WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: alcohol stoves?

Journal Entries
    Images

One thing about an alcohol stove I have noticed-it is quiet. No jet roar to break the silence and beauty of the outdoors.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Frito Lay makes a great "bean dip"stove.All it takes to create the
    stove is a push pin.Boils water to rolling just a few minutes IF you
    use a good tight windscreen.
    But I loves my Brasslite Turbo2D the most when i am in the mood
    to simmer something.
    OFT
    Keep on keeping on.

Default featherfire stove

here's some picks of a "bisquick loaf" I baked with my featherfire yesterday. baked in around 14 min on @ 1 oz of heetAttachment 5973

Attachment 5974

Attachment 5975

Attachment 5976

I like this better than the steam baking method. This way everything browns like it should

Images

Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse379 View Post
    I like this better than the steam baking method. This way everything browns like it should
    Please let me know how you did it. That looks fantastic and I'd like to try it when out on the trail, myself.

It's pretty simple, can't take the credit though. I watched one of tinny from mini bull's videos. I just folded a mini loaf pan out of aluminum foil ( about four layers ), placed it in a heavy copper bottom pot ( all i could find that my wind screen fit around ), placed a pie pan on top for a lid and viola bisquick loaf is served. My stove I can adjust the heat, so after about 5 min, I turned it down to med i'd say, and just kept checking till it was done. tinny sells heavy aluminum sheets to make ovens out of for @ 10 bucks. He also places rocks in his to avoid hot spots.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah j View Post
    I can't figure out what all the fuss is about alcohol stoves other than they are light. I have one and it takes approx 12 minutes to boil water (1/2 liter).........
    Like someone else said, not all alcohol stoves are created equally at all. I'm a dedicated Caldera Keg user and can boil 2 cups of H2O in about 4 mins or less. Obviously it takes a little longer in the cold, but this is true of pretty much all stoves. I'm pretty sure that if you tried a Caldera Cone or a Caldera Keg, you'd be instantly sold on alcohol stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah j View Post
    .......my whisper light........
    I never understood how or why MSR named that stove what they did. It's neither light, nor does it whisper. One of the loudest, more heavy stoves on the market. But, to each his own.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

aka Kudzu
    Images

I'm curious if anyone's tried Brian's stoves from OES. I love the heck out of my MacCat and these look like sweet little stoves but I haven't dropped the coin yet.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I love the stove tinney form minibull makes. Lots of other hikers were impressed by how well made it is. Boils up water really fast

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I'm curious if anyone's tried Brian's stoves from OES. I love the heck out of my MacCat and these look like sweet little stoves but I haven't dropped the coin yet.
    I've built and used stoves of that style before...I would never pay more than 50 cents for a soda can. I've also built the cat food can stove and a few others. Right now I'm using one like this because it also acts as a pot stand:

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

The truth is that performance wise almost all alcohol stoves are about the same if they are built correctly...and usually even if they're not...they will all boil 2 cups of water in under 4 minutes or so, and that is all 95% of hikers do with them. I built one just outside of NOC with a beer can and a pocket knife and carried it for several hundred miles. Most thru-hikers will eventually break down and switch to an alcohol stove because of weight and fuel availability.

The packafeather stove looks good.

I already have 2 great canister stoves but am thinking of getting an alcohol stove as a spare in case i can't get canister fuel along the trail.

PS How do all the burn craters appear in the picnic tables?

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    PS How do all the burn craters appear in the picnic tables?
    Oh. That was me. Sorry. I'll try to be more careful.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I've built and used stoves of that style before...I would never pay more than 50 cents for a soda can. I've also built the cat food can stove and a few others. Right now I'm using one like this because it also acts as a pot stand:
    True enough. I think I actually have better results with my Super Cat than with the average soda stove.

The truth is that performance wise almost all alcohol stoves are about the same if they are built correctly...and usually even if they're not...they will all boil 2 cups of water in under 4 minutes or so, and that is all 95% of hikers do with them.
    I hear this but I've never seen it. The best I've done with an alcohol stove is 5:29. Of course most times it seems to be closer to 6 or 7 min.

I built one just outside of NOC with a beer can and a pocket knife and carried it for several hundred miles.
    This is actually what I want to do. I know I can make one with my handy tin snips, drill, etc. Now I want to make a functioning stove with just some cans and my knife.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

I am trying to compare the performance of several stoves I have built with online statistics. Does anyone know the official definition of a boil? A full rolling boil or just the presence of bubbles?

Images

I made a fancy feast stove to try in cold weather opposed to my canister stove. I really enjoy the simplicity of the stove. and hardly ever use my canister anymore. Boils fairly quickly to. I use a pot cozy so I don,t worry about simmering.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Starlyte

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwheeler007 View Post
    Zelphs the man... Way better than the titanium one I bought at rei (and subsequently returned)
    He da man alright: I just received notice that the Starlyte can be purchased at backpackinglight.com! Hoping that it's not against forum policy, check it out at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...MFV5BSlKxFyiuQ
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Quote Originally Posted by gtg556h View Post
    I am trying to compare the performance of several stoves I have built with online statistics. Does anyone know the official definition of a boil? A full rolling boil or just the presence of bubbles?

The boiling point is defined as the vaporization of water. This occurs when the vapor pressure of the water is equal to the air pressure. Thus at higher elevations (lower air pressure) the temperature will be lower. The normal boiling point of water is 100*C (212*F).

But I believe you wanted to know how the stovies generally refer to this point observationally. When the water vapor bubbles appear in the bottom of the pot, only a small fraction of the water is at the boiling point. At a full rolling boil, almost all of the water is at the boiling point. Thus I use the latter observation to determine "a boil".

Images

Default SS StarLyte available commercially

I can't figure out what all the fuss is about alcohol stoves other than they are light. I have one and it takes approx 12 minutes to boil water (1/2 liter). Maybe I am impatient but my whisper light will do the same in about 2 and 1/2 minutes. any feedback,,thanks

hey thanks for info, what commercially available good stoves are there? You mention that not all are created equal.
    The "SS StarLyte" ALCOHOL stove is now available at:

BACKPACKINGLIGHT.COM

In a few years it will be the most popular on the AT. It's lightweight and vesatile. It's a one piece stove. Has a built in pot support. Once the fuel is put in, it won't spill out. It's user friendly!!!!

Support your local "Stovie"

Thanks to my "Stovie" buddies

aka Kudzu
    Images

Somebody's Compass is Broke

That's what BPL tells me. Maybe this link will work better.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++