WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: wildhogs

The ranger described the weapon as a magazine fed carbine that looks like a standard M-16 with a heavy barrell like one woiuld find on a varmit rifle. A flash supressor/silencer is in place on the end of the barrel as well. The shell looks like a pistol round with a straight necked casing, not a graduated brass cartridge like that used by other high caliber rifles.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I don't recall what shelter we were at, but I believe it was still in GA. During the night we heard a huge commotion with Dogs chasing wild boars and shotgun blasts ringing through the forest. Must have been hunting with night vision. We heard later the NFS pays hunters to thin the wild pigs because of all the damage they do. It was quite an awakening as they all came pretty close to the shelter. We didn't stay at a lot of shelters, but I was glad we weren't in a tent in the middle of that.

Saw a picture of a hogzilla a few years back. I believe it was in Alabama, where a guy driving down the road saw a huge boar, went home for his 3030 and went back for him. He got out of his truck and the hog charged him. Took several shots to finally bring him down just before he was attacked. The article said his weight was pushing #800 and he looked like the size of a small bull. Nasty ugly looking thing.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Hike smarter, not harder.

I bet the Rangers are using a supressed 300 Whisper. I want one. They estimate 2-3 BILLION in crop damage from feral hogs, last year, in Texas alone. Lesiglature here has introduced a bill to allow the hunting of feral hogs from a helicopter. Plus, hogs are omnivorous, so they destroy most of the wildlife where ever they're found.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Makes you wonder, if we can cause the extinction of so many animals, why can't we do the same with the hog?
    Hogs are smarter than the vast majority of the other wildlife out there.

Makes you wonder, if we can cause the extinction of so many animals, why can't we do the same with the hog?
    Ask the shelter mouse!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    they are trying to figure out if the american wild hogs are cross breeding with a species from europe. some of the wild boars in russia are as big as 700lbs. which would mean the hogzilla factor is true and will get alot worse. the show had a bunch of hunters with dogs trying to capture pigs so they could get hair samples for testing. if you get a chance try to catch the show on discovery PIGBOMB.
    There are no native pigs in America. Feral pigs here have various European ancestry. I'm sure that some populations are nastier than others.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    There are no native pigs in America. Feral pigs here have various European ancestry. I'm sure that some populations are nastier than others.
    not native,but called american wild pigs. the show last night kept using the term eurasian boars and they traveled to russia where the big nasty ones roam. the people down south believe the american wild pig has definitely cross bread with the russian boars. with stripes and or red hair. in the last 30 years the boars are getting bigger and meaner, harder to find,harder to kill

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Hogs are smarter than the vast majority of the other wildlife out there.
    Mine aren't. They are intensely curious, but they are dumb as dirt. I have two sows and a boar. I've called them by name while I pet them for two years. No recognition yet. But if I throw a foreign object in the pen they'll go crazy to see if it's edible.

Their children are delicious.

The problem with pigs is that they breed like rodents. It's not unusual for a momma to have twenty five babies a year. And then the babies breed, and their babies breed. And hogs don't have many natural enemies on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post

Does it bother you when we discuss your relatives?

Great avatar by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpInTheLake View Post
    Does it bother you when we discuss your relatives?

Great avatar by the way!
    Some relatives are better not discussed.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

We haven't even opened the season on them, much less put a bounty on them, far less allowed trapping, poisoning, etc. Can you imagine the uproar if they just opened GSMNP and SNP to year-round pig hunting?
    Besides, much of the extinction prob is at least exacerbated- perhaps caused- by habitat destruction. Doesn't apply (yet, at least) to pigs.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    I call BS on the bullet story. . .
    Hard to credit a little 180 grain bullet at subsonic speeds with enough penetration to kill boars. Piggies, maybe.... Piglets, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I bet the Rangers are using a supressed 300 Whisper. I want one. They estimate 2-3 BILLION in crop damage from feral hogs, last year, in Texas alone. Lesiglature here has introduced a bill to allow the hunting of feral hogs from a helicopter. Plus, hogs are omnivorous, so they destroy most of the wildlife where ever they're found.
    I sure wouldn't be worried over the feral hog population while the US human population approaches 330,000,000 now and projected to be 450,000,000 by 2050. I'd say the loss of open land and forest by chainsaw and bulldozer is a million times worse that whatever the hogs try to do. I just wish they could root up highway pavement and buildings, then we'd be talking! Biological devices for sprawl-removal: the feral pig? Naw, but I wish.

Images

Just think, no more food drops. Just hike with a pistol and a bottle of "Sweet Baby Rays"
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Just think, no more food drops. Just hike with a pistol and a bottle of "Sweet Baby Rays"
    But what happens to a backpacker's 15 pound skin-out weight when they have to hump 400 pounds of pig meat? Is there a pun in that sentence?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    But what happens to a backpacker's 15 pound skin-out weight when they have to hump 400 pounds of pig meat? Is there a pun in that sentence?
    for you and me that is not a problem. The gram weenies might want to shoot the small ones.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Hard to credit a little 180 grain bullet at subsonic speeds with enough penetration to kill boars. Piggies, maybe.... Piglets, surely.
    Ranger said the lethal range is about 75 yards max. Most often go for gut or side shot to insure penetration then let the hog just wonder off and bleed out.

Default 300 Whisper

Quote Originally Posted by chelko View Post
    The ranger described the weapon as a magazine fed carbine that looks like a standard M-16 with a heavy barrell like one woiuld find on a varmit rifle. A flash supressor/silencer is in place on the end of the barrel as well. The shell looks like a pistol round with a straight necked casing, not a graduated brass cartridge like that used by other high caliber rifles.
    As noted by SKINEWMEXICO, it's likely a custom AR conversion mfg by SSK Industries ..... the Whisper series of cartridges has proven to be very effective and readily suppressed.

.300 Whisper
    The .300 Whisper, displayed center.

Journal Entries

I cannot imagine deliberately gutshooting anything and leaving it to suffer. That violates the very core of the concept of ethical hunting.

Journal Entries

I'm familiar with the certridge and its intended use.
    humans are much easier to kill than hogs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++