like everyone else, I will re-up supplies like spices, hot sauce, Gold Bond...etc.

Is it kosher to leave excess stuff like that in shelters for others to use once I have replenished my container? I was thinking I would leave a note with name/date/time and reason it is sitting there for the taking so people won't think there is an "AT poisoner" lurking. Is this common?

I am sure I will meet folks to go in on and split stuff before we hit the trial again, but I hate to waste anything especially if others would consider it a score when they got to that shelter.

That what hostel hiker boxes are for. Please don't leave stuff at shelters.

Just kidding, but seriously. RememberYourZen's Avatar

yeah toss em in hiker boxes along the way, someone will def come by and grab them up and you wont be trashing up the shelters!

Yea, I am familiar with the hostel boxes. But I didn't intend on going to too many. Perhaps it is just better to trash em at the store instead of leaving stuff on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyT View Post
    Is it kosher to leave excess stuff like that in shelters for others to use
    Absolutely not. It's much more likely to wind up as trash than treasure.

I am starting my NOBO solo next week and have a question. Along the way, like everyone else, I will re-up supplies like spices, hot sauce, Gold Bond...etc.

Is it kosher to leave excess stuff like that in shelters for others to use once I have replenished my container? I was thinking I would leave a note with name/date/time and reason it is sitting there for the taking so people won't think there is an "AT poisoner" lurking. Is this common?

I am sure I will meet folks to go in on and split stuff before we hit the trial again, but I hate to waste anything especially if others would consider it a score when they got to that shelter.
    it wouldn't bother me if you left stuff in the shelters. they're pretty well trashed anyway

Garlic
    Images

One of the reasons I disliked the AT shelters was all the leftover stuff lying around.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I shoot anyone found leaving "good stuff" at the leanto that I maintain. Don't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I shoot anyone found leaving "good stuff" at the leanto that I maintain. Don't do it!
    maybe you shouldn't maintain a shelter if it angers you so.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    shelters and privies are a waste of good building materials... they are leavings that invite more leavings

At least a few years ago GATC and the NC maintaining clubs posted at the shelters not to leave anything and they tended to be quite agressive at getting rid of anything that people left anyhow.

Images

Yea, I am familiar with the hostel boxes. But I didn't intend on going to too many. Perhaps it is just better to trash em at the store instead of leaving stuff on the trail.
    Heck, it's rare for there not to be at least one other hiker shopping for supplies when you are in the store/outfitter. My bet is it won't be hard to find another hiker that's going to the very hostel that you are smart enough to bypass.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Images

Offer the stuff to other hikers. We were section hikers with too much food and took some to share. The thrus we met were happy to get it but did not ask for it and will take it if it is offered graciously. They like extras, especially spices and packets they can use on the spot. They love cheese and summer sausage if you are sharing at lunch. They loved the dried fruit too. I had dehydrated it and had way too much of it. If they don't want it, they will say so. Then leave in town at a hiker box or similar deal.

Images

Please don't leave anything at the shelters. Here in Pa., my maintainers are "under orders" to remove anything (ANYTHING) that's been abandoned, whether it's useful or not. Food, equipment, beer...it all goes out as trash (well, maybe the beer gets used before the trip out....)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

DO NOT EVER leave food or other supplies at shelters.

a) Maintainers will take all left items out. Since we dont know how long it has been there, we dont know if it is still good. All 'unauthorized' items left in the shelter are removed.

b) Food left in shelter is more likely to become animal food than hiker food. This will cause animals (not just mice) to start hanging around shelters more often. Dont feed the wildlife. Fed animals can become dead animals.

c) Hikers arent likely to add items to their packs while in the woods. Unless they are running low on food themselves. Resupplies are done in town or hostels. It will be better to find hikers at your resupply points.

I've always felt that the only things that may be left at a shelter are a. extra fuel b. a large water carrying implement, and c. a book (in a protected register box so's a mouse doesn't tear it up). All of these things can be life savers.

It would be an especially good idea to label the Gold Bond powder. Someone might try to stick it up their nose.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    shelters and privies are a waste of good building materials... they are leavings that invite more leavings
    Spare us.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Another maintainer here asking hikers to please not leave unwanted gear, food, expendibles, etc. behind at shelters.

As others here have said, we just have to pack it out. It is rare that a hiker will ever take any of this stuff. Left-behinds also send a message to others that they can leave all their unwanted stuff too, and they add it to the pile. Then we have to carry out even more stuff. What the critters haven't shredded, of course.

Hiker boxes at hostels, outfitters, etc. are the proper place to leave stuff for other hikers. If you can't get there, please just carry it out and put it in the next trash can you come to, or offer it to hikers you meet in the woods.

Skyline
    Hut maintainer in SNP

I can never understand why someone who goes to the trouble of carrying stuff in, can't figure out that they need to carry it out. Pretty simple really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++